PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    taxi24 wrote: »
    appoligies if im posting on the wrong page.Today i found a letter i received from my cc,for ppi insurance.The letter says thank you for taken out ppi on your flexible account plus cc,it offers complete peace of mind by covering most of your flexible accpurchases for 100 days,or 365 days if your purchases are made through any littlewoods catalogue,so what ever you choose to buy ie clothes ,household goods,pp can give you a brand new replacement on most of you purchases,this includes small items that are normally covered on your home insurance,in addition your monthly repayments can be paid,if you cant work due to unforeseen events such as accident,illness or involuntary unemployment,or if you dont work but live with a partner who does they can have the unemployement and disability cover,proctecting your outstanding flexible acc balance up to a maximum of £10,000.Dont forget all these benefits cost just 1.22% of your outstanding flexible aa balance, this will be clearly shown on your statement.Your certificate of insurance is enclosed to explain your new cover in more detail including how it is administered and how to make a claim.My question to you is having this letter sent out to me for ppi,would this be classed as been giving the right information about this ppi insurance,sorry for the long post,would be most obliged for any help,the letter is dated for november 2004

Looks like they gave info, did this actually cover you or a partner? if it didn't and you have reasons for mis sell, put the claim in.
  • amersall
    Options
    yogaflame wrote: »
    Money, I know it was a desperate call, think I may have to chalk this up to experience. I am going to call up and cancel my PPI when I have finished work today.
    Please excuse my ignorance and if you do not want to answer i understand but how do people prove they were mis sold? Would the banks use the same argument that they followed guidelines and that the person who sold it worked in a fair and according manner?

Regards
    Yoga

Cancel the PPI and send the complaint to FOS, you will have a long wait but do it.
    I have not read all your posts but did you have a need for PPI, could you have paid the card back should the worst happen, more importantly, were you working less than 16 hours or on a temporary contract?, use these reasons.
    You may not win but at least you will have tried, you have only the price of a fist class stamp to lose, then sit and wait, but at least at the end of it you will know.
  • amersall
    Options
    My apologies if this has been asked already; I did start researching the answer but there are only so many hours in the day! The responses I found regarding this pointed towards a SAR (that's Subject Access Request folks) but I'm not sure whether it's worth doing.
    From 1994 - 2005 I had a mortgage with Abbey (which I have the account number for) that we had PPI on (for which I don't have the account number). When we took out the mortgage we were told by Abbey that we would have to have the PPI. My wife and I split in 2005 and I thought that most of the paperwork was discarded, however recently I came across one piece of correspondence from Abbey that had our account number on.
    I contacted Santander who informed me that they didn't keep records that were more than six years old, however when I gave them my account number they completed a PPI claim with me.
    Two weeks later I received a letter from their Senior Customer Resolution Manager advising me that I wasn't sold PPI and that a policy is untraceable. Is it worth doing a SAR (bearing in mind that, at present I'm unemployed and £10 is an awful lot of money) if they don't hold records? Do I simply give up?

It would not be worth a Sar to be honest, Santander will not have the data now, call into a branch of Santander if you can, they may be able to help you more.

You could ask for the paperwork that proves there was no PPI, they have said you had no PPI, ask them to prove this.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    yogaflame wrote: »
    how do people prove they were mis sold?
    Verifiable evidence isn't ever available for hearsay complaints (Unless you have your own recordings!). People who complain (for example)of having pre-existing medical conditions, or of being retired or unemployed can all easily prove these things. The "front loading" of PPI onto loans to attract extra interest is also provable (and is the most upheld complaint reason at FOS). Unfortunately, the latter applies to loans only.
    As Amersall advised, do take your complaint to FOS, but expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. ;)
  • taxi24
    taxi24 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2012 at 6:29PM
    Options
    thanks amersall, i dont have a partner,it was for myself,back in 2004.Im just trying to find out if this was misold, due to the fact i was in employment that covered 6months full pay,six months half pay,i had life and criticall illness policies,just cant remember how i took this out,either on the phone,postal or in a index shop,and reading some of the policy ,i was not covered by this insurance for example sec5,this cover is only available if you are not in work[hospitalisation cover].cant remember them asking enough questions for this insurance to cover me,as i had other benefits to pay this cc, if i was of work,such a long time ago,so was it down to me to cancel this within the 30 days back then.,dont even think i read all the policy[slap wrists]due to the information in letter and policy document.could this be a misell.Silly me amersall i only realised i had this insurance,when one of my work collegue asked me about it,also this seems the same type of insurance that i had with my catalogue,why would they sell the same thing for a cc and catalogue from the same company i paid this insurance from jan 2004 till 2009,then i went onto a dmp,it was listed on statement as payment proctection plan in jan 2004,the at somepoint it changed to optional payment protect,anything between £20.00 and £26.00
  • Spin9
    Spin9 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i went into the bank last week to ask for account details for a ppi reclaim. They printed off all loan, mortgage and cc accounts. I said i knew i had had ppi on early loans and mortgages as i was told i had to take it out to be approved. He said to put in a claim myself it was easy and nodded when i told him we were told we had to take it out, he said to just give all account numbers and they would see which ones had ppi, he also underlined the tmp think thats what it was called listed for our mortgages. Theses all date back to 1993 onwards. I phoned up and they did it on the phone and i got letters 3 letters in today one for all loans, one for cc and one for both mortgages. It says on the reason for complaint was told i had to take it out to be accepted. Should i contact them to expand on this? At the time of the loans we were shown examples for payments and period of time taken out. There was always two colums one w (with ppi) one w/o (without ppi) they always went on the with one and said this is what we would pay a month. We only ever paid the loan and ppi in one payment together each month it was sold as a package to us. Is this thecorrect way? Also my hubby had full sick pay for 6 months with his work then half pay for six months. I also remember asking why we couldnt get the without ppi loan as it was cheaper and was told that wasnt for us as we were young and approval would be denied.

Also for our mortage we were told we had to take it out to get the mortgage and never told you could shop around to find something to suit.
    Finding this all very confusing any advise would be welcome. Thank you.
  • PaisleyPrint
    Options
    My husband and I took out a secured loan with Blemain Finance but all initial correpondence was through Ocean finance.

All contact was over the phone with OF, had never heard of Blemain until the paperwork came through. On the form it states 'I/we wish to purchase payment protection insurance on credit provided by you and that the terms relating to the credit for the products can be found in the key financial information and other finanical information sections in this agreement' It has hand written on this 'both sign and date'.

We were under the impression we had to sign this in order to obtain the loan and didnt understand we would be paying interest on this.

At the time of the loan, Feb 2007, both my husband and I received full sick pay and had life insurance with critical illness cover - is this even relevant.

I dont want to go really use an agent to claim as looking at the fees involved it would not be worth our while.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Lyndsey
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    do the banks wait until the last possible date before sending you a yay or nay, or does it come sooner? What is your experience?
  • CMPM27_2
    Options
    Which "template" is this, exactly? A SAR takes 40 days and the Bank are allowed eight weeks to process a PPI complaint.

Is this for terms and conditions? You do realise that these are only useful if the account is still open and you have no knowledge of account numbers etc?

Hi Moneyineptitude - it was the T&C request template. I had four loans out with HSBC over a 4 year period, and while they could provide the account numbers and PPI policy number they were unable to tell me over the phone which went together and so I requested they send the details to me in the post. I was aware that not all lenders provide T&Cs when the account is closed.

The template stated 12 working days, and I wasn't sure if this was an industry standard or stab in the dark timescale! :)

Finally complained about the service anyway and got a letter back this week with all the account details and a copy of the FOS questionnaire to complete. Now to wait the 8 weeks for their response to that! :doh:
  • mel30
    mel30 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    hi myself and my husband got rejected by lloyds for a ppi claim on a credit card.
    They have taken into consideration
    1- internal sales notes,
    2- your consumer credit agreement,
    3-our knowledge of our sales process and documentation at the time,
    4-your sales documentation,
    5- your age and employment status at the onset of the policy.
    So my question is if they have all these documents then why dont they know what date our insurance policy started?? i have the original and it states it started 27th feb 2003. on the rejection letter it states we applied for the ppi 13th july 2003, 5 months after it started??.
    one of the other reasons was "i can vereify that the advisor had no alternative policies to consider or offer you" what does this mean ?? any advice or info greatly recieved.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback