PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    The level of commission is irrelevant if it was declared and agreed that the broker would do the work for free (else how do they earn a living?). In 2012 the sale would cover all the bases, you won't get a Plevin style case for that one

If a broker was used then you forget plevin. regular premium MPPI via brokers wouldnt exceed the tipping point. Even banks only just exceeds the tipping point and that is due to profitshare.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CFH5 wrote: »
    This is outrageous as I have been very patient throughout but 1. Can they do this? and 2. Do I have any recourse? Im reluctant to go to Ombudsman as I hear this will take even longer but surely this company cannot treat customers like this? Sorry if this was lenghty but I needed to get the picture across.

Answers above are correct. FOS unlikely to get you anywhere at the moment. Difficult to speculate on the cause of the delay.

If you go to the FOS they will just ask BH for case details and then likely give them 8 weeks to respond anyway. Perhaps best to keep the FOS in reserve in case BH reject your complaint - then you can go there armed with more information. They are not much use in speeding up a slow lender process. But if BH stop responding then by all means go to the FOS.

If it was a loan from a dealer or some sort you and before 2005 you probably won't be able to go to the FOS anyway.

I'd advise any further comms involving case information to be in writing and not on the 'phone - a) you need to understand that the banks are not primarily trying to help you and b) you need to have a record of these things.

Regards
    Stuart
  • hedgeman
    Options
    Hi, I had numerous credit and loan facilities from around 2004 to 2012. I am aware that some of them definitely had PPI and some others maybe did. Unfortunately (and stupidly) I destroyed a lot of paperwork over the last few years as all the paper statements were taking up a lot of room. Any idea of how I would be able to go back and find old account numbers etc? I can remember the lenders but not the account numbers. TIA.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hedgeman wrote: »
    Hi, I had numerous credit and loan facilities from around 2004 to 2012. I am aware that some of them definitely had PPI and some others maybe did. Unfortunately (and stupidly) I destroyed a lot of paperwork over the last few years as all the paper statements were taking up a lot of room. Any idea of how I would be able to go back and find old account numbers etc? I can remember the lenders but not the account numbers. TIA.

You dont need the account numbers. You just give them your name, address, DOB along with your complaint reasons.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Burnie24
    Options
    Hello.

I contacted Santander about a Burtons store card I took out in 2003 and was told it did in fact have PPI on it. I filled out the relevant paperwork and sent it back to them. They responded a week later stating they believed that I was aware of the PPI and had agreed to it therefore they weren’t going to go any further with this case. I sent the information to The Fair Trade Practice who were dealing with a number of other cases of PPI for me to take the matter further for me.
    They sent me emails and texts saying YES YOU WERE MISOLD PPI AND WE HAVE SOME EXCITING NEWS FOR YOU ABOUT THIS CASE. I contacted them and they then told me that the case was now closed as it was OUTSIDE OF SANTANDERS JURISDICTION!!!

So what do I do now?
    There was PPI on this card with Burtons
    Santander deal with store cards mis selling but now they can’t do anything???

Any advice would be most welcomed as it’s money I am owed.

Paul
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You do nothing. You can't use the FOS because it was sold pre-regualtion.
    You were not 'owed ' this money either. You took out the insurance. Due the vagaries of what was OK and what's now not OK, you are on the wrong side of what was now not OK, so your complaint is over.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 December 2018 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Burnie24 wrote: »
    I sent the information to The Fair Trade Practice . . .
    They sent me emails and texts saying YES YOU WERE MISOLD PPI AND WE HAVE SOME EXCITING NEWS FOR YOU ABOUT THIS CASE.
    Did they shout like that? . . Anyway, it's a claims company, you have to take anything they say with a large pinch of sodium chloride (NaCl)
  • CWILS
    Options
    Has anyone claimed for MPPI - Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance?

When we took out our mortgage we were advised to take out a self-cert mortgage for an amount we could afford to repay (which has never been an issue repaying and actually worked out well for us to get the house we wanted) but was well above what we should have been allowed to borrow. I recall that the financial adviser explained that in order to take that mortgage the provider would insist that we took MPPI - it therefore was sold to us as compulsory and not an option. In our naivety and young age we accepted this and I now realise that we have been paying this ever since (about 17 years). This was just a further lie by the financial advisor and we were mis-sold both the self-cert mortgage and the MPPI.

I've been searching though and can't find any threads on MPPI. Would it be treat the same as a PPI claim? Seems like I have good grounds but I wondered if it was classed as the same and had the same deadlines and rules as PPI?

CWILS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    People have claimed on it. Some have complained about it.

It wasn't often mis sold, but you can put in a complaint if you think you have reason.

If it was compulsory however, it would not have been mis sold.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 December 2018 at 7:23PM
    Options
    but was well above what we should have been allowed to borrow. I recall that the financial adviser explained that in order to take that mortgage the provider would insist that we took MPPI
    In that case it wasn't mis-sold, you could have declined their offer and gone elsewhere.
    This was just a further lie
    What lies are you referring to?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport