We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• Fridaydalek
    Options
    Hi @dunstonh

With all the success stories in Martin's newsletter :money:, I thought my experience might be helpful for those with high hopes, whose efforts could eventually lead to nowt.

But as, according to you post, I'm a potential liar and fraudster, I guess they're better off ignoring me.

Thanks for your constructive input :T
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 October 2017 at 8:30AM
    Options
    @Fridaydalek: I think some of the disappointment with unsuccessful PPI customers comes down to expectations, which are fueled by starting off using the wrong terminology, which in itself, tends to cause misunderstanding of the situation.

You yourself posted that you were making 'a claim'. The process is actually making 'a complaint' and for a complaint to be upheld, the customer has to have specific grounds for complaint and be able to substantiate it. It sounds like in your case, it was your word against the banks, meaning you were on shaky ground from the offset.

When I put in my complaint - I had a lot of detail - all of the paperwork, the date and time of the appointment, the business card of the lady we saw, my own hand written notes and I can remember the weather and what she was wearing. We were successful. At the same time, the same bank as you said that we had other PPI products, some going back to the mid-90s and did I also want to file complaints about those. I asked them to look at one, but I knew I had lost the paperwork in a flood, so felt that maybe it wasn't fair to proceed. They said they'd look at it and I felt that I had very shaky details on which to substantiate a complaint, so didn't expect anything to come of it. They rung me four or five times about that one and whilst I was always totally honest about how little I could support the complaint, they found in my favour and paid out - so the Halifax do also pay out where they seemingly do find grounds at their end.
  • Fridaydalek
    Options
    BooJewels wrote: »
    @Fridaydalek: I think some of the disappointment with unsuccessful PPI customers comes down to expectations..
    Thanks, Boo - exactly what I was hoping to address with my post!
    I provided the detail as background, so others in similar situation wouldn't get their hopes up with their complaint (using right terminology there :rotfl:)

:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm a potential liar and fraudster, I guess they're better off ignoring me.
    Nobody accused you of such.

The point is that your "complaint" was contradictory and so unlikely to be upheld from the off. Do you really not see that you could hardly have been "pressured" into taking PPI if you believed it was compulsory?

Basically, you provided a weak complaint and so , in the absence of any other evidence of wrong doing, you were rejected both by the bank and then the Ombudsman.

Many many others have provided equally weak complaints and been successful because the bank has found other faults with the sales as part of their investigations.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Many many others have provided equally weak complaints and been successful because the bank has found other faults with the sales as part of their investigations.
    As I suggested in my earlier post, I think this is what happened in my case. One account dated back to 1997 and my own argument was very weak and I repeatedly told them as much and they rang many times asking detailed questions that often I couldn't answer, but they did settle - but it took quite some time.

It was only a modest sum initially, but as it had been on a secured loan, that we'd daisy chained into new loans over about 15 years, I got a very complex compound interest payment as that original figure progressed through the various subsequent loans.

I have always assumed that they found something in the paperwork at the time (I know the chap that set it up at the bank was very nervous and inexperienced and had to keep asking for help) that wouldn't withstand scrutiny if I'd appealed the outcome. As it happens, I wouldn't have done, as my own argument was weak and I had no expectation of a positive outcome - the fact that I got one was very much a bonus.
  • tls1974
    tls1974 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

What would be considered a reasonable timeframe to expect a response to a 'Did I have PPI' query sent via the Resolver tool with full details?

Been waiting for Tesco Bank to respond for almost 4 weeks.

All advice appreciated!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Make your complain direct to Tesco.

Resolver tends to slow things down and not all complaints are accepted that way.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tls1974 wrote: »

What would be considered a reasonable timeframe to expect a response to a 'Did I have PPI' query sent via the Resolver tool with full details? !

You've used a third party complaint tool to make a general query.
  • tls1974
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You've used a third party complaint tool to make a general query.

PPI query is one of the templates on the Resolver tool. It's separate from the complaint.
  • tls1974
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Make your complain direct to Tesco.

Resolver tends to slow things down and not all complaints are accepted that way.

Thanks but I'm using the PPI query template not making a PPI complaint.

I have used Resolver to successfully win a PPI claim and found it was quick - less than three weeks from submitting the complaint to having a cheque in my hand.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure