We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miss Elderberry thank you! :D Sorry to trounce your record. :p

Yes, we have heated benches in the greenhouse and I am sowing seeds in the next week for events and teaching at the start of next year. Soon comes round :eek:
    There's probably no answer to the faux pas I made which wouldn't make it worse, so I'll just apologise for jumping to an unjustified [STRIKE]confusion,[/STRIKE] er, conclusion. :o

Of course, if your heated bench is subsidised, that's fine. So was mine, when I ran it as part of a business. It paid for itself many times over. :)
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    I borrowed a book called the One Hour Gardener or suchlike from the library today. It's the best I can hope for at the moment.

Speaking of hours, my 'Free Hour' lasted almost 3 hours today.:D This is the first hour after lighting the wood burner, which I try to fund for free by picking up stuff around the ranch. That way, I clear up junk, and I also get more motivated to produce those little cut-up sticks that I might otherwise bonfire after tree clearing.

Speaking of confusion, I must learn not to wear my reading specs all the time. Became seriously concerned when the cat failed to respond after spotting that I'd locked it in the dark conservatory. No wonder, I was trying to coax the watering can from under the table! :rotfl:

Mind you, it's even sadder that one of the cats actually looks like a watering can.....
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Speaking of hours, my 'Free Hour' lasted almost 3 hours today.:D This is the first hour after lighting the wood burner, which I try to fund for free by picking up stuff around the ranch. That way, I clear up junk, and I also get more motivated to produce those little cut-up sticks that I might otherwise bonfire after tree clearing.

That's a great idea, Dave. Permaculture?
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

So, mine is not the longest any more? :( Oh well, it's not all about size, but what you do with it...:D

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

all this talk about greenhouses etc... is making think about getting the greenhouse up and running up the ranch...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Alexelisey
    Options
    Does anyone have anything like this?

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/

After this year, OH is convinced one would be useful for helping us assess our microclimate. I know it's really going to be a pet gadget, but it looks like fun!

Me! Me! The Davis Vantage Pro 2 is on our wishlist for when we have some land, because at 600-odd quid it's not a pocket money gadget. At the moment I run a cheap weather station (Ebay about £50-70) as it's better than nothing, and it's been running for about a year and a half. It has indoor/outdoor temp. rainfall, wind speed/direction etc and is mounted on a pole two thirds of the way up the garden and about 10 feet up. It's immensely useful for knowing whether I'm going to have to defrost the chickens' water or scrape ice off the car before going to work, as well as just being for interest and slight geekiness purposes!

There is an amazing site, www.wunderground.com which have something called a WunderMap. That will show you any local private weather stations pretty much wherever in the world you want to look, and a lot of them have historical data too - very useful for me, trying to find the right place to move to!

Here is my link: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IKENTERI2 - although my rain gauge has packed up so no longer displays anything, stupid thing.

Feel free to ask any questions Rozee (or anyone else)!
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Thanks guys - I do also have a weather station with all the bits, but it isn't connected to anything so we can now contact someone and get them to advise us on what we would need to do to get it reading.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alexelisey wrote: »
    Me! Me! The Davis Vantage Pro 2 is on our wishlist for when we have some land, because at 600-odd quid it's not a pocket money gadget. At the moment I run a cheap weather station (Ebay about £50-70) as it's better than nothing, and it's been running for about a year and a half. It has indoor/outdoor temp. rainfall, wind speed/direction etc and is mounted on a pole two thirds of the way up the garden and about 10 feet up. It's immensely useful for knowing whether I'm going to have to defrost the chickens' water or scrape ice off the car before going to work, as well as just being for interest and slight geekiness purposes!

There is an amazing site, www.wunderground.com which have something called a WunderMap. That will show you any local private weather stations pretty much wherever in the world you want to look, and a lot of them have historical data too - very useful for me, trying to find the right place to move to!

Here is my link: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IKENTERI2 - although my rain gauge has packed up so no longer displays anything, stupid thing.

Feel free to ask any questions Rozee (or anyone else)!
    That's so cool! Think it would also be very educational for the kids. Maybe we could link it into our kids' school (I'm a governor so am always on the look out for things for the kids to do)....

Once we get the house costed, we'll know if there is any cash to spare (unlikely....)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's a great idea, Dave. Permaculture?
    I'm not sure what you mean here. :o Like many people with land, we have hedges which are permanent and in various states, partly due to a backlog of work left over from the last owner.

I'm tidying up the bottom boundary over 3 years, so that it can be cut with machinery, missing out the mature trees which give it character.

The top hedge is a different matter. That stays semi-natural as a home to lizards and dormice, and becomes a shelter for sheep against the coldest winds in the winter. We still have to cut it a bit though, because it's a roadside hedge.

So, both hedges are producing wood for us to some degree, as is the willow copse, though that's low quality. The only thing I have to decide is how much to cut and store and how much I just bonfire. Having a use for the thin bits - the free hour - means I'm more motivated to produce them. Against that is the time & energy needed to process them.

But I also receive a certain amount of junk wood from carpenters...:)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When it the best time of year to deal with an area heavy in nettles?

Just wrapping up to head out into the garden :eek:
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It was freeeeeeeeeezing :eek::eek::eek: Only got one and a half beds cleared however every little helps. I will need to get new waterproof trousers though as mine leak and I ended up soaking wet. Think I will get the fleecy lined ones this time.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Just come back from the range... its great that everything has died/dying back, so now we can what is what, just worked out we can put 2 new pig runs up, just need fencing, as it is only over growth..

We have loads of fencing left, so only need to get more telegraph poles, and some more posts....ooo ye and 2 gates...and 2 more cast iron troughs, and one more pig arc....there is allready some sort of shed in one part, just needs re-roofing etc, but will take a better look nearer the time...

Need some dry days to try and carry on trying to clear/dismantle the rest of the battery hen sheds
    Work to live= not live to work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport