We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    think it means the LABOUR starts in spring...start to swing tools ?? oooeeer....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: rephrase that... rotate in ones hand impliments associated with gardening....;):D
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    think it means the LABOUR starts in spring...start to swing tools ?? oooeeer....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: rephrase that... rotate in ones hand impliments associated with gardening....;):D

aahhh right so it means you can play with your tools in the spring:D

Some people are twonks on ebay:rotfl: how many times have you got to write in a listing that something is only for spares/donor etc...and you still get people asking silly bloody questions...

been watching christmas films all afternoon:cool: I suposed to be have a dam good blitz on the living room:D:rotfl:
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    ummm havent hear 'springer's swingers' before but i did think of another type of swinger:cool::cool::D:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

what does it mean?

Springer Spaniel. AKA Mutts Nutts. Dogs Bo...well, you get the gist.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :j:j Congratulations Sam :j:j

I have been thinking a lot (again) about our garden and how to make the most from it. Next year I want to add some more raised beds as we currently have three. We will be putting them on top of lawn, what is the best path material to use between the beds?

OH is not keen to add more beds so I am going to build them myself :eek: surely it can't be that hard? It will be worth it though. Once I have decided on the beds I am going to work out a planting plan for them so that I can start a rotational planting scheme properly instead of half heartedly. Some of the beds will have things in them long term like asparagus and strawberries and the others annual crops.

We do not have enough compost so I will need to look into ordering it in bulk (once the beds are finished)

One thing I am not good at is maximising the growing season and I am going to have to read up this to make sure that I have a more consistent crop over the summer at least. I tend to plant a whole load of seedlings (too early) and then nothing else so I have a lot of gaps.

Also going to net some of my beds this year so that the caterpillars do not eat my brassicas as they were delicious the year they worked and I was gutted when the cabbage whites ate them all in a matter of days :mad:.

Been looking at the potting shed too and I am going to clear it out and make it pretty so that I can escape down there in the summer ;) Where is the best place to get greenhouse glass? We are considering using PVC panes instead as we have lost a lot of glass in the stormy weather over the last few years and it is expensive to replace :(

Maybe I should get the beds built up during the winter so that I can get them prepped early in the year? So many things to do and so little time!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh lemon puffs. (that's me being cross.)

Stupid stupid boiler.

I am going out. When I come back it better have fixed itself or I shall consider dismantling it and driving it to the people who we bought it from and cutting it up in their front garden.
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Springer Spaniel. AKA Mutts Nutts. Dogs Bo...well, you get the gist.

Why Mutts Nutts and only Bees Knees?

Unfair on bees surely :D

Rummer, for paths dont do gravel, its a dirt and weed trap. I use chipped wood from tree felling for most of paths but it does have to be renewed every 2-3 years and cats like it :(. Flags are a permanent option but a big investment. For compost might be worth checking if your council provides it free from the food/green waste composting (our's does, as well as woodchip)

Lir, pls ignore the woodchip reference above, I get the feeling you're not in a good mood!
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    Rummer, for paths dont do gravel, its a dirt and weed trap. I use chipped wood from tree felling for most of paths but it does have to be renewed every 2-3 years and cats like it :(. Flags are a permanent option but a big investment. For compost might be worth checking if your council provides it free from the food/green waste composting (our's does, as well as woodchip)

We have oodles of cats in the area although they tend not to go in our garden so that might be the best/most affordable option. There is also a reclamation type place near us that sells old slabs/bricks etc so it might be worth checking there too and comparing price.

Unfortunately the council do not offer compost either for free or discounted which is frustrating. We are however near to another council so I will check with them as well.

On Monday I am putting our names down on the allotment list :eek:
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alexelisey wrote: »

According to the govt. website, 3% stamp duty is payable on £250,001 and above. Not at EXACTLY £250k

Yes, I was hinting that it is a very dodgy price point.

You want , say, £265k, so you put it on at a reasonable £275k to allow for those who want to knock you down a bit, but then they see the 'magic' £250k as being very close.....:(

"About 32m poly, greenhouse, 30 raised beds, orchard, hut with kitchen, 2 sheds, storage garage, lawn, pond, composting loo, reed bed - it's got the lot."

Welcome, Mr Elderberry and congratulations. :)

So, mine is not the longest any more? :( Oh well, it's not all about size, but what you do with it...:D I'm just installing electric, but purely for low demand activities, like running a 40watt sand bed.
    The days of having a long heated bench or an always above 0c section are truly dead & gone. Perhaps when I get around to making a greenhouse again.....:cool:

Teething troubles, lir. I really believe that. If it were gas or oil you could call an expert and get an opinion, but at present experts are thin on the ground. It has to work though, surely, or they will have failed to fulfil their side of the contract. At least your DW is in the right job if it comes to that...;)
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    Just looking back at Spring this year. April was the key pollination month for our apples and pears but:
    • sunshine was 80% of 30 year norm
    • temperature was 1.1C below 30 year norm
    • rainfall was 89% above 30 year norm
    So it was dull, cold and very, very wet!

No wonder my fruit yield was so badly hit, just the trees that flower in early May doing any good.

Then there was flaming June:
    • temperature 0.4C below norm
    • sunshine 69% of norm
    • rainfall 239% of norm :eek:
    And it didnt get much better :(

If anyone is interested the met office weather anomaly link is HERE
    Those are truly hair raising figures, Rhiw.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    We have oodles of cats in the area although they tend not to go in our garden so that might be the best/most affordable option. There is also a reclamation type place near us that sells old slabs/bricks etc so it might be worth checking there too and comparing price.

Unfortunately the council do not offer compost either for free or discounted which is frustrating. We are however near to another council so I will check with them as well.

On Monday I am putting our names down on the allotment list :eek:

Councils/ private enterprises might do you a bulk delivery at a rate better than you'd get by buying bags. Same goes for woodchip.

The plastic rozee bought (Phormisol or Mypex 100g/m2) will cover paths if cats are a problem. It needs to be well pegged-down and the edges folded under, but it is reasonably economical for narrow areas like paths. We use it extensively(and expensively!) but it lasts for ages. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure