We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    The mention of heating greenhouses and using chickens have got me mooching around, so if i put loads of links to total carp 'sorry':D:D

to start with i found this, i think its a solar panel heating some sort of under floor/tank etc of water or an i wrong:rotfl:

http://www.livescience.com/4092-real-green-house-heating-bill-25-years.html

I think this comes down in part to aspect that we discussed a while back. Give me a new build and south facing aspect and heating bills would be a thing of the past :j

Shame my only south facing wall is a gable end part shaded by our neighbour's house :(
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    hmmm, chooks have higher body temps than people but much better insulation. But even if they are emitting only 20W of heat each thats still 240W from 20 chooks. Possibly not enough to keep tunnel frost free though.

That's funny. I was doing almost the same calculation, as we've 19 chooks ATM, but I guessed at each hen being worth 25w. :)

Shouldn't yours come out at 400w?

Anyway, I don't think it's would make enough difference in our tunnel, without lots of other modifications, like sectioning-off a part and lining with bubble wrap......But then bang goes your essential ventilation for the chooks. :(

Despite it dropping below zero here recently, and pretty good ventilation in the hen house, our birds have been spreading themselves out on the new perches. Clearly, they are not feeling terribly cold yet.
  • rhiwfield
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

Shouldn't yours come out at 400w?

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Oooooooooooops!
  • Davesnave
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    I think this comes down in part to aspect that we discussed a while back. Give me a new build and south facing aspect and heating bills would be a thing of the past :j

Although we are now planning to go the wood pellet route, that doesn't mean that we will, because we do have the perfect orientation for solar. :D

Right now, it suits us to keep the garage and label it as a boiler house & bulk pellet storage place. As lir pointed out last week, there is no advantage in demolishing any of it.

It will take a bit of time to look at solar properly, but once we have the final roof plan.....;)
  • Davesnave
    Options

They sound good and they're sold by quite a few places, with & without the brush. :)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Rummer

The reason the Government backed down in the trucker's strike was because the supermarkets advised them that a number of cities had less than 2 days food supply left within their boundaries.

I understand that one city in the Midlands actually got down to less than a day's normal supply. Unless the truckers started trucking very quickly, shelves would be bare and they feared unrest.

:eek: That just terrifies me :eek:

I think I would have a lot more in the house if we had spare pennies and if my family did not make such a fuss about it. They already endlessly joke about my emergency cupboard food. What triggered the cupboard for me was memories of queuing for bread in the 80s when the snow was really bad. I just want to know that I could feed the family for a few weeks if things got tough.

RAS I am really sad that I can't order from there as the seeds were always inexpensive, great quality and I like using smaller companies. Been looking at some of the others recommended on here and I will be stocking up next year as I have enough to get me through this coming summer.

Dave and Choille please do not leave me behind in the seed planting this year :D I now start when you all tell me I can and I think last year I was too slow :o
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Although we are now planning to go the wood pellet route, that doesn't mean that we will, because we do have the perfect orientation for solar. :D

Right now, it suits us to keep the garage and label it as a boiler house & bulk pellet storage place. As lir pointed out last week, there is no advantage in demolishing any of it.

It will take a bit of time to look at solar properly, but once we have the final roof plan.....;)

Still no final chapter from me for the pellet story...

Not sure I would go this route again tbh, but that be because it tastes sour ATM.

Something else.....it's not a silent boiler, Wonder if you could site the boiler ion the garage too......it's not uncommon to put them outside, and then there would be no pellet shifting.

If you are over in this direction to see outlaws you are welcome to see the beast in person.
  • rhiwfield
    Options
    Mixed day, curate's egg but mostly good.

Income tax refund, gds over for tea, DS1 still here (leaves tomorrow :(), and had a fun time selling an 1895 estate map to a local inn. And apples storing/eating well despite blemishes

But got turned aside (nicely) by one museum for the wall charts and had lots of no sales tonight.

Ah well, nil desperandum ;)
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rozee, I don't think you noticed when I posted a picture of your field and half of the view a few days ago, using Tinypic. :D

I'm afraid trips to Pembs are out for me, so I had to steal the photo. :o
    Post 6044

In your photo, it looks like someone's been busy fencing. It's a great view, a bit like the one we nearly had, till the plans changed. :(
    That's hilarious and very confusing. i didn't even recognise it as our plot because that gate has fallen down and it's the top field, a vantage point that I rarely see because, well, it's the top field and I only do that when I'm giving a tour :rotfl:. Is it one that our neighbour posted to advertise their static caravan? Their static caravan has "our view" iyswim, or is it one that I took in the annals of time?
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The one that says "IMG code for Forums & Message Boards..."

Oh look, I beat you to it! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

jj5qv8.jpg
    Speaking of south facing, that is more or less the south facing aspect to the house that you can see in the distance there. There's a reasonable amount of roof and there will be even more if we can afford the extension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure