PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rice pudding

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I often end up with several different types of butter/marg in my fridge so wondered if I could reduce it to one to save money and space, yet still be able to do everything I need with it :confused:

I use low-fat spreadable butter (real stuff like lurpak or anchor, not the utterly butterly types) for sandwiches etc, stork margarine for baking and unsalted block butter for general cooking ... oh, and also a tin of ghee for Indian cooking, although I'm not sure how long that's supposed to keep and it's been in the fridge several months now :rolleyes:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i got a huge tub of 'east end' vegetarian margarine in the local indian grocers I used to nuy it as a student, and it's still ridiculously cheap:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • omega_2
    omega_2 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Queenie - just a thought - our butter consumption is pretty minimal (only for certain baking), so I keep what little we do use portioned in 2oz blocks in the freezer.

How well does rice pudding keep? I'm just trying to assess how economical it would be for me to make it for my 15 mo old when I'm not keen on it at all. Thanks.
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    This thread inspired me to make rice pud tonight, it was so yum. Thanks :)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was checking out one of Nigella's books earlier for a risotto recipe and came across the most wonderful recipe for rice pudding :D

It's a quick method, ideal for those "comfort food" moments when you want it in a hurry, and is basically a sweet risotto made in the same way as usual, but using milk instead of stock. I'd have made it myself tonight but I just used up the rest of my arborio rice today :rolleyes:

Ingredients: (for a single serving, but knowing Nigella this will be a huge portion!!!)

700ml full fat milk
    1 heaped tbsp unsalted butter
    2-3 tbsps caster or vanilla sugar
    60g risotto rice (she uses Vialone Nano but I reckon Arborio would be fine)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (not needed if using vanilla sugar)
    2-3 tbsps double cream

*Heat milk to boiling point (stove or microwave) and switch off.

*Melt butter and a tbsp of the sugar in a heavy-based pan.

*Add rice and stir till coated and sticky.

*Gradually add milk a ladle at a time, stirring constantly, until absorbed by rice before adding next ladle.

*Keep adding milk and stirring until rice is cooked through (roughly 20 mins) - you may not use all the milk, or might need a bit more so don't worry.

*Remove from heat - rice should be thick, sticky and creamy when cooked (like a savoury risotto) - and stir in the rest of the sugar and vanilla to taste.

*Add cream and serve (if you have no cream you can add a blob more butter like with savoury risottos)

I can't wait to try this out myself so if anyone makes it before Monday please let me know how it turned out :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• I bought a 4pt bottle of organic wholemilk yesterday for 15p. I had already bought a six pint milk with my shopping and had no room in the freezer so thought I would make a home made rice pudding. Added a few ground almonds and some vanilla essence and sugar and it tasted lovely BUT, despire adding loads and loads of milk it remained stubbornly Al-dente. I cooked it on the hob.

I love home made rice pudding - can anybody give me some tips for a better result?
    PS my teenager really loved the organic wholemilk made up as nesqik - 33% extra free at Asda.
  • badgermonkey
    badgermonkey Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, I always make mine on the hob and it's never not worked. How long did you cook it? I always find I go for ages thinking it's not done and then I turn my back and find it lovely and soft and on the verge of sticking to the bottom. :eek:

I can't see any reason why the milk being reduced would have made any difference.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually make my rice pud in the mirco. I bring 2 pints of milk to the boil then pour onto rice and sugar in a large uncovered bowl. Cook on high until just starting to boil again. Watch it carefully else you have milk everywhere. Give it a good stir and then cook for about an hour on defrost. Stiring a couple of times.
    The result is thick, creamy, white rice pudding ideal for cooling and serving semi-set with jam. If I want a golden skin or a bit more of a caramel colour to serve hot I either slightly undercook and pop in a hot oven for 20 mins or brown under a hot grill. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that MATH. Do you cover it once you're defrosting?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Mschappie
    Mschappie Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a 4pt bottle of organic wholemilk yesterday for 15p. I had already bought a six pint milk with my shopping and had no room in the freezer so thought I would make a home made rice pudding. Added a few ground almonds and some vanilla essence and sugar and it tasted lovely BUT, despire adding loads and loads of milk it remained stubbornly Al-dente. I cooked it on the hob.

I love home made rice pudding - can anybody give me some tips for a better result?
    PS my teenager really loved the organic wholemilk made up as nesqik - 33% extra free at Asda.

I always make rice pudding in the oven.
    I use 1pt milk, 1 1/2 oz pudding rice, 1 1/2 oz sugar.
    Stir everything together in a casserole dish. Sprinkle ground nutmeg or ground cinnamon on top. Bake in oven on a really low heat - I use 120 (gas 2) for about 1 1/2 hours. I test it to make sure that it's cooked properly and leave it in oven until it's cooked.

Hope that you enjoy!

Mschappie
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business