overwhelmed new member

Options

Comments

• mintymoneysaver
    Options
    Coco, how are you managing with the fact that it's going to be your first single Christmas? I was doing absolutely fine, until some totally random remark by my sister yesterday about little presents for her husband had me blubbing in Debenham's! Which was really bizarre, I have no idea where it came from as ex was a right Scrooge when it came to Christmas and it's been lovely not having him asking me how much things have cost when I've brought them home! I will miss the fact that he always bought me a book for Christmas though, and I always used to start it on Christmas night. Maybe I'll buy myself one and put it under the tree!
  • Coco114
    Coco114 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Minty :j
    Actually this is my 2nd single Christmas and it doesn't bother me :) ex was never good at presents anyway - used to bung me £40 to buy myself something , clean the turkey out and think he had organised the whole thing :rotfl: bless him !

Don't know what happened to me yesterday , nothing particular really , but feeling very chilled and positive about a new year .... Long may it last !
    One thing that is making me cross is how lazy my kids are ..... Completely bone idle in fact and it's my fault !!! Have always waited on them / cleaned up after them etc , which hasn't really done them any favours long term - so this needs addressing - a gradual thing I know but they need to learn to contribute more to the running of the house ...., will give this some thought .

Should hopefully get Christmas bonus on weds - and that will be all I do spend , nothing on CC or OD so that's a nice thought :) won't pay much off over Christmas but won't add to debt , I am happy with that :D

Jan will be super tight but it's the same for everyone !

That's it for now - cuppa time then shower etc ..... Never know who you may run into at the supermarket :)

Coco x
    The final chapter - £4893 to go out of £30K
  • Coco114
    Options
    Value things we like .....
    Midget gems :)
    Orange & apple juice cartons
    Tortilla chips
    Cling film
    Oats
    Some condiments
    Margarine
    Pro biotic yoghurt drinks
    Lemonade

Things we don't like
    Black bags (had to use 2 as so thin - completely false economy !)
    Any meat or sliced meat .... Yuk !!

Not to bad at all !!

The boys also think they don't like value biscuits .... Little do they know - I have been filling the biscuit barrel up with these for weeks :D
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    Coco114 wrote: »
    Value things we like .....
    Midget gems :)
    Orange & apple juice cartons
    Tortilla chips
    Cling film
    Oats
    Some condiments
    Margarine
    Pro biotic yoghurt drinks
    Lemonade

Things we don't like
    Black bags (had to use 2 as so thin - completely false economy !)
    Any meat or sliced meat .... Yuk !! I AGREE, PUMPED WITH TOO MUCH WATER YUK!
    Not to bad at all !!

The boys also think they don't like value biscuits .... Little do they know - I have been filling the biscuit barrel up with these for weeks :D

Same here with the biscuits!! the asda value ones esp bourbons don't taste any different and the aldi choc digestives are better than mcvities!

:j That you're feeling positive, i agree, long may it last :)
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Coco114 wrote: »
    they need to learn to contribute more to the running of the house

Each Saturday morning I used to sit down with my boys and devise a weekly menu, and from that a shopping list. Then we would list and divvi up the household chores like hoovering, putting on the wm, emptying wm and hanging washing on maiden, dusting, emptying wastepaper baskets, etc.

They liked being able to choose two dinner dishes per week, and it appealed to their sense of fairness to each put our names against a chore.

It worked for us, maybe it will work with your boys too?:think:
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • Aamberle
    Options
    Morning Coco - how was your weekend? Any news? Have you started your Christmas preps yet?

Hope you have a great Day x
    2012 The year I started dealing with my debts.
    2017. Lets start this again shall we?

Debt 1 Cleared 2/1/17 £480 Gone forever :j
    Debt 2 100/598
  • Taylor132
    Options
    Hey Coco

Just wanted to say I've just managed to catch up with your story (so far). Its extremely inspiring and you've really made me realise how stupid my current actions are.

I've got myself into roughly £15k of debt (partly house/partly to much fun) and I've been doing nothing about it and its really beginning to affect me. After a few days of reading your story, its given me the kick up the a** I needed to start sorting it out.

Can't wait to see how it all turns out for you and your boys in the new year.

Wishing you all the best :)
    £6686 CC as of 02/03/2017 :eek:

Goal to be Debt free by May 2017 and have savings of £10k by November 2017.....
  • Coco114
    Options
    Hi Taylor :j

Thank you for such a nice post ! It's good to have new friends :)

Not much to report today really - a NSD and a late one at work - nearly ten before I got home !!! Never mind , 8 more early get ups :T

One thing I pledge now - Dec & Jan are going to be very , very tight. So , I need to watch every , single penny - without fail ! Normally at this time of year I would be running around credit/debit card in hand buying .... Stuff - panicking because the shops shut for 2 whole days !!! Madness :)

This year my shopping will be very late but very organised and every penny will have to count ! Am buying for my boys and that's it :D

Off to catch up on some diaries , if I can manage to keep my eyes open. I need to be in for a meeting by 9.00 tomorrow !

Coco x
  • jade86123
    Options
    Hi Coco,

I've just subscribed to your thread having spent the last two days reading it - your story is so inspirational, thank you for sharing!
    I joined MSE a while ago and after a strong start we failed and the debt has mounted to even more now - reading your posts has made me realise we can tackle this mess that we are in and come out the other side - just need to stick at it long enough to start seeing the effects!
    Thanks again and best of luck on your DFW journey!

x
    Nothing is impossible...
  • Imdebtfree
    Options
    Morning Coco glad to hear things are still ok.

I love Christmas lights, sitting in the dark with them twinkling, as you say, you cant see the mess, and the things you wished you could change if you could.

I've got a couple of days off work. not quite up yet, should be but its soooo cold outside.... so another cuppa I think.

the idea of getting the boys to choose jobs is a good one - my ds does nothing unless I nag and then does it as badly as possible so that i have to do it again! Tho he does do his own washing and cook for himself. But as little ones all my kids had jobs round the house to earn pocket money from when their dad left us.

how many more early mornings til Christmas??

And January will have to be no spend for me! Overdone the credit card this month. But its so good to have some money at last and I've not spent more than I know I can pay off during the 0% period. Being good you see :rotfl:
    :hello: The grass is not greener, it just looks that way from a distance :hello:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback