Old thread: 2012 Forum redesign

Options

Comments

• moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I fear you'll deter new users from using the site.

Theres so much wasted space on each page, the "adverts" take up almost a third of my screen and the giant header bar above each post makes reading anything very very slow. Even with short three line posts I'm only getting three to a page (two if the signatures are long). Its making for tedious reading and jumping from green to bright white to green to bright white is really hard on the eyes after a short period of time.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • lucygoosy
    Options
    Oh my goodness how do i get fixed width? I view this forum as a smaller window and now i have to scroll from side to side to read it?
    Jan:£500 Cottage,TNA tix,Vodka party.Feb:Starwarstix,Tshirt,Hammerfest,
    GreedyGourmet,Bareminerals,Tea.Mar:Vancouver hols,Forkmag.21 Jump tix,HDaz launch,vits,South Pacific&hotel,Makeup,beads,Jar.Apr:3D TV,ipad,sky.May:Kew gig,bag,soap,baby stuff.Jun:Hyde Park gigJul:food fest.Aug:Fitness retreat, choc workshop.Sep:
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE_Ian wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for your help with testing. The forums are quite big so although we have looked there will likely be odd glitches we haven't seen. If you see anything that looks not right please post a link here and we'll get it sorted.

Ian

Many AVATARs don't "WORK" anymore

For instance .. check out this member's avatar ....

BLUEWKD (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=215838)

image.php?u=215838&dateline=1290807134

Under the new format it's all squashed - SHORT & FAT !

Doesn't look anything like a bottle any more :(
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lucygoosy wrote: »
    Oh my goodness how do i get fixed width? I view this forum as a smaller window and now i have to scroll from side to side to read it?

read the 1st post?
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    its hideous and there was no need to change it. wont be using mse forums anymore if stuck with new only. aint broke dont fix it - esp as it costs time and money to do so...:mad: also it will NOT change back wahtever you do
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    thor wrote: »
    I can't see the reason for having 2 inches of empty space either side of the page. It just makes everything looked squashed in. Like the Radio Times tv listing pages this mse redesign is rather unnecessary.
    torbrex wrote: »
    The more I use it the less I like the member info bar across the top of the post, it catches my eye too much and makes skimming through a thread seem awkward somehow. :(

Having tried it for most of the evening I have already had enough and its giving me eye strain and am having to manoeuvre more on the page to read the same amount of posts. On the old version you could see several posts in the screen, now you see one or one and a bit in the screen - so much wasted space in the posts, much prefer the user info at the sides not on top and white spaces at the side just seem such a waste of space.
    marleyboy wrote: »
    The only irritant I have found with the new design is the heading banner, which (when clicking new posts for example) should my cursor accidentally touch the top banner, a virtual whole page pops up and blocks out main site\forum\logout banner icons.

Once the cursor is removed it re-disappears and you are then free to click on the icons on the logout banner, but it is an irritating unnecessary pop up that serves no purpose whatsoever as you can already click these icons and need no extended banner pop up to do so.

This is really annoying the last version did it and now this ones seems even worse. Why are the forum links so close to the banners at the top? Surely it would be better placed between the pink "please test banner" and the green banner that has the Main Site, forum, user cp on it ... to stop this happening. I use a laptop and just use the touchpad and this is always happening when I want to change to a different part of the forum, it never happened with the original format. Why is are the forum links so high on the page? Please lower them down to make the page more user friendly.
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • Painkiller
    Painkiller Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The new version is too narrow - I imagine it would have been the bees knees in 1997 when people used 13" CRT monitors with a 4:3 aspect ratio but in 2012 on a 24" 1080p monitor it looks ridiculous.

Having to rotate my monitor 90 degrees to improve how the site fits the screen is not ideal;

imag0136s.jpg
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Looks like this thread has descended into another "Its too narrow, there is too much white space on my screen" rant.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    Looks like this thread has descended into another "Its too narrow, there is too much white space on my screen" rant.

not a rant,its simply how it is

Capture-15.jpg

I have as much white as I have forum page
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't like it at all!

I also find in trying to scroll down using the arrows it takes up far more space to do so - and keeps jumping to the top which is really doublely annoying. I like the forum how it is - why keep changing it? I like being able to see to the side who answered my posts - I look for the regulars etc and to see who is currently online - and miss out all my own posts.

Stop messing with the forum which is the biggest attractor to the site anyway

Get Martin a new shirt as it looks rubbish as he was told repeatedly on facebook before the new masthead went live too!
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport