PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

salty gammon or ham ?????

Comments

• Simmer a potato in there and it should absorb some of the salt. Remember to remove before serving ;)

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread to give you more suggestions.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Thanks. Cooked up the ham - no extra seasoning - with veg, wine and green lentils. Worked out nicely. Think I'll end up binning the beans - a cheap ingredient and seem to have absorbed a load of salt :(
  • AlTeREgO
    AlTeREgO Posts: 114 Forumite
    Help needed please :)
    I decided to buy a large smoked gammon joint, i was planning on using it to make cobs for tonight and stretch it out over quite a few meals after.

Problem is its far to salty to be enjoyed :(

what can i do with it now, how can i rescue it??
    SPC ~ 6 ~ MEMBER 1873
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    did you steep it in a pot of cold water overnight? i usually do as this takes out most of the salt i also change the water a few times while it steeps i know its not helpful to you as you have already cooked the meat but for the next time you go to cook it steep it first,sorry dont know how to get salty taste out.xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You might have to use it as an ingrediant in other things to dilute the salt.

So in pasta spbake or pasta sauces, in risotto, in pies, in savoury muffins etc etc. if that's the route I would slice and freeze quickly,making a pie or somethingwith a healthily amount of it for tonight.

Obviously, do not add salt in any other way to the dishes you make!
  • I don't know what cobs are, sorry but could you try boiling a few slices with a potato? Not for long maybe 6/7 mins. The potato is supposed to soak up a lot of salt. If that works chuck the whole lot in!
  • Cait
    Cait Posts: 126 Forumite
    Hi, same thing happened to me, despite soaking etc so yesterday, having half the gammon piece left I reboiled it in hot water for 30 minutes with a teaspoon of sugar in the water, after 30 minutes I took it out, let it cool and then sliced it, and it was fine, much less salty. Might be worth a try, otherwise do as Lostinrates says and use as ingredient in other dishes.
    Cait, at long last signing on:rotfl:
  • Thanks for your replies :):)

i've only ever cooked a gammon joint twice and forgot about soaking it this time.

Im going to try boiling some up with a potato like suggested, i'll let you know if it works :)

If not i'll have to freeze it and use it in soups ect.

Cobs are.....Baps, rolls :D
    SPC ~ 6 ~ MEMBER 1873
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Google bacon and potato recipes for inspiration like soup, patties etc.

Also if you freeze some you can use slices to add to chicken breasts, plus you can add to bolognese sauce or just tomatoes to make a pasta sauce.

If you want to eat it in rolls try it with a slice of mozzarella cheese to see if that helps reduce the salty taste!
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • The potato to soak up the salt works, I'd put it into cold water with a cooked potato and see what happens
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure