LoveFilm feedback discussion

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 March 2013 at 11:04PM
    Options
    I have been with them a few months, mainly for he DVD rental side, used Instant to watch Spooks but they don't offer Seasons 8 and 9, or is it 9 and 10, can't remember now, so I had to rent the DVD for those.

No subtitles is a problem though, I ain't 100% deaf but subtitles do help, I see Netflix offers this so why can't Instamt I don't know. Why I ain't joined Netflix? Try searching for Batman (Nolan's), Avengers Assemble, Thor - no result, so DVD it is.

Lovefilm may not have wide selection of Instant but DVD, lets just say I have 253 titles added to my list! This does not include films out last year to date as I have been working my way through the 80's, 90's etc - films not seen.

I have 2 discs at a time, post on Monday morning, new ones arrive Wednesday, post Thursday morning, new ones Saturday - fast service. In total I have had problems with 4 discs, no problem they send it out straight away rather than wait until the faulty one is returned.

I'm going off a bit here, but also considering renting Xbox 360 games on there, just 2 titles as they are not worth buying but playable - they are short.
  • mrchuckles
    Options
    I have been with LoveFilm for probably around 5 years. They USED to be great. Since they have been brought out by amazon the service has gone down hill massively.

Customer service is now appalling - example: I emailed them to ask when I could reserve a film (something you used to be able to do when the film was in the cinema so you would get it when it came to DVD, apparently you can't do this any more), they replied with a completely different stock answer. So I emailed again asking my question again - they once again replied with a completely different stock answer. I replied once more, getting slightly more annoyed and finally my simple question was answered.

You rarely get your high priority titles any more. If its new, you could be waiting 3 or 4 rentals before you finally get the one you are after. This was never the case in the past. They have either taken on too many new customers or they don't have enough of the latest titles, either way it is not acceptable.

New titles take ages to appear on LoveFilm. Typically you have to wait 2-4 months (or longer) for the film to come out to purchase before you can rent it.

Ultimately, they are investing so much time with Lovefilm Instant that they are forgetting their core market - the rental by post market. Everything on their site is focused on Lovefilm Instant - rental by post seems to be a secondary concern.

There is a gap in the market now that was never their before. Lovefilm have left the rental by post market to rot and it is crying out for a competitor to fill that void. If a decent one appeared I would be over there in a shot.
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    pullenuk wrote: »
    They do not offer subtitles for the deaf. Netflix does. Therefore l Simply request MSE doesn't Support them. In this day and age no subtitles is not acceptable. Even When renting discs they don't give a way of showing if it got Subtitles or not!

To confirm - there is still no subtitles on their streaming service. If you want subtitles have a good moan and keep doing it until you get a few months free of charge. Its not acceptable in this day and age.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    After many years with Lovefilm, I have decided to cancel it in an attempt to play catch-up with my DVD pile.

Sadly it looks like I will have to phone them in order to cancel, why can't companies take cancellation requests online, instead of having a "why do you want to leave us" crap.

At least it's a freephone number and not a pesky 0844
  • pullenuk
    pullenuk Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    After many years with Lovefilm, I have decided to cancel it in an attempt to play catch-up with my DVD pile.

Sadly it looks like I will have to phone them in order to cancel, why can't companies take cancellation requests online, instead of having a "why do you want to leave us" crap.

At least it's a freephone number and not a pesky 0844

They do. I cancelled before online and without getting someone to call them. Just say that your phone is barred from making calls.
  • Kite2010
    Options
    Finally cancelled :)

I wonder how long it will be until I get some "come back to us" letters
  • digitaltoast
    digitaltoast Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This issue is doing my head in - hours wasted so far. I'm using Lovefilm Instant which also uses Silverlight.

The quick first question is this: I've read lots of threads where people say "right click" or "press CTRL+SHIFT+S" to access stream manager to change the settings. IT DOESN'T WORK!

I've tried it with hardware acceleration on and off, I've tried it full screen and windowed, I've tried it at native resolution as well as 600x800. Every single time, the jerkyness happens at almost exactly the same points in a pan, but it's not a regular stutter like 24fps pulldown. It might be fine for 1.5 seconds then judder for 10 frames, it might stutter for a frame twice in one second.

My PC, laptop and girlfriend's Macbook can ALL play other full HD content smoothly and without issue, the PC doesn't even struggle with Youtube 4k videos, and I don't have this trouble with any other non-Silverlight provider. Flash, mp4 etc - it all plays perfectly smoothly.

Seems pointless emailing Lovefilm because the many others that have say all the things they've tried, including clearing cookies and cache and updating and trying different browsers. Then after 4 weeks they just get a standard answer like "please clear your cookies" or some other nonsense.

There's one particularly good thread here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1307504/netflix-streaming-jitter which talks about Netflix, but the symptoms are identical.

It seems that people have some success using "stream manager" in Silverlight 5.0 and below, but since 5.1 I can't find anyone whose managed to access the advanced menu - just hundreds of people asking the same question as me.

I'm going to put some keywords here to help others find thing thread as everyone seems to have a different term for it - jerky jerkiness jitter jittery judder juddering strobing stutter stuttering panning.
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now that they've stopped doing games, I called to cancel, because I can just switch to Blockbuster for the same price and get games as well.

Straight through to a foreign call centre droid who's trained not to let me cancel.

On went the arguments "but I can see that you don't rent games much anyway", yes but that's not the point. I was just starting to get into the idea actually. Eventually he outright ignored me and put me down to a 2 disc tarrif without me asking!!

Not impressed. I think I'm going to have to do this the hard way (letter, request to credit card company to block their transactions etc)
    NOT RECOMMENDED
  • Kite2010
    Options
    They will try and downgrade you to a lower package
    Then will try and put your account on a 3 month "holiday"

Even if you do cancel, you will be hounded with phone-calls and letters trying to get you to come back.

Latest "offer" is 6 months half-price, money refunded at the end of the 6 months if you stay a member
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With my current mood towards them, I think even with half price deals I'd rather do something to myself that involves my fist than continue dealing with them (and it's not punching)

Persistent customer retentions really grind my gears. Why don't they understand that people come and go, and if you let them go without a huge fuss they'll be more inclined not to hate you and therefore possibly re-join in the future...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure