Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Options

Comments

• grayson
    grayson Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in 3 bedroom townhouse and have had survey. Quoted £180 that
    includes 50% discount. I have signed and agreed, i have been told it will be 6 weeks before its done. Is this good or shall I cancel and try and get it cheaper. Keepwarm quoted me
  • happylife
    Options
    I think it's a bit of a con...When does the 50% savings come into effect for people not on benefits..

I called EnergySaving trust about 1 Month ago who said for someone not receiving benefits would cost around £150-£200 depending on house etc.

After todays announcement I called again and they said there is no change to price as far as they know it..

So when does 50% off cost of insulation for all households apply... Or has it always applied or is it just another lets look like we are doing something when we are not..

As the cost was £150-£200 1 month ago... I expect it to be £75-£100...

But somehow I don't think this will happen...

£150-£200 is still cheap but why do they announce something that is already in place from months back...
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think there has always been a discounted offer but the discount varies depending upon who provides the subsidy.... I have a list from my local council and the prices quoted range from £144 to over £300, it seems that the energy companies provide some subsidies and other bodies (?government ?local council) provide others. A year or so ago I enquired about cavity wall insulation at £x.xx but was told that the subsidy amount had reduced and would cost more...the helpful lady on the phone advised me that if I call in a couple of months times the subsidies may have increased again as they were due to get more funding, I did call back a couple of months later and the price had dropped
    So I think that the message really is that there seems to be an extension of the current subsidies available and that this will continue for the forseeable future. I guess they announce these things in a way to give maximum impact and publicity and make them look good, its not much news if he stood up and said business as usual, the benefit of this site is that it makes us a little more savy and less likly to fall for it

Besides this though I would reccomend getting the cavity walls done as it has made a big difference in the 1jim household, we are waiting for a survey for loft insulation which looks like will be £150 and will then get this done, (current insulation a poor 1-2cm only) so should save quite a bit with this. Have you called your council/looked at their website for a list of suppliers in your area as there can be a big price difference in what they offer
  • happylife
    Options
    hi 1jim

I have the survey for Cavity wall on Wednesday and want it doing asap.

I'm hoping he quotes around the £150 mark.. I definitely know a company who do charge £150 but they are not on the council list..

I watched them do a house in the street and they seemed to go a good job and used Knauf Supafil which I think is a decent insulation material...

so I may use these instead,,

http://www.greenerlivingsolutions.co.uk/

the stuff they use is..

http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/products/crown_supafil.aspx
  • elektra-2007
    Options
    how do u know if you have cavity wall insulation? im in a old council house...will i be able to still have it done...tho its now owend by a housing association now...has anyone got any phone numbers? and do you get it free if your on benefits?
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco are now offering grants for people that aren't on benefits - should cost £150 each for cavity wall and loft insulation.
  • imendit
    Options
    If you are not getting a major grant, price the job for DIY. B&Q are currently offering half price loft insulation, and this weekend 7-10 Nov they have another 15% off if you spend over £50.

I was quoted £150 for delivery only (same price for supply & fit) for 200mm of top-up loft insulation from Miller Pattison, but I bought 23 rolls of 200mm Knauf Space Blanket (4m x 37cm) yesterday at B&Q for £117. This works out at approx £5.09 per roll. Installation is simple, and as the fibre is enclosed, it is much nicer to work with, and will simply slide into place. Looks good too.

In response to those who use their loft for storage, I am in the same situation, so I have fixed boards 200mm above the joists using 40mm x 15mm supports attached to the roof supports. The insulation fills the space underneath. The hardest part is shifting all the items already there, and installing the 'shelves'. Without this, the loft could have been fully insulated in a couple of hours at most. Probably far less.
  • msl
    msl Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Tesco are now offering grants for people that aren't on benefits - should cost £150 each for cavity wall and loft insulation.
    Details on the Tesco home insulation here: http://www.tescoinsulation.com. Looks like the price is £198 each for cavity wall and loft insulation for people not qualifying for free insulation.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't receive any benefits check with your local council for grants.

Mine is offering a flat price of £75 for full loft insulation.

They're also offering cavity wall insulation, but I don't know the cost.
  • wenz_2
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    I have had a flyer through the door for Home Insulation by an outfit called KHI Ltd of Nottingham. They are obviously cashing in on the Government's funding for this, but may of course be quite genuine.

It appears I qualify as it's not means tested (I wouldn't qualify otherwise) and the cost to me would be about 50% of the full cost. This is stated to be £299 for cavity wall and loft insulation on a 2/3 bedroom detached bungalow.

I don't normally trust flyers but I just thought I'd ask. Anyone any comments, especially about KHI, the suggested figure of cost to me, any experiences of the job itself, and so on.

Thanks in advance schiff ;)

Hi, I work for KHi and I can confirm that they are a genuine outfit, been going for 20+ years. Prices do vary depending on what scheme you get but from feedback we get from customers its worth having done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure