PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    OK hangs head in shame over by £4.97, so xmas fund reduced to £8.44. Overall salary over expenditure exceeded £16.53 despite hoooooooge boiler bill and loads of diesel driving down to ill FIL then FIL's funeral (obvs not money we begrudge at all). So feeling good, but not as good as I hope to feel next month when the xmas fund will be growing. Or could combine holiday and xmas fund since they are effectively just surplus income over expenditure. Mr Micawber certainly knew what he was saying when he said "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." See you on the March board (where budget is set at £620, but may then go to £600 per month)
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    Or could combine holiday and xmas fund since they are effectively just surplus income over expenditure.

omg just reread my post. I have surplus income over expenditure. You have no idea how good that is after last year. OK you do, that's why we're all on this board. :j:j:j Thank you to all you wonderful wonderful people.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    All updated in sig - I'm sure we forgot some cat litter but DH has been asked several times for any receipts so I'm recording a green month. Well done to all.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Ess-six wrote: »

I'll have to do a Feb update in my signature later. My darling dad died suddenly on Sunday and helping mum and supporting the family are all that's important right now so the receipts will be added up later and I'll catch up on how you're all doing if I get the chance.

So so sorry to hear of your loss. How very sad. Thinking of you all.
    xxxxx
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
    Debt: £11850
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    omg just reread my post. I have surplus income over expenditure. You have no idea how good that is after last year. OK you do, that's why we're all on this board. :j:j:j Thank you to all you wonderful wonderful people.

DD you need to take credit as well for being determined to do this and change your life.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear about your dad ess-six.

I had another NSD but I am still over budget by £9.51 :o. Must do better next month. I still have my money card for Mr T as compensation and will buy my water with it (when it finally comes on offer).

Speaking of which, Mr T sent me through some money off vouchers £7 off £50 per spend but I am not tempted after my last run in with them.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My sincerest condolences to you Ess-six at this awful time.

Please do take care of yourself,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well hello all,

I've been MIA for most of the week but have read as much as I could though am sure I've missed quite a few.

I've finally totalled up the little spends OH has made through the week and so declaring at £213.41 for February. It is under budget but I'm disappointed in the number of NSD this month, from a lovely high of 23 in Jan we're down to only 13 in Feb which is not good.

Right I haven't looked at all at the March thread yet so I'm off there to have a peek and sign up.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • coldcazzie
    coldcazzie Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well I've got a few more days left yet. Went shopping yesterday to Asda which I don't get to very often so bought lots of things which I can only get there (didn't even get everything I wanted - forgot some!), plus he's been to buy a four pack today and some sausages, plus a couple of dribs and drabs through the month that I hadn't added up yet means that my current total is £398.78/£420 with another butcher's trip and small sm shop due on Monday. I already know I'll be over because I have to buy 2 week's worth of cat meat as well as ours, plus the sm bits so I imagine I'll come in at around £440 by the 9th.

To make myself feel better about it, I'm choosing to blame the fact that I got a Sainsbury's shop at the beginning of the month rather than a Tesco one. For the same price as I usually spend I've ended up with less food and the quality has not been noticably different. For this reason, I'll be going back to Tesco.
    Rule 7: If you're not changing it, you're choosing it.
    MFW 2020: 1 Jan £92903.90 ~ OP £536.80/£500
    MFW 2021: 1 Jan £89281.21 ~ OP £404.62/£500
    MFW 2022: 1 Jan £85579.20 ~ OPs on hold.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    my most sincere condolences to you Ess-six. Thinknig of you and your family at this sad and difficult time
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure