PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another £2 spent today at m & 5 on a ready meal as I forgot that my work's kitchen was being ripped out. So I could only access a micro and I had planned to make rice.

It is my mum's birthday tomorrow so I am treating us to a nice lunch out using my hi-life card (so 241).

Edit I have just looked at my sig and think I made a slight error on updating last night. I definitely have not spent £1241 this month.....
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,836
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Another NSD for me. For dinner I made a quiche and we had roast potatoes/cauli/spinach and carrot.
    6912668073_afd7c603c2.jpg

I used 10 ozs of plain flour for the pastry so I have enough left for another quiche. Mr F got a bag of lamb bones from the butcher the other day - I roasted them while the oven was on - our dog has had two of the three bones so far - they cost 50p for the bag. The fat from roasting the lamb bones was used to make today's pastry. I have frozen four slices of quiche for two more meals. I put 1 sliced tomato/1 chopped up bacon rasher/2 chopped spring onions/2 eggs/ some grated cheddar and half a pot of single cream in the quiche plus pepper/dried mixed herbs/garlic powder and dry mustard. It was yummy and cost about £1 for three day's dinners. More tasty and filling than a bought quiche plus no additives/preservatives or artificial flavourings.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1549/406
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £13.65/£100 NSD - 61
    2024 Craft Makes - 113 Craft Spends 2024 £212.98/£500
  • Just need to report that I spent exactly a river yest, junk, some clems and a mango, saw in my Mr s they have 2 big packs of stewing steak for £2 so I'm going to buy a pack for freezer tomorrow, I did go to sainsburys today as i was visiting my friend her husband fixed my laptop saving me a fortune, so I bought the kids some jelly TOT cupcakes and my friend a ttdchocolate cake, so about £41 in total saved in total the cakes won't be coming out my.gc budget so £7 left in my budget ,going to buy stewing steak and get whiopsies
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,552
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ambassador
    Oh my, I'm in a state of absolute awe!! That is one impressive spreadsheet. I am a complete computer no nowt but have now instructed my hubby that he needs to construct me something similar (if only!!). He did me a spreadsheet for my grocery spends a month ago and it has really ticked my box - I love it and fill it in religiously, I do a weekly meal plan and keep a shopping list but these are both paper based so far. Need to investigate this further as I love lists!!!! Thank you soooo much for sharing this - I can see what I am going to be poring over for the next few hours..........

Aww, thanks, I'm flattered! To be fair, why don't you just use mine as a basic construct and just edit what you need? I've already made the "Items" tab a List, so if you change or add anything it will appear in the drop-downs in the monthly sheets. the main thing is the store and the price... seems a shame not to utilise the work I've already done - just edit till it suits you!!! :D
    sistercas wrote: »
    well i am super impressed with elsiepacs spreadsheet , if its easy i would love to learn how to do it , i may ask my DDs, they are whizzes on the computer

?Hehe thanks sistercas :p once again, why not use mine as the basis and just edit what you will use? I do work in IT (although more telecoms than pc's!) but I taught myself how to make that s/sheet in about 7 minutes with internet resources. The main time-consumer was looking up prices!

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

LC x
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • tjak
    tjak Posts: 149 Forumite
    Declaring a NSD day today, and hopefully tomorrow too as DH is away for work until late Thursday so I can eat strange leftovers and please myself.
    Mr A order arrives Thursday, which should set me up for the month ahead. Determined to keep on track this month.
    Debt free and saving :j
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    It took me a while when I 1st started and until I got the hang of it.

I update the spreadsheet as soon (literally once anything chilled is put away:o) as I can so I can remember the offers (many things are reduced on the shelf so the savings don't show on the receipts IYKWIM)
    However, I don't (DON'T READ THIS BIT IF YOU'RE EASILY SHOCKED) check comparison sites before shopping :eek::eek: BUT only as there's not any choice of SM where I live.

Mr A is an 18 mile round trip in one direction, Mr T 18 miles in another, Li*dl 40 miles (yup, 3rd direction) with Home Bar*gains & Mr S a whoppnig 56 miles :eek: (others even further:() - so it's really a case of getting what I can at the "local" ones depending on which town I'm in and doing a "stock up trip" to the further away ones now & then.

I do this .... receipts are logged on the spreadsheet ASAP and then put into an envelope on my kitchen notice board - I mark these with the month so I can easily find one if needed.

I did warn you I'd become a bit obsessive:o with keeping track of what I spend - but if it stops me getting back into debt again, I guess it's worth it.

*runs away before anyone actually reads this and things I'm bonkers*

I don't use mysupermarket either because I don't have A*, W* nearby and I know everything I buy at T* is cheaper than S*. I do print off my list at T* website and check aldi lidl etc and I sometimes get a couple of things cheaper there. There is a M* nearby also but I find it a hassle because I don't know my way round very well:o
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...just made the batter for pancakes as i read its better if it sits for a bit...hope thats ok if it sits until tonight....done a bit of peeling i found some sliced roast beef in the reduced in the coop yesterday...i thought id go it in gravy with roast pots for dinner so thats easy

aldi has carrots for 39p so i got an extra pack to make a carrot cake so will need to do that on the next couple of days
    have a great pancake day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Morning all, well I am up to £186.69 and with a veg box coming tomorrow that I forgot to cancel yesterday I will be up too £199.69 was thinking of going to my local Market on Wednesday to buy bits and bobs I will be going over my budget :-(
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • Hello everyone

Just an update on last week's spends:

Tesco £45.15 (included big pots of jnt supplements on 3-for-2 and some salmon fillets for the freezer)
    Aldi £18.80
    Mr S £12.88

so weekly spend of £76.83 and month to date spend of £232.24, which leaves me the princely sum of £17.76 to last till 29th. All main meals already sorted, so probably just milk, bread, fruit and veg so should be do-able.

HelenJelly please can I be a number on the first page to keep me accountable (and budget for March is £250)

PP
    xx
  • This is what I cooked last night.

I chopped up a couple of onions and fried them off in the wok, a large pan will do as well. Then I put in a couple of teaspoons of garlic powder and a chopped up pepper. Then I stirred in a tblsp of medium chilli and a 1/2 tsp of crushed chillis with a tin of chopped plum tomatoes and a 1/2 pint of chicken stock with the chicken that I had stripped off the carcass. Bought it to the boil and then reduced the heat. Peeled, sliced and cored an apple and bunged it in and then chucked in a couple of handfuls of dried fruit, seasoned with salt and pepper and simmered for about 10 mins.

I served it with rice in bowls.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business