Forum Home» Student Money Saving

Spend your Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Spend your Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses

edited 22 October 2010 at 11:51AM in Student Money Saving
54 replies 32.2K views

Replies

• You do not have to pay for the course in full using Tesco clubcard vouchers. So even if you only collected £10 worth of points in a year you could still get £40 off your course.

I agree, it is not worth spending more just to get the points but if you already shop there then it is worth it even for only a few pounds saving.

I totally agree :T
  • NO-BRAINNO-BRAIN Forumite
    116 posts
    You do not have to pay for the course in full using Tesco clubcard vouchers. So even if you only collected £10 worth of points in a year you could still get £40 off your course.

I agree, it is not worth spending more just to get the points but if you already shop there then it is worth it even for only a few pounds saving.

I read it though that you can only take part in deal on registration, so for example if you wanted to do a BSc in Health and social care and wanted to pay for it module by module (£600 roughly a time) then you can only use clubcard points for first module. i.e I cant pay for the first module and then start saving for the second module whilst i am studying the first part as i wouldnt be a new registration then??

Anyone clarify this please? As I do shop at Tesco, fill up company car with Tesco petrol and would appreciate a cheap course, thanks
  • lineyliney Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My family want to give me their club card vouchers, but as they have a different surname OU say i cant convert and use them as money off. I dont suppose you can buy Gift vouchers with club card points can you?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    NO-BRAIN wrote: »
    I read it though that you can only take part in deal on registration, so for example if you wanted to do a BSc in Health and social care and wanted to pay for it module by module (£600 roughly a time) then you can only use clubcard points for first module. i.e I cant pay for the first module and then start saving for the second module whilst i am studying the first part as i wouldnt be a new registration then??

Anyone clarify this please? As I do shop at Tesco, fill up company car with Tesco petrol and would appreciate a cheap course, thanks
    I think they mean registration for each module not for the whole course.

The way OU works is that you register for each module separately (when you can do it) and then you apply your module scores to your chosen course. I do not think you have to choose this course when you start (as modules can be applied to different courses) and you can certainly change your mind at a later point in time.
  • King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    liney wrote: »
    My family want to give me their club card vouchers, but as they have a different surname OU say i cant convert and use them as money off. I dont suppose you can buy Gift vouchers with club card points can you?
    I do not believe so! :(
  • At the moment if you register and pay for a course (or defer payment using a OUSBA account) if you decide not to do the course then provided you tell the OU before the start date you do not have to pay for that course.

However if you pay (or even part pay) in Tesco vouchers and then decide you don't want to do the course then you have lost those vouchers - they can not be refunded. The only option open to you would be to transfer to a new course.....not much use if you have decided not to do the course because of lack of time, committments etc.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • I spoke to the OU recently about postgrad courses being paid with tesco vouchers. (I was banking on it, pardon the pun!)

Apparently the OU only gets half the value of the vouchers from Tesco, and as it's to encourage new recruits (and they reckon pgrad students don't fall into this category) they don't mind 'losing out' as they will get their money back in the long run. (And they get some government funding for every undergraduate too).

So as I tentatively apply for next years postgrad, I'm still not sure how I'm going to pay for it! (I'm too late for the Crowther Fund.)
  • Also, beware that if you claim your degree you can't then use the vouchers for undergraduate courses afterwards.

It's pretty strict really.
  • sundriessundries Forumite
    75 posts
    if you already have undergrad degree from another uni, can you use them on undergraduate or postgraduate conversion courses with ou?
  • KateyNixonKateyNixon Forumite
    20 posts
    At the moment if you register and pay for a course (or defer payment using a OUSBA account) if you decide not to do the course then provided you tell the OU before the start date you do not have to pay for that course.

However if you pay (or even part pay) in Tesco vouchers and then decide you don't want to do the course then you have lost those vouchers - they can not be refunded. The only option open to you would be to transfer to a new course.....not much use if you have decided not to do the course because of lack of time, committments etc.

I'd check this because I don't think you can even transfer your course - My understading is that if you've paid with Tesco Vouchers and you change your mind you've lost them. You have to be really sure of which course you want to do.

P.S I just paid for a course worth £380 with £370 worth of vouchers collected over six months - I've managed this by getting a Clubcard Plus card which gives double points and also shopping on-line where there are extra points vouchers to be had - have claimed over 2000 extra points with these in the last two months so that's £80 towards my next course for absolutely nothing. I have a part time job and couldn't afford to do my course this year if it wasn't for the Tesco vouchers - the Tesco voucher scheme is absolutely stunning, but what else would you expect from the open university?
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2