Forum Home» Student Money Saving

Spend your Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Spend your Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses

edited 22 October 2010 at 11:51AM in Student Money Saving
54 replies 32.1K views

Replies

• RufusFrog, you seem to have inside knowledge. Would you happen to know why the deal vouchers are not accepted on post-graduate courses?

Sorry, I work in the Library at the OU so I only know what's on our Intranet. I can't find any explanation as to why they are not valid on postgrad courses.
  • Sexy_EmSexy_Em Forumite
    524 posts
    wow, excellent thanks for this! theres a course I have my eye on. jus need to start spending more at tescos now. lol
  • rufusfrog wrote:
    Sorry, I work in the Library at the OU so I only know what's on our Intranet. I can't find any explanation as to why they are not valid on postgrad courses.

Hi RufusFrog, I also work at the OU and was on the team that implemented this. The reason not to include PG courses was an economic one. The scheme is mainly to attract new students in areas perhaps we don't normally reach. New students generally start with UG courses.

The OU is new to this, we have to start off small and see how it goes.
  • King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    sk8er_girl wrote:
    Hi RufusFrog, I also work at the OU and was on the team that implemented this. The reason not to include PG courses was an economic one. The scheme is mainly to attract new students in areas perhaps we don't normally reach. New students generally start with UG courses.

The OU is new to this, we have to start off small and see how it goes.
    That is what I figured. It is more likely to attract the type of student to do a undergraduate course with this kind of deal who would otherwise not consider it. Postgraduate students are more likely to pay full price, anyway, because they want the qualification.

It is still a bit rough on postgraduate students, though!
  • I'm also another OU insider, and I thought that this course in particular would interest moneysavers:

DB123 You and your money: personal finance in context.

Details available from the OU website!

Edit: This course would normally cost £295 so £73.75 in clubcard vouchers.
  • rufusfrog wrote:
    I've got an idea although it will only apply to future purchases: give your parents one of your keyfob cards and their points will accrue to your account. (Checks Tesco website...
    ...they say you are only allowed to give a keyfob to someone in your own household. Clearly this is not anything anyone should try.)

We are going to do that, but sadly that means i cant use the £80+ in vouchers (£320 in ou vouchers) we currently have!
  • hi,

sorry I am new to Tesco Clubcard points - can anyone estimate how many clubcard points would be needed to do :

to do one course

to do a full undergraduate degree (360 open university points to graduate!)

many thanks in advance!
    irn :D
    Lightbulb Moment: January 2007 :dance:

Bank of Scotland Loan: 6665 :wall:
    Credit Union Loan: 4506 :think:
    Virgin Credit Card: 979
    Cahoot Credit Card: 927
    [STRIKE]Debenhams Store Card:170.19[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Usc Store Card:110[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]River Island Store Card:130[/STRIKE]

Debt at
    Lightbulb Moment: £14,083
    Total Debt Now: £13,077 :eek:

Extremely Proud to be dealing with my debt!:T
  • lineyliney Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was told by OU that the vouchers would be issued with surname only and as long as it was the same as mine i could use them. Unfortunately it was my mother who wanted to give me the vouchers and now im married ive a different surname.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • SeraphimSeraphim Forumite
    246 posts
    irnbru1970 wrote:
    hi,

sorry I am new to Tesco Clubcard points - can anyone estimate how many clubcard points would be needed to do :

to do one course

to do a full undergraduate degree (360 open university points to graduate!)

many thanks in advance!
    irn :D

I think there are way too many permutations to predict! Were you thinking of a particular subject area?

Things like law cost a LOT more than something like psychology. For example, the level 2 60-point course 'understanding law' is currently £1850 to take. However, the level 2 60-point course 'exploring psychology' is currently £565.

If you gave an indication of subject area, it would be easier to predict the approximate cost...
  • LorianLorian Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    IT's slightly OT but don't forget if you are in employment, and the course is at all releated to your job, talk to your employer. They might help.

If you have a PDP/PDR/Yearly review, mention you might be considering studying. I did this (many years ago now) and as an incentive my employer agree to pay my first year fees from the company training budget.

I mentioned it at the next annual review too, and you know what they effectively sponsored me, and they continued to pay for the whole course for 6 years. I did have a great line manager.

They got some good press out of it, and I got a degree.