PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh yes I remember the knitted school skirts and matching cardies too! did yours stretch as they were washed so what started off as knee length became almost ankle length until you grew tall enough for them to find your knees again?
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Yes! I am putting that down to my mam's obsession with the spinning tub though - everything had the lugs spun off them!

We had one of those little circular upstanding drum things.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Spin dryer, Fuddle? My Mum had one until the day she died, and had had this particular one for many years.

Candlelightx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh happy days!!!! Off to feed that pigaletto again, he's stopped fighting now when I wrap him in the towel, lays on his back all wrapped up in the crook of my left arm like a tiny infant and wibbles expectantly for his syringe of green goo! He's a good pig and has eaten some 'bean sweeties' (chopped fine green beans), some mixed salad leaves and half an oatcake too and I might just have seen him try some hay!!! Go that Olaf!!! Night pet, natter again tomorrow, sleep well, Lyn xxx.
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Fuddle, welcome to the thread :) I dip in and out when time allows, everyone is always very welcoming.

Sat here with a cuppa, been up since 6.30, blooming work making my mind go! It's our busiest time of year coming up to year end at end of March.

FTM, how is Simon getting on?

Just about to have some crumpets (reduced to 10p :D ) for breakfast. Got some great bargains at Tesco yesterday - rocket for the ducks (16p), loaf of bread for emergency toast from freezer (10p) and grapes (30p x 2). Do love a good whoopsie :D

Got the noisiest pheasant in our garden, the cats all looked in turns interested and terrified when he flew in.

Candlelight, hopefully pusscat will have a lovely new home wherever he goes.
  • fuddle
    Options
    Hi katep23 thank you for the welcome. I have trouble sleeping due to work issues too. It's very annoying because I am on top of all I need to be. I fancy a crumpet now, slathered with butter. The girls have honey on theirs but never fancy that.

It was an upright thing that spun the clothes candlelight. I don't know if it dried them them but it might have done as it had a square bit out of the front where the water dripped out of (I think! sketchy kiddie memory at play)

I hope Olaf has a good day today Lyn he sounds like he's improving and being really very spoiled ;) It keeps popping into my mind whether or not to allow the girls to have a piggy. We miss having a family pet so much. Hearing about your caring for Olaf when his chips are down makes me feel very aaaaaaaw.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Yes Fuddle definitely sounds like spin dryer. Mum used to put a bowl under the spout thing to catch the water.

After Dad died she wouldn't put the automatic on every day to wash, she would just hand wash a few things and then put them in the spinner before pegging out, it actually took a lot of water out of the clothing

Candlelightx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning, he's my grandfurbaby FUDDLE I couldn't do less for him than any of the others. He's looking chirpy this morning and was very good with the syringe feeding and had lots of water too, hopefully he's feeling better and will start to eat on his own again in the not too distant future. He's a good Pig! They are usually very hardy little tykes, both the others Roger and Humphrey lived to be 7 which is quite old for a piggy and really didn't have health issues until they were 6 1/2ish and I guess being old has no cure. The only other thing you have to tackle is toenail clipping which they hate to start with but do get used to. Roger was an outside pig and Humpy was an indoor pig in a pod cage. Humpy was more of a character I think because he was in constant contact with humans. They really like being cuddled and stroked and you can train them to do all sorts of things, look up Guinea Pig Agility online, you'll be amused and amazed!!! Cages come up regularly on freecycle or at boot fairs for very little money too. It is a commitment in terms of having to be there to feed them every dy and cleaning the cage regularly but food is pretty affordable, we use Gerty Guinea Pig brand and you can forage for greens, they won't eat anything that disagrees with them anyway. Olaf likes dandelions, groundsel, sow thistle, shepherds purse, grass,hay,the green bits from strawberries, carrot tops, any salad leaves, not to hot on cabbage but loves spring greens and broccoli and will happily munch apple and carrot so he'll be your mobile compost bin for all the bits you don't use like peelings and outside leaves. The down side is that you do grow to love them and they do get old and die eventually but to me that is part of what children have to learn and although it is upsetting and they will be sad, it's something to be tackled and they learn from it and are very good at acceptance.
  • fuddle
    Options
    They mourned for Alfie and I think that was harder to accept in many respects. We looked after the school's hamster just before Christmas and I saw a glimpse of what they were missing out on. We have spoken about a rabbit but it would be outdoors and I think the girls need a pet inside really. We're still not over the hole that Alf has left in our lives and I think a piggy, given they love cuddles, knee time and interaction, would be a good way forward without upsetting our landlord.

My only issue is space and the most I could offer would be just over 9 square foot under the spiral staircase. It's an empty space but would be perfect for a piggy and in the living room without being in the living room if you get my meaning. I could get more out of the space if we looked at making our own enclosure. Hmm.

The thought of supplementing the diet by foraging and using discarded kitchen greens appeals to my OS side like you wouldn't believe.

Further discussions with DH needed really but I am very keen on the idea. I'll speak with the girls at work to see if they could take in the piggy if we go away, I know my neighbour would help out with popping in when we're away to feed although I doubt she would clean out and I do know a very lovely lady the other end of the New Forest :D Actually if it came to it there is PetP4ls near by and I am sure they can do house visits for small pets. Heck, when we camp little piggy can come too! :rotfl: I think I'm joking :o:cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nell keeps Olaf in his pod at the window end of her dining area as he gets some sunshine to bask in there. He comes out for a hug every day and in the summer she has an outdoor pen and when she can sit with him he goes out on the lawn for a munch of the grass. They are fine in a small space, Laffys cage is 18" by 2 1/2' and he has a log roll in there for his 'safe' place and to sleep in. He';s perfectly happy and he doesn't like being out in the bigger space and running free on the floor. He gets scared and scuttles back to her for safety and sits by her side, they're so easy to look after, they don't ask a lot but oh boy do they like to eat!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure