PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• hoglet121
    Options
    Good morning everyone :-)

Oh thank you Candlelight - yes I do seem to be rather busy at the moment. Looks like it will continue for the next few years....! At nleast I have DH, the cats and the garden to keep me sane. We are positively swimming in tomatoes! I need to get preserving some. I took some time to really prepare the soil before I planted them and I've really never seen such prolific plants :-)

FTM - I do love the garden planning stgae each year - in fact I really must give some thought to my winter planting. Hope some good results come from those heated discussions!

Anyway, errr back to work for me !

love Hoglet x
  • flowertotmum
    Options
    Evening all..hope your all ok and totally enjoyed the lovely weather today..it was glorious here..
    We went shopping and got our shop for under £40..bingo..we also bought some more onion sets for the allotment and some seed potatoes for the tubs in the garden..i went and made an eye test appointment too..think i need to go..i bought the girls some new undies today..nice ones from Morrisons not a bad price either and they look and feel like good quality too..that came out of my second purse to pay for extras so my food budget isn't touched.
    I popped in a CS and wow i couldn't believe my luck..Vintage ladybird books..50p each..so i got 4..the girls were as excited as me when i showed them..
    I have sold 2 more items on ebay so if they all sell i will make about £40..which i will leave in my paypal to buy anything i need or see a bargain.
    The hallway is coming along nicely too..its all glossed and sanded down,ready to go..
    I hope your all ok..
    love to you all
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    FTM after you saying Simon had to go to Derby to see the Rheumatologist I wondered if our boys were born in the same hospital as mine was born in Derby City Hospital. We used to live there.
  • hoglet121
    Options
    ooooh im excited I just had to share this - just been offered a whole lamb for $120 (60 pounds)! Through my rural family :-) That will fill the freezer so well. Apparently it will come jointed so not too much butchery to be done. happy dance here!
  • What an excellent way to start the chinese Year of the Sheep!!! Baaaaaaaahhhhhhh Baaaaaaa!!!!!
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Good evening all,

A very grey and wet day here today. Not a lot done, popped to local shops for a newspaper and a couple of bits and had an A*da order delivered this afternoon, that was the highlight of our day. Will be so pleased when spring is here.

Hoglet, that is a good buy, should last you quite a while I would think. Are all the cats OK? Flora is good and Pilchard's eye seems much better now. He has been resting in his little house, but yesterday and today he seems to be going further afield, so hopefully he is feeling better.

FTM you seem to be doing well. I have never sold anything on ebay, bought yes, but not sold. Work seems to be going on a pace on your hall stairs and landing, it should look good in time for spring. I hope Simon's arm is not too painful, so many people seem to be affected by arthritis, it used to be an age thing, but I don't think that always applies now.

Our car is in the garage at the moment so it has curtailed our visits to DD, but one good thing she has driven for the first time. She said she was a bit apprehensive after a year of not driving but I think it has given her the nudge she needed. Her knee was really sore afterwards but she was pleased she had managed it.

Well I think that is it, nothing really exciting happening at Candlelight Towers at the moment.

Take care everyone

Much love

Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    Options
    Morning everyone :-)

MLW - I hadn't thought of that, how apprproriate!

Candlelight - thank you, the cats are well. Izzy decided he wanted to dig under the bathroom mats at 4am this morning, so he must be in fine fettle. Socks has had a touch of an eye infection recently - I wiped her eyes with a kiddies eye wipe that DH had for a recent irritation. It cleared her infection up very quickly - I wonder if you were able to get hold of Pilchard very briefly if he would let you try something similar?

Not a huge amount going on here other than work. I'm planning on going plum picking at a pick your own place tomorrow and DH is taking my cousin's son to a rugby community event tomorrow.

keep well everyone

Hoglet xx
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 February 2015 at 2:43PM
    Options
    FTM - I had a massive collection of ladybird books as a child which sadly were destroyed by my sister when passed on to her. I was thrilled last year when a friend, who knew the sorry tale, presented me with a very well kept copy of "the musicians of Bremen" which she had found at a car boot sale. I have no children to read to but now and again I read it myself. Brings back many happy memories.

Not much to report here, it's crazy busy at work and although I'm working from home today I'm only now realising I haven't eaten since before 7 and I'm a bit peckish. Won't do me any harm though, plenty blubber stored which should keep me going:D

The deer problem has gotten seriously out of hand, we now have 5 and they have caused some damage to hubby's pick up truck so we have had to call in some expert help. Not good however we must get it under control. They have also stripped the fruit bushes completely so we will have no soft fruit this year at all.

My spring bulbs are coming up, very slowly though. The hundreds of dwarf narcissi seem to have disappeared which is sad, they were among my favourites.

My veggie planting is kind of one hold until I know that we have got rid of the problem. Hubby thinks we may have to abandon anything which would grow above ground so we may be restricted to root vegetables. I'm planning to order some greenhouse staging soon so I can make the most of every inch in the. At least it's a safe place:)

I've been watching the Great British Sewing Bee which has made me think of getting back to some simple sewing. Mum has some old linen tablecovers which I could dye and make napkins from. That would get me back into the swing of it. I did notice my old treadle machine needs a new belt. I'm not sure where to find a belt for an 1891 singer, I'm sure an internet search will yield all the answers.

My plan for the weekend is to make rum and raisin ice cream with my much under used ice cream attachment. Will report back on how it turns out.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 February 2015 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Morning everyone :-)

SM - I do hope you come up with a deer-proof solution. Not fun having all your hardwork eaten :-(

What a weekend we had! I went fruit picking with my couisn and a friend and their kids and we're used to PYO being a semi-commerical affair. Well this place was just advertised on FB, so we texted the guy and arrived at the farm. It was an absoute treasure trove - 6000 trees of all different species and varieties, overseen by an extremely enthusiastic gentleman who ran around his orchard barefoot. We were shown to a couple of fields where we could pick and we filled out bags with apples, plums and quince. When we went to pay he insited that our rucksacks full of fruit only counted as '1 bag' and would only take $5 per bag. We managed to persuade him to take an extra $5 overall but even that was hard going. Just as we were leaving his worker asked if the kids would like to help him feed the horses - the girls loved being piled up on the back of the tractor as he drove through the orchard and paddocks as we followed behind. We had a throughly wonderful day for the princely sum of $10 each (5 pounds) including the fruit.

Sunday was fruit processing day in our house - vast quanties of quince paste (a bit solid), plum prune and apple chutney and plum jam. Yesterday I made a quick tomato and onion chutney to use up some of my more woolly tomatoes. Add that to the 12 jars of onion marmalade I made a few weeks ago and our stocks are looking well replenished.

Working our way through the freezer to make room for the whole lamb that arrives on Saturday. All kinds of random things have been used up - we did enjoy the last of the Christmas mince pies!

DH's rugby referee meetings started again yesterday so I had a quiet evening pottering about getting the housework done which I'd neglected at the weekend.

Better get onto some work. I hope you're all well

love Hoglet xx
  • flowertotmum
    Options
    Hi all..hope your all ok and not being blown about by the wind..

Hoglet..o wow how good was that fruit price..and i bet your house smelt gorgeous with the jam and chutney making going on..we had a half a lamb last year..its so tasty..and worth the money..your hubby's rugby refereeing is going well..hope all the cats are ok..enjoy your weather babe.

Candlelight..hi how you doing..is Pilchard ok and flora?..glad your girl is driving around now bless her..i have sold another item on ebay and posted it this morning..all the money is sat in my paypal waiting..the hallway has stopped work at the minute..Simon had to go back to the doctors..his pills messed him up..he couldn't sleep and was getting anxious about little things..they have changed them and we seem to be getting back to normal..

Nursemaggie..Simon was referred to Derby by our doctor here as its one of the best in the country..Sam was born here in Grantham..hope your ok

MLW..hey how you doing..hows the family and docky..is your new floor down yet..

SM..o i love the old books..i got another today.Rumplestitskin..its old but we love it..my sister did the same with my Beatrix Potter books..i find them now and again .. i have decided to kind of collect them if i can..and my Enid Blyton ones too..sorry the deer have destroyed your garden..how are you going to stop them..how did the icecream turn out?

Well i am having to have some glasses..had my eyes tested and need some for reading and long distance ..i have been busy baking and making soup to fill the freezer..the girls are ok and wanting some nice weather to get out and about..they want to go to the allotment and help Sam..
    I have been clearing out toys and clothes too..never realized how much we have..shameful really..

I have got about 7 items listed on ebay..hopefully they will sell..every penny helps..
    right i have to go..the dog is crying for wee..bless him
    love to you all
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts