We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    Broad beans are ok this time of year - it's French and runners that need to be left another good month as it will just be too cold for them.

Yes, you can prepare a bean trench now for planting into later on.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 2nd lot of cucumber seeds I planted germinated and grew happily to about an inch and a half.

They were still in the propagator (laziness) and I was going to plant them on this weekend. The lid was left off the propagator all night (I usually leave it off during the day and cover at night as it's so cold in the porch) and they've cowped. :( (Scottish word meaning tipped over/collapsed.) Looks like the cold got them.

Bum.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • lilyjune
    lilyjune Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Happy St Patricks Day everyone! :j:j
    (Was hoping for a few green smileys but none available :-( )
    Anyway, big plans for today - little bit of gardening outside to get something resembling a garden back :o, then it's swimming with the toddler, F1 qualifiers and Rugby for the afternoon

C'MON IRELAND!!!!
    :D
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    Thanks John, I'm a little too early then with my beans aren't I! :D I shall take your advice and give them another go. I'm in Warwick so not sure which direction that is from you but not too far so I will go with your timings. I was going to dig a bean trench this weekend, do you think I should still do this?
    You are only just over an hour from me so anytime after the middle of April. After putting the plants out, on the inside of the canes, I usually pull some 3' wide bubblewrap around my canes and hold it on with clothes pegs which will guard against any late frosts and keep them just a bit warmer.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gosh, I go offline for a few days and I've got 4 pages to catch up on!
    Hello and welcome to the newbies:wave:

It's so nice to see other folks gardens, I only wish mine was as big and as tidy.

Mine looks worse than normal because of next door's missing fence. When it blew down it crushed several shrubs so they have been hard pruned but all the prunings are stacked up and the council green waste recycling doesn't start till 24th March so can't really do much till that lots gone.
    But I will get more spuds out in bags/tubs or whatever I can find to put them in. Already got them in the ground and dont want to plant anything by the missing fence as s*ds law says they will replace it and trample all over my vrg just at a critical time!

Was pleased it didn't take down the peach tree, not that we get more than 6 from it but hubby grew it from a stone so it has sentimental value.

Am I the only one here who doesn't like any sport?
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »

Am I the only one here who doesn't like any sport?

No - I can't stand any sport. What's the point? You can't eat it.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    No - I can't stand any sport. What's the point? You can't eat it.

The point is, you get some of your mates round. They bring beer. You cook a great big rhubarb pie. You watch sport, drink beer, eat pie and have a jolly pleasant afternoon. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    The point is, you get some of your mates round. They bring beer. You cook a great big rhubarb pie. You watch sport, drink beer, eat pie and have a jolly pleasant afternoon. ;)

Ha Ha Ha! Don't think your afternoon is going to be very "jolly".:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Ha Ha Ha! Don't think your afternoon is going to be very "jolly".:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Why ever not? I've got some mates coming round, they will bring beer :beer:, I'm making a great big rhubarb pie :drool:, the French will win, England will win & Mark Cavendish will win the Milan-San Remo. :j

What could possibly go wrong? :rotfl:

Wales have clearly been the best team in the tournament. But it ain't over yet. I wouldn't be counting any [STRIKE]chickens[/STRIKE] cockerels just yet. :p

I've even invited a Welshman to come and share my pie. And if Wales win, I'll shake his hand and tell him that his lot played well. We are rugby fans, after all. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    quite right about being rugby fans. There have been some cracking matches in this tournament.

I don't think I'm going to get much done tomorrow either - F1 season starts!

In gardening news, I have nagged my fruit-tree-fairy to bring them round asap so I can work out how much space I'll have to grow other stuff. I'm contemplating repotting the chilli plant, and have got some muck to repot the strawberries. We've talked our nice neighbour into letting us chop back the tree that overhangs our wall, and I've had a rummage through my seeds to see what I've got left.

I've sorted out the little patch at the front (which doesn't have anything edible in it), and hubby has pressure-washed our steps.

I'll get there slowly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport