We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    gah. Ok. I'll see what I can do. Bullies.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    gah. Ok. I'll see what I can do. Bullies.

Well, some people need a kick up the bum occasionally. I should know. :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Well I've reshuffled my seed packets again :D and that's about it,it's been one of those weeks where I seem to have been really busy and acheived absolutely nothing!
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Yay a new thread :j And this time I'm starting early enough to maybe actually grow something full size :rotfl:
    This year me and my sister have taken on the veg patch in our grandparents garden. It's not that big but is in such a mess as it hasn't been touched in years (except for bonfires, so we spent half a day picking nails and sofa springs out of the soil!). We've cleared the larger side of waist high weeds, but there is still the smaller side to clear, fence to repair and the green house has more holes than roof!

This weekend we will: clear the smaller side, put contents of the compost bin in a trench for beans, cover the freshly weeded side with a bit of horse poop and broken fence panels, bin bag weeds to compost. We're growing things that have always grown well there in the past like beans, beets, onions; some resistant varieties of cauli and carrots; pumpkins; attempting to grow corn to support the beans. If we fix the greenhouse there will be plum tomatoes and cucumbers too.
    In the house I've just microwaved some old potting soil to plant totem toms, little elf chilis and basil to grow indoors. I've overwintered two banana pepper plants. My sister's on the look out for potted marigolds to ward off white fly inside.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    adelight wrote: »
    little elf chilis

Wassat then eh?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Wassat then eh?
    http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=little+elf&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1 though the place i bought the seeds reckon they go purple too
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Very nice!

It doesn't look like I'll get chance to sow any this weekend - too much to do. I've started pressure-washing the drive and I'm only about a third through it, so I need to finish that tomorrow. I haven't had chance to sieve any compost yet - I've got some wire mesh about the right size so need to improvise a frame for it.

My mates are making Sunday dinner for me tomorrow and I said I'd provide the cake, so that's another thing I need to do.

On the plus side, I have uprooted some of the weeds from the patio, found a tub full of parsnips that I thought was empty :j, and had a small fire on which I burnt some old paperwork and the weeds.

I am now tired and hungry. :)
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    At the mo I'm just peering around the corner to see what's going on.....
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    No gardening for me this weekend because of the weather, but I've done some research about what would be good to grow in a north-west facing plot in damp Yorkshire, which is prone to slugs. The answer is not a lot.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    No gardening for me this weekend because of the weather, but I've done some research about what would be good to grow in a north-west facing plot in damp Yorkshire, which is prone to slugs. The answer is not a lot.

Slugs can be controlled. I find a swift introduction to the end of a house brick is most efficacious. ;)

We'll find something productive for you, don't worry. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure