Options

Comments

• newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 December 2016 at 11:13PM
    Options
    Any more updates on this?

I feel comdirect is the standard but I had an application form sent in German. Not convinced you can ID over video as previously stated, at least not from the UK. Had anyone tried?

I am actually giving the KBC Ireland basic account application a go. I suspect that, even if I do get an account, it could eventually be closed as the T&Cs are clear that will happen if you cease to legally be an EU resident - We are brexiting. So a warning if you haven't read the account terms.

KBC Ireland not to be confused with KBC Belgium of course which appears to be the parent company. KBC Belgium also offering a 'free' account. Not actually free as you would have to pay for basically every ATM withdrawal and paper-based transfer (whatever that is) and other things. And you would need to actually go to Brussels to open it which is not exactly ideal!
  • newfoundglory
    Options
    As for the 12 euro cent tax on ATM withdrawals.... Can someone clarify?
    I seem to have read this only applied to those made in Ireland and it was unclear over debit card pos purchases.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2016 at 9:34AM
    Options
    (1) In the UK, Punjab National Bank Euro account. But no debit card and no cheque book for Euro accounts so you're stuck with transfers.

(2) An entitlement to a basic bank account in any EU country for all EU citizens due to the Payment Accounts Directive. Do it quickly while we are still in the EU.
    Access to bank accounts: these provisions provide all EU consumers, even those that are not resident of the country where the bank is located and irrespective of their financial situation, with a right to open a bank account that allows them to perform essential operations, such as receiving their salary, pensions and allowances or payment of utility bills etc.
    http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/financial_services/bank_accounts/index_en.htm

Where the Payment Accounts Directive falls down though is that it's a requirement of national governments and not a requirement of individual banks. For example UK banks typically demand that account applicants are UK residents. Similarly I could not open a German bank account for love nor money but I just walked into a bank branch in France with my passport and UK address docs and got one over the counter. I had a French temp address but they didn't even ask for it. A feature of French banks though is that the bank staff refuse to speak in English even though they can actually speak it. So learn some French and related sign language :)
  • eshroom
    eshroom Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    "The provisions on basic bank accounts ensure all consumers can access basic banking services throughout the EU, regardless of their nationality or place of residence."

Nice idea. But I would like to know if any UK citizen succeeds in walking into the nearest bank branch in a eurozone country (apart from RoI) and opening a basic account without having residence in that country.

UK citizen and resident but have French bank account and French mortgage (Banque Postale) on apartment in France. Bank used my UK salary and employment to determine mortgage eligibility.

This was done in branch and French was required.
  • JPWorm
    Options
    As an ex teacher I did loads of them for my friends and their children. Most of my ex colleagues were happy to do this for the price of a drink!! TIP Ask a teacher during the holidays when they are likely to be less stressed!!
  • JPWorm
    JPWorm Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 January 2017 at 4:55PM
    Options
    I have a currency account with HL and need a nominated bank to receive the currency which is a good exchange rate. It all seems gear up for the super rich and requires a holding of thousands. We go abroad a lot and may buy a property in the future. Any idea for an account we can use which is not for the uber rich? I hope this is the right forum and in the right place as I am a newbie!!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JPWorm wrote: »
    I have a currency account with HL and need a nominated bank to receive the currency which is a good exchange rate.
    You can't expect a good exchange rate from any bank. All will charge you ~2.5-3%.
    We go abroad a lot and may buy a property in the future. Any idea for an account we can use which is not for the uber rich? I hope this is the right forum and in the right place as I am a newbie!!
    So, what do you actually want? Convert to £ at good rate or to keep the original currency in a currency account?
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 February 2017 at 10:12PM
    Options
    So, i now have an actual EURO bank account with a bank not in the UK including a debit card !

Wow. Free card transactions, cash and SEPA payments in euros.

So, what is the process. Load up Revolut in GBP, convert and pay my IBAN?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So, i now have an actual EURO bank account with a bank not in the UK including a debit card !

Wow. Free card transactions, cash and SEPA payments in euros.

Which bank?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's correct, totally free transfer and interbank rate (weekdays) on up to £5k/mth conversion.

How about mentioning who your bank is, and what kind of debit card, Maestro, V-Pay..?
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport