Making Cards - Ideas (part 6)

Options

Comments

• THE-WIFE_3
    THE-WIFE_3 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2012 at 11:18PM
    Options
    :D:D Padster, just wait till you see the wedding card that has gone off with the keepsake, I used real imitation fur on that one. There wasn't many if any wedding card challenges about, so I'll save that one till later :D:D

I tried using some leopard print acetate butterflies but they kept [STRIKE]falling[/STRIKE] flying off, couldn't get them to look like they had just landed on the flowers and not stapled on!
    :whistle: Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH CARP, SHE'S UP"! :whistle:

• morgana
    morgana Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I've just found this thread and am very b=new to cardmaking. I have bought some stuff, essential tools and 'stock' and ATM painstakingly made a few cards. I have a question that I'm sure can be answered on here :)
    I have downloaded some free papers and bought a Joanna Sheen off ebay to print off toppers, papers and (I think) inserts. My question is- Should these be printed off on paper (and what weight and grade/ make of paper) then stuck on to the cardstock with some sort of adhesive (double sided tape or a roll on glue thingy )Or should they be printed onto card (again, what weight and grade/ make of card) and stuck on?
    I read that crafters seem to have ink jet printers but I have a small colour laser that I use in mt=y business and wonder if that is suitable too.
    Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Thanks
    Mags
  • Marg
    Marg Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    morgana wrote: »
    Hi. I've just found this thread and am very b=new to cardmaking. I have bought some stuff, essential tools and 'stock' and ATM painstakingly made a few cards. I have a question that I'm sure can be answered on here :)
    I have downloaded some free papers and bought a Joanna Sheen off ebay to print off toppers, papers and (I think) inserts. My question is- Should these be printed off on paper (and what weight and grade/ make of paper) then stuck on to the cardstock with some sort of adhesive (double sided tape or a roll on glue thingy )Or should they be printed onto card (again, what weight and grade/ make of card) and stuck on?
    I read that crafters seem to have ink jet printers but I have a small colour laser that I use in mt=y business and wonder if that is suitable too.
    Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Thanks
    Mags

Hello & Welcome Morgana I used to print my inserts on ordinary copy paper but have more recently started to use the 60gms paper I use for my images. On balance think I prefer the heavier weight but both work fine. There's no absolute right or wrong you can print directly on the card if you wish - a lot of crafters fully decorate the inside of their cards as well as the outer. Check out some of their blogs to see what I mean.

I use Double Sided Tape to stick inserts in but for most sticking I use Anita's Tacky glue as the DST 'grabs' too quick for me. I'm sure your laser printer will be OK for inserts - most problems arise with printing when you want to colour images as some 'bleed' more than others.

Oh! I've just re-read your question and think I may have misunderstood - When I print my own paper I always print on to the 60gms paper - copy paper is too flimsy.

HTH
  • morgana
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Mags. The paper I use in the printer ATM is Tesco Value 75gsm copier/ fax paper. It has a nice glossy type finish to it and I use it for everyday printing.
    Know what you mean about dtp being a little 'keen'. I watch Create and Craft when I can and they seem to use allsorts of adhesives. It's like being faced with loads of cutlery at a formal dinner and not knowing which to use <g>
  • retiredandskint
    Options
    Me again :D Always with the questions.

After watching create and craft this morning they were advertising an envelope maker and I wondered if anyone had one and what they thought of it.

This cardmaking is very addictive and expensive :eek:
  • THE-WIFE_3
    Options
    Me again :D Always with the questions.

After watching create and craft this morning they were advertising an envelope maker and I wondered if anyone had one and what they thought of it.

This cardmaking is very addictive and expensive :eek:

I've got one, retired, and it's in a box somewhere but to be honest if I've got a few flowers etc on my card I usually pop it in a box and only use envelopes for 'flat' cards. I have a friend who uses her envelope board to line her envelopes. This usually is thrown away after it's been open but a box can be kept. If I haven't got a box the right size I'll wrap the card in tissue paper and tie with a bow.

Have a look on ebay for one as they do turn up at a reasonable price, it's where I got mine.
    :whistle: Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH CARP, SHE'S UP"! :whistle:

• THE-WIFE_3
    Options
    Hi! Morgana welcome to the Spendy Palace, we make sure that your purse is kept empty and your money spent on craft bits and pieces that you never knew you really need.

I print on ordinary copier paper for the cards I post to the USA as I'm in a card swap with about 11 other. For general printing I'll use between 80gsm to 120gsm for the sentiment. I cut my folded paper down to the same size as the card and then just nibble bits off until it's just a fraction smaller than the card. I then run a small piece (2") of dst or a tape runner down the folded edge of the paper, pop it inside the card so that folded edge to folded edge and then press gently down. Using a small piece means that you can
    lift it off fairly easily if it's not quite in line and then reposition.

• mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooft I'm knackered - went to the SECC today and shopped till I dropped! I didn't spend as much as last time I went, partly because it was a smaller show this time and partly because I forgot to take my list of Promarker colours with me so didn't know which ones I still had on my list to buy :(

I've updated my blog a lot since yesterday with some makes and also with all my new stash!
  • morgana
    Options
    Thanks Marg and THE WIFE for your welcome. Like what you said about the spendy palace. i am finding that out already ! Thanks for the advice too- very helpful :)
  • retiredandskint
    Options
    THE-WIFE wrote: »
    I've got one, retired, and it's in a box somewhere but to be honest if I've got a few flowers etc on my card I usually pop it in a box and only use envelopes for 'flat' cards. I have a friend who uses her envelope board to line her envelopes. This usually is thrown away after it's been open but a box can be kept. If I haven't got a box the right size I'll wrap the card in tissue paper and tie with a bow.

Have a look on ebay for one as they do turn up at a reasonable price, it's where I got mine.

Thank you. I've just bought one off the BAY of E for £6.90 that also makes boxes complete with a bow maker :T

Now all I've got to do is work out how to set up a home-page/blog and put photos on. Oh and make some cards of course :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure