We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Shower not working

Options
Hi

My alto electric shower stopped producing hot water a couple of mornings ago. I noticed the RCD had tripped. Having reset this, the red light on the switch comes only but only luke warm water comes out. Eventually, it gets cold.

What should I do. Replace the entire shower unit or just a part. I'm wondering whether the problem is with the thermostat.

I'm not a technical person so any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There is very little to repair on shower units these days.

By the time you call out an electrician, he diagnoses the fault and obtains parts if required(probably from the manufacturer), it will probably be just as cheap to get a new shower unit.

As long as you ensure that the new shower is compatible with your plumbing(bottom/top inlet pipe) and doen't exceed your RCD rating, it is a simple job.
  • shamc
    shamc Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks

Will I need a plumber or electrician to do this or can I do it myself
  • Cardew
    Options
    shamc wrote: »
    Thanks

Will I need a plumber or electrician to do this or can I do it myself

Any competent DIYer would manage it quite easily.

However in these days of 'Health and Safety' I wouldn't be surprised if there is some regulation that means an electrician has to get involved.

That said I had a shower replaced a couple of years ago by a plumber(the supply pipe needed altering and that was above my pay grade and skills!!) and the plumber connected it up himself.
  • don0301
    don0301 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Any competent DIYer would manage it quite easily.

However in these days of 'Health and Safety' I wouldn't be surprised if there is some regulation that means an electrician has to get involved.

That said I had a shower replaced a couple of years ago by a plumber(the supply pipe needed altering and that was above my pay grade and skills!!) and the plumber connected it up himself.

you should be very careful quoting innacurate and unlawful things like this

electrical work in a room that has water comes under part p of building regulations.

as you said you are not a technical person shamc, you need to get a part p registered electrician or plumber to do this work.

just as a note:

From January 1st 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations will be controlled under the Building Regulations. When the time comes to sell your property, your purchaser's surveyors will ask for evidence that "notifiable" domestic electrical work, installed after 1st January 2005 complies with the new Building Regulations.

hope this helps
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    don0301 wrote: »

electrical work in a room that has water comes under part p of building regulations.
    You should be very careful quoting innacurate and misleading things like this.
    as you said you are not a technical person shamc, you need to get a part p registered electrician or plumber to do this work.
    No he doesn't. Replacement on a like for like basis electrically does not require Prt P Notification. Its moot IMHO whether it needs a MWC though. Plumbing work isn't subject to Part P.
    hope this helps
    Sorry it diudn't.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Cardew
    Options

just as a note:

From January 1st 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations will be controlled under the Building Regulations. When the time comes to sell your property, your purchaser's surveyors will ask for evidence that "notifiable" domestic electrical work, installed after 1st January 2005 complies with the new Building Regulations.

hope this helps

No it doesn't help!

Do you ever read posts, or at least understand them, before leaping in and making a fool of yourself.

I stated that the work could be carried out by a competent DIYer but drew attention to the possibility that Health and Safety regulations required an electrician.

I also pointed out in an earlier post about the rating of the shower.

The electrical connection simply consists of connecting 3 wires to a terminal block. I suppose you consider it beyond the capabilities of a competent DIYer to be able to distinguish between Live, Neutral and Earth?

So pray tell me what is inaccurate or unlawful about my post?
  • shamc
    shamc Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't mean to cause a fight.

I'm not a plumber or electrician so any advice is appreciated.
  • don0301
    don0301 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    You should be very careful quoting innacurate and misleading things like this.

No he doesn't. Replacement on a like for like basis electrically does not require Prt P Notification. Its moot IMHO whether it needs a MWC though. Plumbing work isn't subject to Part P.

Sorry it diudn't.

Cheers

i never mentioned plumbing work.

electrical work in a room with water DOES come under part p of building regulations.

your post is the unhelpful one.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

electrical work in a room with water DOES come under part p of building regulations.

Do you have a copy of the Part P regs?

Look at page 9....

The fitting and replacement of electric showers is not notifiable unless a new circuit is needed.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    No but I did for completeness.
    I didn't say it didn't but actually your statement is incorrect. Part P applies to "special locations". A downstairs cloakroom which has water in it is not a special location and not subject to Part P.

It would help if you read what people write. OP does NOT require to notify under Part P for a electrical like for like replacement in a special location so it does not require a Part P electrican. The work should, however, be compliant with Edn 17 of the wiring regulations but that is a completely different issue from Part P.
    Of course you would think that because you clearly don't understand what Part P is about.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport