PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Chinese Takeaways?

Options

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    I did that but never found a use for them, so I don't bother anymore

Making batches of chilli, spag bol (etc) and freezing them to microwave later!
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The tubs are so useful that I see them as a reason not to feel guilty about having a takeaway. They do eventually crack and get thrown away, so when we run out we know it's takeaway time again!

The tubs have millions of uses - batch cooking, keeping cheese once grated, felt pens & crayons, packing ingredients for school for DS2's Food Tech lessons, keeping all my sewing and jewellery making bits, storing batteries so they don't get lost once the pack is opened - the uses are limitless.

I feel a takeway coming on ....
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Psykicpup wrote:
    I deliberately save some for the morning! :eek:

Cold chow mein is the best cold in the morning/for lunch.... I'm about to have some now... mmmm!!:p

Un sou est un sou
  • Little_Miss_Naughty
    Options
    Hi Experts!
    I have some left over Chinese food from last night in my fridge - can i freeze this?
    I have
    - Beef in Blackbean sauce
    - Sweet & Sour Chicken
    - Rice
    Thanks for your help
    Sealed Pot Challenge #601
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I have done that before. It usually tastes a bit different ,blander.
  • missmoneysave
    Options
    Hi all, fairly new poster in general but first time on OS. I'm really new to this OS type thing and wanted to ask whats the best thing to do with leftover take away curry?

Do you just keep it an have it day after? What is safest way of keeping it and re heating it?

Having a take away treat tomorrow night and can never finish a portion and didn't want to waste it. Thanks in advance folks!
    Comper, Blogger & OS-er
    Competition prizes: £6/£2015
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    After reading dire warnings about leftover rice I now do things a bit differently to what I used to do, i.e. scoff it for breakfast. I now portion out what I know I will eat and put the rest straight in the freezer.

Have to say though never suffered any ill effects previously and dont know anyone who has, but best be safe I suppose.
    Slimming World at target
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    Welcome to OS (I'm quite new myself!)

Your curry should be fine re-heated the next day. I'd divide it into two portions before starting to eat so that I get two proper meals. Stick the spare on in a tubbie in the fridge and nuke it when you want to eat it the next day. I don't think you're meant to freeze take-away food as you don't know whether it's been frozen previously but, other than that, I don't think you'll go wrong.

Enjoy your treat :)
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would pop it into its container (one of these plastic ones?) cool it down and refrigerate it. I would have thought it would be ok to freeze, then thaw at room temp and microwave until hot. I would microwave in a casserole dish BUT we have staff at work who regularly bring in left over takeaways, microwave and eat with no ill effect.

My only concern would be the container - don't microwave in plastic if you can avoid it - I use heatproof glass, with a lid;)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • kymbogs
    kymbogs Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, fairly new poster in general but first time on OS. I'm really new to this OS type thing and wanted to ask whats the best thing to do with leftover take away curry?

Do you just keep it an have it day after? What is safest way of keeping it and re heating it?

Having a take away treat tomorrow night and can never finish a portion and didn't want to waste it. Thanks in advance folks!

Hi and welcome to OS!
    Tbh I'd probably freeze it and next time I had a takeaway craving, defrost and reheat on microwave and serve with rice and HM flatbreads. Mmmmm.
    :heartpulsSpoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!:heartpuls

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure