PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Chinese Takeaways?

Options

Comments

• Chocmonster7
    Options
    The only thing you have to be careful of freezing & re-heating is plain rice as that can lead to some nasty tummy bugs. Other stuff in sauces, etc. should be okay. :)
  • Babylonian_2
    Options
    The only thing you have to be careful of freezing & re-heating is plain rice as that can lead to some nasty tummy bugs. Other stuff in sauces, etc. should be okay. :)

I was about to ask that - |I had been wondering if it was an urban myth - does anyone know what the issues are with rice???
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Babylonian wrote:
    I was about to ask that - |I had been wondering if it was an urban myth - does anyone know what the issues are with rice???

Left over rice can contain a nasty bacteria (bacillus cerius) so you need to be careful and make sure it's chilled quickly and kept cold or frozen before reheating it. Always make sure it's piping hot before serving.

Saying that, I have been reheating left over rice for years with no problems.

Pink (another chinese for breakfast fan)
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I love curry for breakfast - it always tastes even better once it's had the night to mature!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    pink and chocmonster have covered rice I'd also be a bit careful of prawns but otherwise as long as it's properly thawed and reheated then it should be fine and so much better than wasting it. I have to say we usually order extra Indian and then just eat it for lunch the next day.
  • littlescarlet
    Options
    If you are worried about reheating rice you can always make plain rice into egg-fried just a chopped onion fried first, add rice, give it a good stir round and then turn off heat, add beaten egg, stir round, voila!
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be worried about freezing and reheating most takeaways. All of the meat has been pre-cooked and left to cool already, so in essence you'd be reheating something that has already been reheated.

The same goes with egg fried rice, you can only make this from cold pre-cooked rice.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Me , DH and my elderly nan once had food poisoning from a chinese so for me any leftovers go in bin. I can't say for sure what caused it cos DH refused to either inform chinese or contact anyone over it :rolleyes: . I suspect the rice as the guilty product but I don't know.
  • Roger_Dodger_2
    Options
    I like to keep the tubs
  • mistresslenore
    Options
    I like to keep the tubs

I did that but never found a use for them, so I don't bother anymore
    With Love From The Mistress xx :p

£2 savings club = £60 :T
    Smarties savings = £ 40.00 :T
    Both started February 2006
This discussion has been closed.