🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to make it cool to achieve at school

Options

Comments

• rca779
    rca779 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ravenlady wrote: »
    You tell him how awesome freshers week at Uni is and bribe him.

Wish I knew :o
  • Keeping_Positive
    Keeping_Positive Posts: 4,750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 4 January 2012 at 4:09PM
    Options
    What is a SWOT analysis of himself?
    Uusally a table that lists Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. The first two are internal factors ie him and the latter two external ie friends, school.

I had to do one for an interview so I googled it and found a fair bit of guidence. Im sure you and him could work something out.

Regards your initial query. Similar with my girls the attitude changed once at secondary school. I just have to keep reminding them that they do well at school for them and them alone. The teachers will still get paid, us parents will still love them, they will still have friends but whatever they achieve at school they will be the ones who will either benefit or pay. No offence to McD employees but I always say that they may want to work there as a teen but not for their career!
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rca779 wrote: »
    What is a SWOT analysis of himself?

Strengths
    Weaknesses
    Opportunities
    Threats
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Strength, Weaknesses, Oppotunities, Threats. Its a small business model that helps look at perspective in where companies want to go. I know its a bit corporate so to speak but it could give him ideas. If he knows he's absolutely rubbish at rugby say he could devote more of that time to football which he is good at.

Obviously hes your little star so hes perfect at everything he does (nearly) but might be interesting to hear what he thinks hes best at and where he thinks his time should be apportioned, plus i think hell get loads of maturity points through that if you discuss different routes with him and what options he has.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    rca779 wrote: »
    Wish I knew :o

Pass him over to me, ill tell him!! :eek:

Probably best you dont know!! :A
  • rca779
    rca779 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Pass him over to me, ill tell him!! :eek:

Probably best you dont know!! :A

BRILLIANT :rotfl:
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Another year 8 parent here. Luckily second time around with my son, having already been through this with my daughter.

Year 8 is a treading water year and considered by everyone the easiest year at senior school. Next year he should be properly streamed for his ability, which will help no end with motivation. The teachers are looking closely at learning styles for each child per subject & lack of pressure helps to identify the self motivators vs those who need pushing. Also how children thrive under different teaching methods.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh, reading this I am once again pleased that we have decided to put DS into a private school. Yep it's expensive, I've gone back to full-time work, and DH is working hard hoping for promotion (and hence higher salary), and we have 5 - 7 years of struggle ahead of us, but our very bright boy is happy at school, gets lots of recognition for his achievements from his teachers, and is now being asked by classmates to help them, simply because the prevailing attitude is to appreciate achievement - whether that is academic, sporting, music or extra-curricular. I had already worked out that the culture in our local comprehensive schools didn't work that way.

Don't get me wrong, DS is also obsessed by Minecraft. But he does homework and music practice first, and has a set amount of time per day on the computer.

His ambition is to become a "master builder at Legoland" when he grows up. He's worked out that having a degree in Maths or Engineering will most likely get him to achieve his ambition. So he's happily striving hard in all his academic subjects to make sure he gets a place at a good university.

He is only 12, I know things could change, but I'm crossing my fingers
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    year 8 as said above really is a treading water year - year 7 is all ablout settling in, growing into High School, year 8 my son barely seemed to do anything then year 9 and options it all steps up a bit - did my son the world of good to hear that he might not be able to do the subject he wanted for GCSE - low and behold 2 weeks later he's getting 100% in his test. Sometimes a bit of 'failure' shocks them into action!

Luckily his group of mates are all bright kids and there is enough friendly competition between them to push them all on a bit. Its in the unsetted classes like geography that he struggles with the not so bright ones taking the p!ss - luckily its only is a few unimportant subjects they aren't setted
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • spadoosh
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    oh, reading this I am once again pleased that we have decided to put DS into a private school. Yep it's expensive, I've gone back to full-time work, and DH is working hard hoping for promotion (and hence higher salary), and we have 5 - 7 years of struggle ahead of us, but our very bright boy is happy at school, gets lots of recognition for his achievements from his teachers, and is now being asked by classmates to help them, simply because the prevailing attitude is to appreciate achievement - whether that is academic, sporting, music or extra-curricular. I had already worked out that the culture in our local comprehensive schools didn't work that way.

Don't get me wrong, DS is also obsessed by Minecraft. But he does homework and music practice first, and has a set amount of time per day on the computer.

His ambition is to become a "master builder at Legoland" when he grows up. He's worked out that having a degree in Maths or Engineering will most likely get him to achieve his ambition. So he's happily striving hard in all his academic subjects to make sure he gets a place at a good university.

He is only 12, I know things could change, but I'm crossing my fingers

You really want your child to build lego as an adult?!?! And have sent him to a private school to achieve this?! I would imagine there are cheaper ways of getting into that career?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport