Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge - Page 64

New Post Advanced Search

Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
698 replies 88K views

Replies

• flippin36flippin36 Forumite
    2K posts
    I was browsing in ASDA's reduced section today, and found a joint of silverside beef with a yellow sticker saying 65p!! Obviously whoever reduced it had made a mistake, but as I didnt particularly need it, I pointed it out to a member of staff who was also there with a young mum, perhaps her daughter. After some deliberation she put it in her trolly.

Felt a bit of a idiot for not just grabbing it, but at least someone went home with a real bargain.

:)
    Did the same thing myself the other day. There were loads of large packs of mince beef in chiller for 19p:). I spent ages inspecting them because the meat had lost its redness and was looking a little darker than I would have preferred. I put it back and like a flash the woman behind me grabbed the whole lot telling husband that he will be living on mince for the rest of the month :p. Anyway came home and my OH said the mince should have been ok to eat. Looked it up and sure enough mince that has losts its redness is perfectly edible. Missed out :(.
  • terra_fermaterra_ferma Forumite
    5.5K posts
    flippin36 wrote: »
    Did the same thing myself the other day. There were loads of large packs of mince beef in chiller for 19p:). I spent ages inspecting them because the meat had lost its redness and was looking a little darker than I would have preferred. I put it back and like a flash the woman behind me grabbed the whole lot telling husband that he will be living on mince for the rest of the month :p. Anyway came home and my OH said the mince should have been ok to eat. Looked it up and sure enough mince that has losts its redness is perfectly edible. Missed out :(.

I don't pick up the darkened grey/brownish meat either, it may just be the way it looks, but if it has big brown patches I don't buy it.
    You have to draw the line somewhere, sometimes I see things reduced that look really disgusting. Most stuff is OK though, and great savings to be had :)
  • skintsocksskintsocks Forumite
    423 posts
    I'm with you, for some reason, if it doesn't look red, I'm not buying it. I'm sure it's fine, I just have no desire to be ill, and black marks on meat put me right off. Was on my way out of work today, and got 2 gala pie slices for 29p, 6 kids yogurts for 45p, a loaf of bread for 19p, and mozzarella for 9p a ball (bought three and have frozen them, as my daughter likes it sliced on garlic slices). Pretty happy with that, and I have to admit, I'm not usually a yellow sticker buyer. I did note people hanging around but pretending they weren't though :)

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work
  • skintsocksskintsocks Forumite
    423 posts
    Oh, and I'm only saying I'm not usually a yellow sticker buyer, because I'm notoriously impatient and rush around like a maniac in the supermarket. I wish I was as canny a shopper as most of you. And it was Mr S :)

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work
  • Millie2008_2Millie2008_2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I have been a bit lapse recently with looking for YS, but I popped into a Mr T express store tonight and got a loaf of Hovis best of both for 11p. I was going to spend £1 odd on a loaf, so was happy with that. There was more bread and had my freezer not been as rammed full, I would have bought some more!
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you buy good quality meat it is not bright red in colour.
  • spike2012spike2012 Forumite
    431 posts
    Could someone tell me the "real" rules for frozen meat? Everything I freeze says eat within one month. Ive eaten meat 2 months past Use by... been fine, but found some peppered steaks in the freezer from FEB. Ended up binning them after contemplating the potential illness for 50p. I then went to tesco and bought 5 bread at 7p each, a baby gem lettuce for 14p and some sandwiches which I+friend munched on in the evening for 11p each. Felt better for that but felt bad as someone else could have had the 50p peppered steaks :(. Would they have been okay? Thats the problem with a chest freezer and things hiding at the bottom :(

Since I last posted in Feb,I have learned a lot. For example, the times in which are best to visit certain stored, going at 6 means half price meat. If any left by 8 its 75% off. By 10 its 90% off but the staff have been seen picking off the 75% stuff for themselves so now I am for occasional 50% off and hover around when the 75% is coming off.
    A large tesco in my city centre often has full pallets of bread at 80% off on Friday evenings. Braces and hovis for 11p - 17p a loaf etc.
    I freeze the bread and sometimes give a loaf to the brother/sister in law to help them out! Dread to think what happens when they dont sell it all (but I can imagine):eek:
    Baby daughter born 13.2.10 :j 6lb 11.5oz
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steak frozen from Feb 2012? Would have eaten them no problems.
  • Millie2008_2Millie2008_2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Re Frozen meat, I always tend to think that as long as the freezer hasn't been off and it has been held at a constant temperature, theoretically it should be ok for ages, as there are very few microbes that like to live at -18 degrees! - and freezing is a bit like stopping time. I guess you might get some deterioration in the taste over a long time, but from a health and safety POV, there wouldn't be a problem
  • Managed to get a packet of ten beef burgers today for 80p (the fresh 3 for £10 ones), 2 packets of 6 muffin/ tea cakes for 10p and from tesco we got a twin pack of lettuce for 1p. We had burgers for tea, in case you hadn't guessed. Burgers for five people for £1.01, not bad :)
    Also bought two packets of strawberries for 24p as I'm mad on them, at the minute!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support