PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: folks - another ridiculously early start to the day for me this morning - been up since 4.50 am this time :(.

The minute my eyes open, I'm working out how to get as much 'sensible/liftable weight' into packing boxes rolleyes.gif!

Welcome back home, lucy_lemon - hope you had a good time in NY. I was in Chicago a couple of months ago - I bet you brought back as many souvenirs as I did ;). I believe NY at this time of year is pretty spectacular :).

Congrats on getting your bedroom floor clear of all those Tombola Prizes, loopychriss :j - hope it raised lots of money for 'whatever it was for'. :T to your OH too for clearing away all the christmas decs debris while you were out - what a great fella! Sometimes we can forget about the OH when we're 'getting involved in stuff' and they're left to 'fill in' in our absence - sounds like 'you've got a good 'un' there :)!

:T for the information on charity shops collecting things, suzeesu- but none of them were able to collect within my 'timeframe' :(. Some can put me down for a collection AFTER Christmas - I suppose the voluteer drivers have their schedules to meet as well as their own personal Christmas agendas.

More books packed for moving last night - plus lots of really tatty ones have gone into the recycling bin. That breaks me up as, all my life, I've detested throwing away/losing books - hence the build-up that [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] we've accumulated! I've now come to the decision that any books that OH considers to be 'his collection' can be relocated to his own flat along with two of the bookcases. If HE wants them that much, then he can provide storage room for them :rotfl:. The same can be said for his collection of HIS mountain walks photographs ....................

I've got somebody coming to collect the 'too good to chuck out - but prepared to do without' books later today plus another two people 'waiting in the wings' to see if they 'don't show up' :j.

I'm now realising how much things must have hurt those people in 'Life Laundry' when it was on TV a few years back comforting.gif.

I've also packed two boxes with all my clothes (labelled) - left out a couple of outfits, some underwear and nightclothes for however long this is going to take :j. Another two boxes contain my shoes/boots/trainers - some in their own boxes, but that may have to change as the actual boxes would come in useful for packing smaller items ;).

I've got two 'blanket chests/ottomans' with bedding/pillows/curtains in - do you think it's best to leave them as is shrug.gif? Doesn't seem to make real sense to remove the contents into even more boxes while carting out empty items of furniture that aren't heavy.

I'm beginning to 'over-think things' at the moment :( - think it's HSclock-smiley.giffor coffee.gifand toast before having a HSsingshower.gif. I want to pay a visit to the Carpet Warehouse to check out what they've got and see if they can pencil me in for a 'measure up' as soon as I sign and get the keys! Fingers crossed that they can supply/fit in less than a week :eek: - I need it doing while the place is empty.

Got told yesterday that they will remove the stairlift AFTER I get the keys. Told them 'no chance of that' - or words to that effect - I want it gone BEFORE signing anything. I worked for them quite long enough to know what 'their promises' can mean.

Ok folks - that's my morning rant over and done with - hope you all have a great day decluttering and getting on with your Christmas Preparations.

Lilyplonk xxx
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loopy what are estate agents like??! An open house day will not only get the house tidy but also give you lots of feedback. :j

Don't push yourself too hard lily plonk, you'll need lots of energy for the move. :j

Must dash it's freezing here! I must also do some decluttering today! :)
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lilyplonk wrote: »
    Opened OH's wardrobe to find that he'd got a mountain of 'his book collection' stashed in there. These are mostly very large books on various iconic bands - Queen - Beatles - Stones - U2 - Led Zep - Radiohead - Who - and many more and also lots of concert programmes. xx

The Concert programmes could well be worth money and the ticket stubs if he still has them. Just believe me on this one :D

It would be worth checking the books on Amazon or ebay and, with the common stuff, checking what the postage will be. Sadly, the books may not be as collectible as he hopes.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • fitnessfreak74
    Options
    wow lilyplonk, I was dizzy just reading about all your activity :)

Not much since the weekend for me. Freecycler coming to collect the small bag of Christmas decs and the EA Sports Active leg band which I have left on doorstep.

I have responded to two Wanteds on Freecycle for a clothes horse and some purple paint. I'll be glad to get shot of the clothes horse as I don't think I have used it since uni donkeys years ago plus I am a bit afraid of it ever since I read that horrifying story in the Daily Mail :eek:

I have watchers for all but 3 of the 9 things on ebay so fingers crossed things go better this time round.
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    short_bird wrote: »
    The Concert programmes could well be worth money and the ticket stubs if he still has them. Just believe me on this one :D

It would be worth checking the books on Amazon or ebay and, with the common stuff, checking what the postage will be. Sadly, the books may not be as collectible as he hopes.

Thanks, short_bird :) - There's no way that I could get him to part with his concert programmes OR his ticket stubs - especially the autographed ones. Those particular books are also the ones that he won't get rid of, so he's been informed that 'collection of books' is to go to his own flat IF they're that important and he wants to keep them ;). I've even offered him 2 of the sets of book shelves to house them on :D.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And if he's got any photos of the signing events, pop those in as well so they're all together...:D
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    After reading Lily's whirl of de-cluttering efforts, I'm somewhat sheepish to admit that my own de-cluttering efforts are on the backburner for Christmas. What with cards and presents, wrapping paper and additional food, it seems there's STUFF everywhere.

I'm not too worried though, as I'll start afresh in January. Can't wait for the 2013 Decluttering Thread. I've seen that a lot of people list the items decluttered. I'm going to do that next year, as it'll be interesting to keep a tally of stuff out the door.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A very quick dash in to report some decluttering, all xmas related

178.179.180. Old xmas decs
    181.182. Bags to friends
    183.184.185.186.187. Xmas pressies
    188. Old tinsel
    189.190.191. Bottle gift bags, home made but re gifted
    192.193. More xmas decs

So much xmas stuff! Re used unloved xmas decs to decorate presents. So nothing wasted.

:j
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Very quiet here this morning! Congrats lilyplonk on taking the ebay plunge. :T and thanks Becky for the tip re hair conditioner, I had no idea. I have been using mine to shave my legs in a desperate bid to finish it but will try that as well.

Fitnessfreak74, I add the conditioner onto a wet brillowpad and then start scrubbing the zinks (just make sure that the pad is continuing to be wet and a bit foamy). I find it makes the zinks cleaner compared to normal cleaning products and they also get a bit shiny.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Hubby has been really poorly, his immune system is rubbish with all the treatment and meds he has to take, so him getting a virus was a seriously bad idea. _pale_

While he has been sleeping during the day I have been finding quiet stuff to do, have actually cleared all, yes ALL the ironing!!! I had forgotten what my sofa looked like without a pile of laundry on it. :eek:

Suzeesu2000, hope you husband soon feel a bit better. I wish him a speedy recovery
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure