PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Battleon
    Options
    Ditch 100 in January

Oh count me in too please!

1. Clutter from cutlery drawer...bin
    2. Baby spoons/medicine spoons from kids cutlery....bin
    3. Old makeup...bin
    4. Old mattress cover...bin
    5. Packaging for new mattress....bin
    6. Excess plates, bowls etc....waiting to go to CS
    7. Old jewellery...bin
    8. Old calander...bin
  • Sylvia1982
    Sylvia1982 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Ditch 100 in January

Can i join please?

I have already started prior to finding this post.
    Must save to live, not just live to save!!! :think:
    Challenge Save 12k in 2019 #141 £6,143.34/£6k
    Deposit £82,317.88/£120K :jFees/ect £12K/£12K:jEmergency fund £1K/£1K
    :A
    :A'Saving again after parting with a lot of money enjoying life:rotfl::A
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nothing new to declare as ditched today, but i bought a small set of drawers for DS to put his x box games in to stop them being strewn all over the floor, I have listed some books and DVDs on ebay but won't count them until they have gone. I have added a couple of CDs to the music magpie stash but won't count those.

It seems like everyone is doing great - keep up the good work.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • oldestgnome
    Options
    Please include me too Ditch 100 in January just what I need to do thank you so much for putting up this thread :T

I've already started:
    1. Mixed box of recycling
    2. Bag of books (freecycle) there were 15 does this count as 1 or 15 :D
    3. Very old vitamin tablets - chucked
    4. Christmas cards - recycled
    5. New trousers - returned to shop
    6. Magazine collection - recycled

• katie1968
    Options
    Love to join this one. So far I have:

1. Daughter's old carpet - Freecycled - Gone Today
    2. Broken Chest Freezer - Freecycled Gone Today
    3. 10 Cardboard boxes flatpacked - Freecycled delivering to someone Monday 16th Jan. (Good Deed)
    4. Decorated and cleared daughter's room - bags of rubbish and recycling all gone.
    5. Sorted my and daughters wardrobes, some items on ebay, some on facebook, still lots left to list just need time.
    6. Daughter's wooden shelving thing, re-using in garden to plant potatoes in.
    7. Old Calenders - recycling bin.
    8. Spare mattress on daughter's bed for some reason, - Freecycled and gone.
    9. Daughter's broken alarm clock - bin
    Cabot Finance (Barclaycard) £3391, Capital One - £3237, GE Money Loan - £710, O/D - £3000
    RBS Charging Order - £27.900, Mortgage - £163,167 (Interest Free)
    TARGET - Pay of CC's and overpay Loan, then attack O/D, then save money to make an offer on RBS and finally overpay mortgage when all other debts are cleared.
    :A:money::j
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Ditch 100 in January 15/100

13. More OOD food - prehistoric linseed and millet
    14. The excess mugs made it to work
    15. A small bit of laminate flooring that was kicking around - not a big thing, but in finding it, I did have to clean out the stair cupboard and carpet it with the offcut of underlay and the offcut of carpet from upstairs - effectively removing these two bits from the work in progress room upstairs :)

I have items on ebay at the moment too (I'll add them if they sell and they have actually left the building). Target for tomorrow is to list some clothes on ebay. I have had two requests on items to close the auction early; I don't really know what to say though - I don't know how and I'd sort of feel bad pulling a listing before close. Both have lots of watchers, but it's not really about the money :(

OH is back - in unpacking, he has bought items in :( Feel bad CSing christmas presents, but I don't know what to do with a lavender oil infusing vapour bath (not sure what it is - but that's roughly what it translates as - it looks like a bath for a borrower with manflu). I might give it to my parents to use as a raffle prize for their charity, that'll confuse people.

Stacked all the alcoholic things in a box. Really not sure why we end up with so much of it - both of us rarely drink. OH took a bottle of wine in for a work collegue, but that doesn't count because he bought back another one from Germany.

Freecycle no show again today *sigh* Why is it so hard to give things away?
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    Well I FINALLY decluttered my wardrobes!

14. 3 bags of rubbish clothes that were far too past it.
    15. 1 huge bag of stuff for the charity shop
    16. A bag to give to my mum
    17. Store cupboard reorganised and a couple of things that I'd forgotten about chucked.
    18. Bag of items to be listed on ebay, mainly with tags on!
    19. Small bag of mens clothes to give to little ones dad.
    20. Tent and camping supplies out in the shed in a box to store.
    21. More Christmas items I'd forgotten about to go into the Christmas box.
    22. 3 cardboard boxes put out for the recycling.

I am pretty pleased with the amount of stuff I've managed and I'm up to 21 items.

*Off to update sig*
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    celyn90 wrote: »
    Ditch 100 in January 15/100

I have items on ebay at the moment too (I'll add them if they sell and they have actually left the building). Target for tomorrow is to list some clothes on ebay. I have had two requests on items to close the auction early; I don't really know what to say though - I don't know how and I'd sort of feel bad pulling a listing before close. Both have lots of watchers, but it's not really about the money :(

Personally, I'd leave them to run - esp if there's watchers on the items as lots bid at the last minute. If you just end the auction, then effectively you'd selling away from ebay and not protected in any way by the feedback system. If you try and add a buy it now option, then you have to factor in the extra cost.

However, if the auctions have several days left to run - you could easily change the listing from a 7 day auction to a 5 (or 3) day auction.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • gsdloopy
    gsdloopy Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done everyone! So much clearing done :T

I've managed to get a bit done. I took down the tree and decorations which make our small house look a little less cluttered already! I'm just waiting for OH to take them up the loft but they're boxed and labelled - go me!

I've gone through half a shelf (literally) and put another 30 books, games and magazines on ebay. Five of the items I'd already listed sold today too.

I'm not hopeful at doing 100 items in January unless I start counting normal "waste" (can I include the half bottle of wine I decluttered? ;)). It's taken years to get this much carp around us so I don't expect an overnight miracle but as long as I keep getting rid of things I'm going in the right direction.
  • darwins_mum
    Options
    Good morning all, hope everyone is as well as can be and not buried under a pile of clutter and rubbish! How do we let it get sooooo bad?
    I had a big clear out in the middle of last year, but find it has quickly built up again over the months.
    I would like to aim for an item a day this year in an attempt to retain my sanity.
    My areas of crazyness seem to be cupboards and drawers. Under the stairs is a horror show, if you don't hear from me for a while please send the rescue services to my house as I will have been swallowed up by the demon which lurks within.
    I have lurked this post for a few days and have been inspired to start small by putting my gazillions of cds, dvds and sons old computer games onto musicmagpie. It will hardly raise me a queens ransom, but have "earned" £10 already which will make a bit of a difference to my reduced circumstances.

I fully understand the theory behind the benefits of less clutter and am actually giving a small talk in 2 weeks on the benefits of de-cluttering - so I better start practising what I preach.

Good luck with your brave attempts at getting rid of the rubbish.
    My items to go today is a binliner full of bedding after tackling the airing cupboard (forced to do it after finding evidence of mice euch). All nicely boarded and all gaps sealed to prevent the little blighters coming back.
    5 of old pyrex dishes that have been sat by the front door since November.

I am determined to have a concerted effort as I have 2 viewings from potential lodgers this coming week and want to present the house in its best light.
    Have a great day and remember the principle of eating an elephant.
    DM
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2015 £48.58/£200 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills