PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ditch 100 challenge - 4/100

1 - bottle of nail varnish used as much as I can - bin
    2 - box of fancy dress bits from musical group that were in garage - gone via freecycle
    3 - Christmas cards from last year into recycling (I keep them for a year then recycle all but the ones we've sent each other)
    4 - unwanted Christmas sweets - into work.

Will be making the most of the ebay free listing this weekend, will try and get some bits on tonight to end mid week that I want to start for 99p then some other bigger bits for more than that over the weekend.
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    I've started using my filofax (thanks to another post) so will be logging the hundred items.

I'm getting quite excited about this project. Sad or what?

I had a filofax that I never used. I nice expensive one and never got round to selling it on eB. Then in the Autumn I fell in love with the Dodo stationery and they do an A5 academic year diary which fits perfectly. I bought it cheap on Amazon and haven't looked back. It's great for recording all sorts & keeping things together in one place that you need to grab frequently - though I still use my ipod for money stuff.

I've just done a bit of a declutter. What was meant to be a superficial tidy of the kitchen has resulted in 4 cupboards being cleared and tidied and rearranged. It means:
    1. the kitchen looks even messier now until I rehome the things I've left out.
    2. I have 4 (:rotfl:) bottles of screenwash.

These are the things I've decluttered so far:

Ditch 100 in January

1. Necklace (unwanted present) – car boot box
    2. Empty hot choc jar – chucked
    3. Dying plant – chucked
    4. 2 bottles sun tan lotion – chucked
    5. Old lip gloss – chucked
    6. Bag of bird seed – give away (mum and dad)
    7. Bags of cat treats – give away (RSPCA)
    8. Old cat treat tin - repurposed as pen holder on desk

Not to mention a whole full black bag of rubbish that was in the cupboards!!!!! I never would have thought so much rubbish was in them...:o
    Well done to penelope penguin - am I right you're the one that had the idea for this challenge?

Having a rest now until able to clear away the additional mess I've created!
  • jess1011
    jess1011 Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2012 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Ditch 100 in January

Forgot to put ditch 100 in january on my first post so here is the current total

13 DVD's on eBay
    14 CD's on eBay
    6 Books on eBay
    1 roman blind on Freegle
    1 door curtain on Freegle
    1 carrier bag full on beauty lotions and potions on Freegle
    2 recycle wheelie bins full of carp :o
    4 books on F/Book
    1 bag ready for CS

Total so far 43/100

Off to tidy bedroom, wish me luck!
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds interesting! Am going to look at that! Have you found it helpful yet?

Well the 2011 one is organized room by room so January is de-cluttering the bedroom and then February is organizing it. But the 2012 one is more a little bit here, a little bit there. I'm hoping if I have a go at both it will get the job done a little quicker!
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • aligerdie
    aligerdie Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge

Had a productive day today:
    18. Bag of old towels collected by Freegler
    19. 5 baby blankets sold on FB
    20. Daughters coat sold on fb
    21. Daughters jeans, tshirts and dress sold on fb - allclothes have been collected :D
    22. Cardboard put in recycling
    23. Full bag of recycling put out
    24. Clothes further sorted and some put in bag in car ready for cash 4 clothes.

I'll be going to the tip tomorrow, so will be sorting tonight too - with a glass of vino!

24/100 :)
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    11. kitchen cd/radio - cd long broken, radio only got local radio and i listen to radio mostly thru the telly now.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all. Well, had an epic failure on the decluttering front this week and have done nothing since last weekend. Between OH and I we managed to clear the mantlepiece in the lounge though - it looks really bare!!

Am going to get back to it again this weekend and would really like to join the Ditch 100 in January Challenge to motivate me please.

Right now I need to declutter the cat off my lap but she's keeping me warm so might leave it a little while yet.
  • Determined_2b_Debt_Free
    Determined_2b_Debt_Free Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2012 at 8:25PM
    Options
    DITCH 100 IN JANUARY 13/100

10. Newspapers x 2
    11. Colon cleanse I bought for DH because of his bad wind :eek:
    12. DH's old phone posted to Envirofone
    13. Handful of stuff out of jewellery box (whilst searching for ebay finds)

More to come later...
    Me, DH and DD (17 months) clearing our debt for a better future. Then (LBM) = £21,636.43 (Oct 2009) Now = £12128.07 (44%)
    GOALS/CHALLENGES
    Try to get credit card to £2k by April 2012 (was £3014.94)
    PADing to clear CC 1/1/12 TOTAL: £32.00
    Ditch 100 in January challenge: lost count but way over 100!!!/100
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    An inadvertant declutter here. DS needed to take scraps of fabric to school for craft so I sent him in with my fabric scraps tin. This has been emptied and it got squashed so now I have no fabric scraps and no scrap tin. Oh well!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    katep23 wrote: »
    Right now I need to declutter the cat off my lap but she's keeping me warm so might leave it a little while yet.

I could declutter the house of cats! And cat trees. And cat beds. And cat toys. If you get the picture....:D (That would prob get my target of 100!).
    But I love 'em to bits, so I shan't!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport