PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I managed to spring clean most of the kitchen and will finish off the last bits on the weekend, cleared out a few things, but need to create a bit more space to fit tupperware boxes in somewhere. Working tomorrow so happy decluttering everyone.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Few items gone though freecyle and I have another trip to the dump planned for tomorrow :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • gsdloopy
    gsdloopy Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    A bit late finding this thread but this year is a decluttering year for us too. I give up with trying to get in our garage or shed etc as that is OH's domain but I'm going to try with the house. It's ridiculous. I can't even get to open the curtains in our room :o and I'm getting really fed with it. Every room is overflowing and its a very small house. To be honest it's hard to know where to start but I'm going to try to concentrate on sorting one area out completely before starting another. Even if I only clear half a shelf a month, I want to actually get rid of stuff not just relocate it!. OH just wants to get a skip and throw everything out but most of the stuff we have is good, we just have too much and its so wasteful to throw it away.

I know since being pregnant with baby number 4 it's been really hard for me to get anything done with a bad pregnancy and her being so demanding and clingy but I have got to do something and it should be easier now she's 18 months old!

So far I've got 7 items on ebay, not much but hey it's a start. Next week I'm going to see how to recycle clothes at cash for clothes as I don't seem to have much luck selling them on ebay.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi there, I've been catching up with this thread over the last couple of days. I have been on this thread for 2 years :eek: and my house is still over flowing!
    DH doesn't go back to work until 16th so he has (unusually for him) been decluttering like a man posessed. Hence the reason that we have got rid of well over 100 items in the last two days. 3 car loads of stuff gone to tip. Black wheelie bin overflowing. 2 recycling bins overflowing.
    I went out and bought a new A-Z expanding file thingy the opther night and DH and I will sort through all of our filing :( tonight as I'm off. Then we can get rid of the old buckled metal filing cabinet which we can't actually use properly as the drawers don't open.
    We tackled DD's bedroom and have cleared mounds and mounds of stuff from there.
    I have a fair amount of items which can be sold on thebay so will start listing them gradually over the coming weeks. We're off on holiday in August so any money raised will be an added bonus. It would be nice to make enough for an evening meal out of our junk :).
    I have a chair which I need to get rid of from my bedroom as DH detests it. I'll get him to bring it downstairs and then it can go to a charity shop. It's a good chair but he thinks it is too big so stuff just gets dumped on it.
    I have some projects which need to be finished off too. I'm cross with myself because I bought some acrylic templates for quilting and the 2 1/4" one has vanished which has stopped me from finishing off my quilt. I'll need to find it or make another so I can finish our quilt and then we can have it on the bed in the summer.
    Need more bed linen so will hopefully get that for my birthday in April. At least that way, I don't end up with rubbish gifts!
    See you later and look forward to (much) progress in my house :)
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't done any decluttering yet (but I can think of things that need to go!) but I have printed off the 2011 and 2012 declutter and organize calenders from mysimplerlife. I'm going to stick them up in the kitchen so my parents can declutter their bits as well (and they have a lot of bits lying around!)
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • minuettoallegretto
    Options
    Not much progress yesterday but I did manage 2 empty Quality Street tins to recycling, and 1 tube (of 100!) glowsticks used last night and binned this morning - so now on 19! Hopefully it'll show in my sig if I managed to set it up right!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick visit: free listing weekend on ebay...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I had just come to post about eBay. Does anyone know if that incs fri or is it just sat n Sunday thanks

Quick question on money magpie how much do u get for DVDs I mean just normal not say top films trying work out best way to get most money from them. I guess if ive not watched them since moved in 18m ago I'm not n can go make space
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • black_cat
    black_cat Posts: 703 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 January 2012 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Just about to go through our bedroom so I thought I'd come on here for some inspiration first! I've got a bag for the charity shop and a pile for the dump on the go:

1. game
    2. book
    3. top
    4. top
    5. cardigan
    6. broken DVD player
    7. broken seive
    8. broken saucepan

8/100 ditched

I'm not going to itemise everything but this helps me to get started!

Have a good de-cluttering day,everyone! :smiley:
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    8 OH and I finished off a 500g box of shortbread last night, (only opened it on Wednesday and ate the whole box between the 2 of us :eek:!) so packaging is now in the bin/recycling box.

Free listing on ebay this weekend, so hopefully I'll get rid of a bit more on there, fingers crossed that DS's huge TV actually goes this time, as I've sold it twice and had to cancel the transaction both times :mad:!
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport