PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    One of my freecycle stuff was picked up last night, the other two people I offered stuff to have not replied yet. I also replied to a wanted ad for someone wanting wood - but they haven't replied either :( I am rapidly going off freecycle :( We don't have a freegle in the area either :( I might try with my retro cabinets on the local info site (it's really well used up here) or I might put them in the outhouse and fill them with DIY stuff - failing that I might have to book a bulky waste collection to get them taken away. Grr.

8. Freecycle collection (one yoga mat and a set of toning bands - forgot to give the guy the handweights that went with it though because they were on the stairs)
    9. More OOD food (a sort of lemon essence from 2001 - in my defense, this wasn't my fault, I bought some when we went to Germany and OH decided as there was some in his parents kitchen full of rubbish, that they could have the new set I bought and I should use the old stuff - I was absolutely livid when I got home as at the time I'd never seen the stuff here; finally tracked it down in a Polish food shop but never got round to ditching the old stuff), rice flour vintage 2006 and vintage dessicated coconut 2005, a packet of ground linseed and gogi berry gloop which should have been in the fridge but had somehow escaped the fridge during the move and some peppermint coating chocolate where the bag had split and it had gone funny)
    10. Dejunked one craft box and threw away the craft flotsam from the bottom, consolidating two boxes.
    11. Sorted the ribbon cupboard, wound all the trims onto new spindles and filed according to colour, one box down
    12. A bag of dead batteries dropped into the battery recycling at work

It will not be as fast when OH gets back, trying to chuck stuff out when he is around is like trying to get a rocking horse to give a stool sample.

Four of my ebay items have bids, all but one has watchers :) Happy :)

have a good and clutter free day all!

cel x
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tidied up the kitchen and got another 3 items to add:

14. 2 old empty cartons I found buried at the back of a shelf - DH keeps stuff like this as it 'might come in useful some day'. Um, don't think so :p

15. old bag of bird food that wasn't nice (at the top of the shelf I have to stand on a chair to get to. Beside it was an ....

16. very old box of dates. Yuk.

Have decided I need to go through some drawers but won't be today as got a lot of other stuff to do including my Jack Russell who is sat by me willing me to fetch her lead!
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    I'm off!

1 - bottle of nail varnish used as much as I can - bin
    2 - box of fancy dress bits from musical group that were in garage - gone via freecycle

So only 2/100 but I've made a start.

Ended up in my pjs on the sofa with a duvet watching harry potter last night - very unlike me especially when I really needed to clean so hoping tonight I'll feel better.
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • hollysmum22
    Options
    so far i have done

1 - bag of toiletries found under sink in bathroom BIN
    2 - bag of out of date food items from kitchen BIN

2/100 good start
    :p princess moo born 25/11/2009 :p
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 1895 20p Savers Club 2013 # 60
    Save £5k in 2013' challenge £0/£5000 #047
    Baby Fund Challenge £0/£1.500

• Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    This is the post with tips about where things can go that Mineallmine, myself and a couple of others started putting together last year. Feel free to quote and add to it if you have any further suggestions.

It started when someone posted about throwing textiles in the bin. I'm all for decluttering but just throwing it all in the bin has a negative impact on the planet and often other people can benefit from stuff you no longer need.

"So here's an updated list for find new homes for some of our stuff:

Good clothes ....ebay, boot sale, freecycle or charity (or friends kids)
    Not so good clothes ....textile recycling (some charity shops collect for what they call the rag bag man so you could ask or banks like the oxfam clothes banks in carparks etc can go straight to be recycled.
    Coat hangers - some Tesco stores have coat hanger recycling too if you find you have too many of these.

Books - I noticed that Oxfam were promoting their Book Barn today on twitter, basically books they don't sell they recycle - how fab is that?! I normally give non fiction to our Oxfam books shop anyway so glad to hear anything that goes unsold is recycled. http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/content/books/books_bookbarn.html

Used batteries ....every shop that sells batteries should have a bin for collecting old batteries (noticed that Aldi have these near the tills)
    Odd PC bits/cables ....ebay, freecycle
    Oddments of paint/decorating stuff ....freecycle

Shredded paper ....compost bin, to a furry friend
    Unused/unwanted toiletries ....ebay, charity, homeless shelter or womens refuge, http://www.giveandmakeup.com/
    Old furniture ...ebay, charity shops that sell/have room for this stuff, garage sale, or simply left outside with a sign on - saying please take me I;m free!
    Dead low energy light bulbs - our local tip takes these, or sainsbury's collection points

Details are here: http://www.recolight.co.uk/My-Recoli...for-Consumers/ (although bank locator not totally accurate)

Ratty old towels - animal rescue centres/vet surgeries will take them, as bedding for the animals

Unwanted prescription glasses - most opticians have a recycling box to put these in - they go to Africa, I think someone on here said. Our optician doesn't keep it near the door, as people use it as a bin, so you might have to ask.

Bras - in good condition - http://www.breasttalk.co.uk/bra-appeal/ (I seem to remember someone else posting another website too)

Tetra packs - have noticed our local council have recycling banks for these at some car parks

Carrier bags/plastic packaging e.g. fruit and veg bags - many can be recycled at supermarkets - check the print on the bag (I'm actually a no to carrier bags person but if you have a stock pile do recycle them).

Feel free to add to this list everyone so we can help one another get rid of stuff responsibly.

Hope it helps someone reposting this.
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    4, 1 bag of rubbish off the book stand....shameful some of the mags where xmas 2010 oh dear, but i didn't have any xmas 11 up there, if I listed each item it would be least 30 thou

I have a bag of bits I need to find the homes off from there thou so will do that

Will work on the cuboard part 2mora as LO been sleep hour already and don't want it all out when he wakes.
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • CompletelyLost
    Options
    Does anyone have problems with throwing away old school/college work?
    I literlaly have about 30+ files of old notes that I seem to hang on to, for no apparent reason. Maybe I feel like some day I might need to refer to them... not sure...

I still have my old paintings and work from nursery. Sad, eh :/

I really need to get rid of some of them, as they take up so much space.
  • SavingJane
    Options
    I did but I throw them when I moved out of parents house, they did laugh when i left saying they had gain half the loft back as so much up there was mine lol
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I did this challenge last year I put the totals in my sig like: 43/100 meaning I decluttered 43 items out of 100. Just wondering if anyone else would be doing this? :)
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • SavingJane
    Options
    I have it all in pink lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts