Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Keeping up appearances....... - Page 193

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Keeping up appearances.......

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
3.9K replies 467.1K views

Replies

• joeyjimblesjoeyjimbles Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    [*]Go flour free. Successful so far although I flatly refuse to give up the Saturday night pizza. I'm pretty sure it's working; I think I was just overloading on bread and pasta.

[/LIST]

Now I haven't tried this but you can make pizza with cauliflower mushed up to make the base. If you put cauliflower crust into your search engine you will practically burst the internet with people telling you how delicious/easy/nutritious it is. I haven't tried it, and I probably won't as despite my calorie restrictions I'd rather have a slice or two of regular pizza in the same way as I'd rather have a llittle regular cheese than reduced-fat stuff. But it would also add to your 5 a day.

op £57.72
  • Honey_BearHoney_Bear Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Joey. I know I *should* go the totally gluten-free route but I just can't. I'd like to try to 'cauliflour rice' idea at some point and, as you say, it would be another F&V but, pizza's pizza and very, very special as I think we'll all agree. It's our Saturday night treat and I don't want to give it up.

I also don't want to be one of those precious people who don't have anything compromising their health but nonetheless squawk endlessly about what they can't eat, and make everyone run rings around them. They sound like boring self-centred, spoilt brats to me and having done a few weeks catering for a bunch of them a few years ago ,by the end of it I felt like slapping them.
    Keeping it AF
    6.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    • No computer after 9.00pm. Still being good.
    • Lights out by 11.30pm. Slightly later last night, but still pretty good.
    • Five fruit and veg a day. Dates, the last of the veg soup (which I now realise was responsible for the fartiness, not the dog after all), sultanas, sweetcorn, brocolli and OH did the shopping yesterday and hunter gathered two litres of beetroot juice. Excellent man.
    • 15 minutes flying a day, sticking to the new schedule: Monday: Dusting/dewebbing; Tuesday: Kitchen; Wednesday: Floors; Thursday: Bath/shower room; Friday: Windows/Paintwork. Still catching up, but the aim is to get all of this done by Thursday evening this week.
    • Go flour free. Sticking with it (see above post). At the end of the month I'm going to have one day of toast for breakfast, a sandwhich for lunch and pasta or couscous for the evening meal and see how that feels. I rather suspect I know, but being able to get stuff done at the moment feels like real progress.
    Keeping it AF
    6.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    And a large handful or three of Twinks (Ginger) Hobnobs on the side. That should just about replicate a pre-Suptember day.
    Keeping it AF
  • HappyNowHappyNow Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    OH did the shopping yesterday and hunter gathered two litres of beetroot juice. Excellent man.
    If Mr H gets sent hunter gathering he always catches cream buns. Then he eats half of them on the drive home. I've banned him from shopping during Suptember.
    And a large handful or three of Twinks (Ginger) Hobnobs on the side. That should just about replicate a pre-Suptember day.
    Please will you post that recipe on 1st October? I've heard so much about them, I really must have a go. Think Twinktober.
    You do realised, don't you, that if your Super-slim Strict Slimmer's Skinny Plan works you'll be able to publish a book and make millions. I can just see the headlines in the Mail: Breakthrough Smarties and Wine Diet: Scoff and Swill All Your Favourites and Still Lose Weight!
    Ooh what a good idea! Although the headline will read 'Scoff and Swill All Your Favourites, Lose Weight, But Still Retain That Layer Of Cellulite' :D
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Date extended to April 2021... (84.28% so far).

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt Jun 20: Unsecured £10,943 + Mortgage £25,094 = £36,037 (72.17% paid)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Now I haven't tried this but you can make pizza with cauliflower mushed up to make the base. I haven't tried it, and I probably won't as despite my calorie restrictions I'd rather have a slice or two of regular pizza in the same way as I'd rather have a llittle regular cheese than reduced-fat stuff. But it would also add to your 5 a day.
    Thanks Joey. I know I *should* go the totally gluten-free route but I just can't. I'd like to try to 'cauliflour rice' idea at some point and, as you say, it would be another F&V but, pizza's pizza and very, very special as I think we'll all agree. It's our Saturday night treat and I don't want to give it up.
    Well cauliflower pizza base just sounds weird! I WOULD quite like to try it, but I couldn't handle the disappointment of anticipating pizza then not loving it. And I never make my own pizza bases anyway - I always use supermarket frozen ones or our local independent takeaway. Gonna get a takeaway on 1st October :D
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Date extended to April 2021... (84.28% so far).

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Suptember progress:

Money
    I had to pay the tree surgeon yesterday. It was £580 and I had nothing saved towards it (after paying the plumber £450 last month) which means we don't have enough money to get through until 15th October for petrol, supermarket and horse food. This is the first month in ages that it's looked impossible. Well not impossible, I can do it by raiding the Christmas savings, but I had promised myself not to do that. Anyway, needs must and I am planning a very, very frugal month (apart from takeaway pizza on 1st October, but we will share one :D).
    Interest this month totals £210 because we had a 0% deal ending which needed to be rejigged.
    I need to start ordering coal again so have had to allow £170 for that.
    On the positive side, next month will see us with 40% of the unsecured debt gone.
    Myfitnesspal Going great and it's very MSE too. 16 days completed, so over half way to target, and I am finding myself less hungry each day so I think my body is adapting. Not looking or feeling any different yet, but hopefully that will start soon.

6.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    HappyNow wrote: »
    Suptember progress:

Money
    I had to pay the tree surgeon yesterday. It was £580 and I had nothing saved towards it (after paying the plumber £450 last month) which means we don't have enough money to get through until 15th October for petrol, supermarket and horse food. This is the first month in ages that it's looked impossible. Well not impossible, I can do it by raiding the Christmas savings, but I had promised myself not to do that.

*ouch* *ouch* *ouch*

Anyway, needs must and I am planning a very, very frugal month (apart from takeaway pizza on 1st October, but we will share one :D).

The only reason we don't have takeaway pizzas is that we haven't found one we like as much the Co-0p or Morribund's roasted veg ones. I've tried making the base and had more failures than successes taste-wise, but I will admit to adding extra toppings to bought ones, like anchovies (barfed yet, Happy?), pine nuts and pre-roasted extra veg.

Interest this month totals £210 because we had a 0% deal ending which needed to be rejigged.

double *ouch* *ouch* *ouch*

I need to start ordering coal again so have had to allow £170 for that.

Serious pain, so *ouch* and 'There, there, there' isn't going to cut that, is it? Drugs (in the form of wine) required to dull the pain.

On the positive side, next month will see us with 40% of the unsecured debt gone.

:j:beer::j:beer::j:beer:

Myfitnesspal Going great and it's very MSE too. 16 days completed, so over half way to target, and I am finding myself less hungry each day so I think my body is adapting. Not looking or feeling any different yet, but hopefully that will start soon.

I can't do hungry, so I don't understand how anyone can, and slightly concerning that you're on a really tight food regime that isn't actually resulting in weightloss.

HappyNow wrote: »
    If Mr H gets sent hunter gathering he always catches cream buns. Then he eats half of them on the drive home. I've banned him from shopping during Suptember.

OH and I agreed to meet under the clock in Sainsbobs very early on in our relationship when he and I lived 250 miles apart to do the shopping for our weekend together. I arrived with a trolley load of loo rolls, washing up liquid, cat food and mince, he arrived with a trolley containing a bunch of flowers, four croissants and a box of chocolates. I knew, instantly, he was the man for me.

Please will you post that recipe on 1st October? I've heard so much about them, I really must have a go. Think Twinktober.

Here's some reading matter to give you time to decide what version you're going to make. My version involves adding 250g of chopped crystalized ginger. (If I put that in blue, the link won't be so obvious.)

Ooh what a good idea! Although the headline will read 'Scoff and Swill All Your Favourites, Lose Weight, But Still Retain That Layer Of Cellulite' :D

Pillowy softness, I call it. And God help anyone who calls it anything else.
    Keeping it AF
    6.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    • No computer after 9.00pm. Not good last night and I woke up feeling carp.
    • Lights out by 11.30pm. Nor this.
    • Five fruit and veg a day. Dates, strawberries, apricots, courgette ... er ... should have opened the beetroot juice ....
    • 15 minutes flying a day, sticking to the new schedule: Monday: Dusting/dewebbing; Tuesday: Kitchen; Wednesday: Floors; Thursday: Bath/shower room; Friday: Windows/Paintwork. Spent most of the day flying and actually had enough energy to do a great deal more than I've been able to manage in one day - for years. I don't mind feeling tired today at all and the house looks ready for the new arrivals tonight. I might, just might, do a bit more today but I won't beat myself up if I don't.
    • Go flour free. In a way I'm quite sad about this being so effective because it means I have to make some big changes in my diet but immensley relieved I've finally found the energy vampire. I'm sticking with it until at least the end of the month to see if the very gradual energy level improvement continues and if it does, I'll carry on in October.
    The monthly mini-changes are making a massive overall impact on my day to day life, so I'm really pleased you came up with this idea, Happy and allowed us to tag along. Thank you!
    Keeping it AF
  • joeyjimblesjoeyjimbles Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have done the cauliflower rice thing and its ok, providing you like cauliflower which I do but frankly I'd rather have the cauli just as it is. I love it dusted with spices and baked as well.
    My boys are quite happy with the @ldi 3 for £2.70 frozen pizzas and whatever is in the fridge as toppings. They do taste quite good especially if you get your oven super-hot and have a pizza stone. I love proper thin wood-fired oven pizzas - spent many summers working as a rep in France and our regular treat was the local pizzeria. For preference I love peppers, mushrooms, onions and a soft egg, with or without anchovies or parma ham.
    MFP still going well for me. My belt is tighter by two notches from when I started and my jeans are starting to look a bit baggy. All good signs.

op £57.72