January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 77

New Post Advanced Search

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.3K views

Replies

• SueP19 wrote: »
    Gosh just caught up with posts, what a great thread this is

I spent £5 today which was not too bad, included 3 woopsie loaves some milk, pot and tin of beans. Hoping that is it for this week :D

PS Love curtain twitcher :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

lol loved the last post you should change your name to sup19akacurtaintwitcher lol
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Caroline Runner & Need2Bthrifty thank you so very much for your kind words. I am trying to swap my smoking time for boiling the kettle for a cup of peppermint tea and sitting on here catching up on threads. Wish I could put my money into one account to show how much I am saving, but unfortunately smoking is one of those things I would ALWAYS find money for, even if it meant putting a pack on the credit card near the end of the month so I am just going to enjoy closing some overdrafts and credit cards instead. I do have some patches and gum in the house so will hopefully use that until I have run out then I will go back to Dr and get another prescription if i need to.

On a GC note we had left over roast beef tonight with my home made yorkshire puddings which I had frozen in bags and they actually still tasted nice reheated. Just one upset in that I have finally used up the last of the 2KG potatoes I got in for Xmas which means I might need to go and get some more tomorrow, was hoping to have a few NSDs unless anyone can come up with something to serve with the Gammon & Leek crumble? I dont have any salad items in, just brocolli, carrots, onions, garlic and obviously leeks.

Wishing you all a good evening

E x
    What about cous cous or rice?
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Did what I was told - have I got a signature now?
    Yes! Previewed post!

see how educational this thread is? :D well done on getting your sig!

welcome to our newbies, good luck with the challenge and as Spigs said, if you have any questions please ask ;)

love the 'curtain twitcher' :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • right really need to get bum in gear off to get tidied before oh comes homes it looks like a bombs dropped seriously lol and make some muffins bread and mars bar cake will do them 1st and while there all cooking, tidy up
    ps can i just say how lovely you all are and soo helpful :)
    am loving the challenge and excited of the month ahead fingers crossed :D
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • SueP19 wrote: »
    Gosh just caught up with posts, what a great thread this is

Wow! I've only been away a couple of hours and another 2 pages :D - fantastic!

However, I will apologise now as I may well fall behind after returning to work tomorrow (but will try my hardest not to!)!!!!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • KazLAKazLA Forumite
    209 posts
    I am very inspired! :j
    We have a budget of £330 a month (2 adults, 5 yr old and 1 yr old), but have been a bit lax and have to keep topping it up recently. I have started reading this thread on a daily basis and despite not managing to catch up, I have picked up so many tips. In the last few days I have cleaned out my cupboards and fridge and have done a stock take of the contents of those and the freezers. I have been meal planning since May last year, and this has really helped, but this month, I am going to try to make meals out of what I have, even if I need to buy things to add to them (not sure how nutrious the meal from the 3 bags of marshmallows will be, but hey!) :rotfl:
    I'm not going to join officially, as I don't want the added pressure of posting totals etc, but will be reading and picking up recipes and tips. So thanks in advance to you all! :A
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    freakyogre wrote: »
    £1.49 on milk today in Coop. The last bottle of milk I got from there was before Christmas and dated 26th December (not that I take any notice) but lasted 'til this morning.......not sure what Coop are putting in their milk!!
    I'm still using a bottle I bought from Mr M dated 27th. And I bought another on Christmas Eve (not checked the date, but can't be much later) 'cos I thought I'd need it over the holiday week - but it's still unopened !!!
    Cheryl
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I please join? Have been watching from the sidelines for a few days now and am ready to jump in. Really eager to deal with my overspending but not sure what's a realistic goal for a newbie. Have hitherto operated an 'if I want it I buy it' system - but that's got me into all sorts of bother :(
    Think I'll plump for £500 for Jan, hoping that doesnt sound too greedy - it terrifies me!!

Loving Motherships Second Purse system (post 6) and have already got that up and running :)

Hi and welcome. We are a family of five as well and I was spending more than that this time last year. I am now down to £400 a month and the last couple of months have been consistantly under that and will be lowering it again soon. You are doing the right thing by not starting too low.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • edited 3 January 2012 at 9:18PM
    hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    edited 3 January 2012 at 9:18PM
    I love curtaintwitcher too

a pre-work trip to MrS this morning was productive, and I stuck to my list despite the super reduced chocolate. c£20 spent but the self service nonesense didn't give me a receipt. Half price heinz mayo and tom sauce being the highlights. Also Twinings herbal teabags on offer at £2 for 80 which is a bargain for branded ones.

Dinner was the dregs of the roast pork dressed up into egg fried rice which was rather lovely for what was essentially leftovers.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, having caught up with everyone's news I am on to report my latest spends.

£28.73 in MrT on NYE on beer and pop as we were at a friend's house. Also got some sausages, veg, fruit etc.

Went to the cinema yesterday. Decided to go to MrT first (£52.70) to get some fruit and veg, plus dinners for the week, packed lunch stuff etc. plus the sweets for the cinema(!). Got some drinks in B**ts before the show (£6 :eek:). Totted up that the cinema cost us almost £50 all told (5 of us, 2 adults, 3 kids). We hadn't really taken the kids out all holiday tho', but really.......£50 :eek::eek:

NSD today :T
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24