PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got another £59.95 to add
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I really want to make today a NSD, there is nothing that I actually NEED, but with such a good offer on the toilet rolls, I am seriously fighting the urge to stock up more. Is it more ms to stock up now and save a few £ in the long run, or keep to what I have (3 packs) and hope that there will be another offer on before we need more.....hmmmm.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • TylersMummy
    Options
    flippin36 wrote: »
    A quick question please. I know everyone is different but I wondered whether any of you guys with little ones count nappies as part of your grocery budget? The reason I ask is that I don't always buy them from the supermarket, sometimes its from Boots or Superdrug which makes my grocery budget a bit misleading. Maybe I should have a seperate pot of money for these (my son has disabilities which means it can vary how many he needs in a month - he has good weeks and not so good weeks so it makes my budgets a bit erratic.) Thoughts please. :)

I used to take it out of the same budget but I now put by £20 a month for nappies and wipes.

Hope that helps

x
    :T Mummy to 1. Devoted wife. Christmas addict! Life lover. Thrifter & Crafter. OU Student :T
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's a full week since I was last on this thread - I've not had enough hours in the day to stay on top of everything, and know I've no chance of reading everything I've missed :o

Just updated my spreadsheet with spends (in store and from stock) since last Friday morning, and was shocked to realise I've already reached £62.34 of my £108.50 budget :eek:
    So I've averaged £4.80/day against a budget of £3.50, and only have an average of £2.56/day left :eek: :eek: :eek:

Need milk tomorrow, and will be on the lookout for another joint next Friday as I'm now cooking and slicing my own meats for sandwiches (did a brisket that was £5/kg instead of £7/kg last weekend and have a pork joint that was on half price offer to do this weekend, with the two joints alone coming in at £12.92 despite being on offer!! I could really do with making freezer space and then keeping my eyes firmly peeled for Whoopsied boneless joints - need to be boneless so I can use my slicer on them - but rarely see joints in the RTC section :( ). I may also need some dried yeast, as I suspect the sachets at the back of my cupboard will be too old to get decent results from (I stopped using my bread maker as 2.5lb and 3lb loaves are too big just for me, but I now have another machine which does 1lb, 1.5lb and 2lb so I'm back to it - I bought a couple of new sachets for while I was doing intial 'tests' ;) )
    Cheryl
  • valerie57
    Options
    I can't keep up with this thread but just reading what I can is inspirational and helping keep me on track. I have updated my signature and am optimistic for the month end. It includes £55 on smoke free coal which at 10.99 for 20kg is cheaper from our local hardware store than anywhere else. I know that this isn't technically groceries but it is included in our budget.
  • Outdoorlass
    Options
    Spent £58 pound in Asda on the 10th, this included a pair of Nicky Clarke curling tongs for £10, but I also had a £5 off voucher so techincally only cost me a fiver, the same tongs are on Amazon for £35:cool:
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 £21/£399
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today has been a mad day _ I have spent £173.41 - gosh even reading it makes me feel sick. However, on the plus side - I used my supermarket to check the prices on my groceries to make sure I am not being ripped off - stuck to my list - and did a large Donald Russell order - so my fridge, freezer and cupboards are going to be full to the brim.
    I too have started the 2nd purse system and found (like somebody else posted) it strange to have cash in a little purse. I too bought some olive oil with this and also bought some ragu sauces half price - have started a little book, kept the receipts and feel strangely excited about it. Seems like I'm not the only one!!
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • majjak
    majjak Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    Only a small spend here today - £2 on some bananas and razors for DH (I'm lucky, he's happy to use the cheap ones !)

Incidentally, we have a friday market in town every week with lots of different stalls. I checked out the fruit/veg stall and then when I popped into Mr S, compared the price on a lb for lb basis. I was totally shocked ! :eek:

1lb carrots off Mr Market Man were 80p - Sainsburys were 36p per lb :eek:
    Parsnips, he was doing 2lb for £1.50 - Sainsburys were 70p per lb so not as bad as the carrots, but no better from the market.

Bananas he was selling a bunch of 3 or 4 for £1, but I got nearly 2kg for £1.34.

I thought markets were supposed to be cheaper and I'm all for helping the 'small man' but when prices are hiked up that much, I don't think they can really blame us for taking a wide berth !
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just waiting for my Riverford bill to go through on Worldpay then I can update my total, I'm on target this month though :)
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Majjak, I have the same sort of problem in our town, the market, butchers and greengrocers are so much more expensive than the SM's. If it was a few pence here and there I would do the local thing but I just can't afford to and I have to make awful desicion to shop where my money goes further.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills