~*~ Thrifty Gifty Moneysaving Thread for Christmas and all Occasions 2012 ~*~

Options

Comments

• rufusdog52
    rufusdog52 Posts: 3,972 Forumite
    Options
    Hollie - I have bought some fabrics off efabrics before. I have just ordered some more from jackies fabric as she has a sale on. When I said up the town I meant I would have a look in the charity shops and see if there is anything in there I can use, may be a duvet cover or sheet or something.

YD has just dropped the bomb shell that she doesnt want to go to college any more, wants to leave and get a job. Thing is she has supposed to have been finding a job of some sort since she left school last july and still hasnt found one. I am panicking now as my CB would stop if she leaves college and its just about the only money I have that is mine apart from what I earn on here, plus OH wont be happy as his TC's would stop for her too so his pay would go down. I cant seem to get it into her head that we cant afford to lose the money without her having a job to go to.
  • rufusdog52
    rufusdog52 Posts: 3,972 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to add, I got my £15 Am vouchers from MS this afternoon but I cant feel excited about them, I feel a bit sick in my stomach and upset about it all.
  • sparkleychel
    Options
    oh rufus what a nightmare
    is she serious or just had a bad day
    id be quite hard on her
    i would say she could only leave college when she has a job to go to
    and that you want board money every week of ££ [ whatever you would lose ]
    and also as a working adult , no more washing, ironing etc

maybe if you put her off she will stay at college
  • sparkleychel
    Options
    Emma, I love coupons, i generally hold on to the one with longer expiry dates and check tesco website before i go shopping to see whats on offer and if my coupons will give me a hefty discount with the offer in the store. I had about 30 milkshakes in my fridge in november as they had it on offer for 49p and they had a 50p off coupon for them (wasn't even 1 per customer either :) ) so i managed to get away with doing 3 separate shopping trips and got 10 for free each time. Plus the over of 1p on each milkshake it gave me all together 30p off my shopping. So they paid me to take them away! :D xx

wow where do you find them all ?
    i only ever have the wrong ones internet ones when i want to go instore , and instore ones when i want to shop online lol
  • Savvybunny2009
    Options
    Wow great weight loss Elysia, what's your secret? I put on half a stone over Christmas and it wont shift, I have been eating chocolate though ;) Think I will do a weeks detox when we move as I am fairly sure it is water weight.

Chel, it was tcb, they usually are fab. Have submitted a claim but it has been 'put on ice' until later this week as it may be taking a little longer as it was the weekend when I did it.

Feeling a bit annoyed, the details of the house they sent was a picture of the wrong house (the mind boggles) so it's a differen't one completely. Going to view it later this week but I'm thinking we will keep looking, depends on how the actual house is. If it's rubbish I will be a bit sad living up the road from the one we were told it was.

Rufus, could you say to her to apply to college anyway, that way if no job comes up (it can be tough at that age) then she has a fallback whilst she looks. If she finds a job whilst at college she can leave but that's the thing, if no job comes up then she would have thrown a chance to get an upper hand at job hunting down the pan. Another method, which I wouldn't recommend, is telling her that unless she goes to college you can't afford to keep her and she will have to rent her own property (which may be an issue without a job).

My head is banging now, had to chase up several refunds due (sorted) and trying to sort out missing wins for quite substantial amounts (in the process) and finish off some paperwork. ust want a long soak in the bath and to forget all the troubles of life. Can't relax not knowing if the whole house has to be packed up in a week or not :(
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't manage to list anything yesterday on ebay as have a poorly little girl - it looks like her reflux has struck and she's eaten something that does not agree with her. She's poorly every half an hour - hopefully will settle down soon and she can go back to school as I've only just gone back to work myself so would not look good if I took time off this week.

Anyway a quicky question. Has anyone who joined Paddy Power Bingo had their cashback registered on TopCashBack?
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • xrestrictedx
    Options
    wow 9th jan and i've only just this min caught up with you all, i've been reading since the begining of the year lol got to go over to santas challenge and start reading that one now from page one, see you in june!! lol

first of all, thankyou elysia, i have missed you all so very much too.

nicky - congratulations, cant wait to hear about oliver. well done babe, you did it! all on your own, lots of love and hugs xx

quick catch up -

last time i was on was june, started the year so well but events happened which ment i couldnt carry on,
    *my lappy broke (and still is), using my son's now.
    *my sister was in hospital at the time, she was diagnosed with MS.
    *my car broke down on the way back from the hosital and we couldnt get it fixed.
    *MIL had breast cancer, recovered.
    *OH ex wife has limphnode cancer, not a good outlook, it's terminal.
    *grandaughter has wilms tumor, (cancer of the kidney) undergoing treatment, going well so far.
    *bought a cheap car to go see grandaughter in hospital but the engine is too big and costs too much to run, so its off the road.
    *i have clinical depression, on meds and trying to fight my way thro it, not so many good days, sleep most of the time.
    *OH is unemployed and cant get a job, bless him he does try, sends off loads of aplications, and his cv to loads of companys.
    *debt is rising so much cos we only have enough to 'live' on, (food, gas, elec, tv and internet) not much to pay the debts off with.

well this was supposed to be a 'quick' catch up lol instead its ended up as my life story lol.

hello to all the old gang and welcome all the newbies. hope to get to know you all soon. just sorting out all the survey sites, as they were all in my favs on my lappy but cant remember all of them, still get some thro email tho so thats a start.

take good care
    Milla xxx
    MEMBER OF
    ~*~ Thrifty Gifty Moneysaving Thread for Christmas and all Occasions 2012 ~*~
    ;) Busy doing nothing, working the whole day through, trying to find lots of things not to do :p
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    emmad5689 wrote: »
    Hi all, can't do the sun holidays as you have to be flexible and we have to work our holidays around my parents, have just found a haven holiday in Blackpool for 4 nights for £206 so not too far out of reach, plenty on site for the kids to do only issue being you have to take your own bed linen which will be a pin as it will take a lot of room in the car. There are lots of places (sea life centre, pleasure beach, circus and zoo) in the general area that I can use Tesco vouchers to get tickets so once the initial holiday is paid for some days out would be sorted and I could probably pay my mam for her tesco vouchers to be able to get more.

My plan now is to try and use this to convince OH that we have to be extremely careful with money to be able to afford this and hopefully he can stop wasting money. I listed some things on ebay last night and I have more to go on tonight anything from this will go to holiday fund since it is the girls stuff. Actually quite excited now!!

Just thinking about the linen, have ou thought of ringing the site direct and seeing if you can do the linen hire from them.

We did blackpool 2 years on the run at the Haven site, and loved it, we managed to get some deals before we went.

We booked for the tower in advance, and paid £40 for the four of us, for the Sea life centre, keep an eye out in the papers as they do buy one get one free, when we went we picked up free child ticket from Mcdonalds and there was cafe's that had the leaflet for free child entry.
    The one thing we found aim to be at selife centre by 10am/10.30am as the later you leave it in the day it gets chocker, and the queues were awful.

The zoo is brilliant, theres a lot to do onsite and nearby. I Think were going to go back next year, as its devon this summer hols.

We travelled into blackpool on the bus, theres a bus stop at the top of the site, its an old double decker, that dropped off outside the tower, or further down by the pleasure beach, and return picked up just around the corner from the tower.

Food - we found a lovely cafe down past the mcdonalds, towards the last pier, can't remember whats its called for the life of me, but it has Lavina - palm reader in the front of the cafe. Brilliant value, and the food was all freshly cooked. xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

The Halifax have actually paid the 1st compensation payment!
    :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • sparkleychel
    Options
    thats so funny mum2one
    i was just going to ask you did the halifax pay up !

so do they still owe you after this ?

goodness me restricted what a year you had !
    i really hope this year is better for you all x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport