IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC - ANYONE who gets a 'ticket' - please read

Options

Comments

• rachie_cakes
    Options
    Ignore my previous post, I've found my answer, ignore ignore ignore! thanks everyone! :-) x
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2012 at 3:05AM
    Options
    BR was very heavily subsidised, and has always been subsidised right from the time of nationalisation in the 1940s.

Yes but not as much as you think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CCCKoo42pM

Jump to 2:50 secs. 10% of Network SouthEasts income was a government subsidy - just 10%. That means the other 90% came from ticket sales. I think you'll find that the subsidies have increased now. Also remember that Network SouthEast covered a larger area than the small operators we have now cover (If you watch the video from the beginning they show a map of NSEs coverage). To me, 10% of such a large organisation wasn't actually a bad deal.

Also watch the next bit where the chairman of BR himself says he doesn't want to run it as a subsidised service. I don't think it becomes much clearer than that and I don't think you can argue against the former BR chairman or the official figures shown in that program.
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    Not only was BR heavily subsidised as per the above post but Dr Beeching was brought in to cut costs and ended up closing many thousands of (mostly rural) lines and stations in an attempt to do so. More people travel on the railways than did before privatisation.

As above and yes I'm aware of the Beeching cuts however the conservative government of the time had strong links with the road building associations who wanted to see the railways vanish. The financial audit that Dr Beeching carried out targetted the worst two weeks of the railways financial year in order to condemn the lines that Dr Beeching put forward for closure.

The conservatives had it in for BR over many years. They couldn't scrap them overnight so they had to gradually stitch them up to get shot of them. What you probably didn't know is that once BR stopped operating trains, they never went out of existence. Today they are still in business known as British Railways Board Residuary Ltd and now the tories are back they will finally cease to exist as of 2013 when the government is closing them down for good. Why have they continued to exist? - They have until now been handling the non operational parts of the railways that Dr Beeching closed down many years ago. The parts that BR held onto in the hope that they might one day be able to reopen. They also were the administrators of pensions, industrial injury claims etc. They've now sold most of the non operating railway land but even now they BR STILL maintain all of the old railway bridges that you probably drive over frequently without thinking about along with the old disused tunnels.
  • thetriggerhappypwner
    Options
    Clamping has been banned in the UK, thus makes clamping a criminal offence.

To get around that, the goons record your vehicle registration number, then apply to DVLA for the keeper details, then they send you an "invoice" and if you ignore it, like in my post about Town & City Parking, based in Perth, Perthshire, (Note: when their scam letter arrived, I actually thought it was from Australia!!) they begin a chain of letters which threaten you with court and damaging your credit rating, something they legally cannot do.

I am no Lawyer, but I know my rights, and I intend on upholding them.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Clamping has been banned in the UK, thus makes clamping a criminal offence.

No it hasn't, so please don't make statements that it has! Clamping is due to be outlawed on private land in England and Wales, Scotland has already this ban, Northern Ireland I believe is not included, so don't say the UK please.
    To get around that, the goons record your vehicle registration number, then apply to DVLA for the keeper details, then they send you an "invoice" and if you ignore it, like in my post about Town & City Parking, based in Perth, Perthshire, (Note: when their scam letter arrived, I actually thought it was from Australia!!) they begin a chain of letters which threaten you with court and damaging your credit rating, something they legally cannot do.

I am no Lawyer, but I know my rights, and I intend on upholding them.

And we know what to do with demands from Private Parking Companies (PPCs) and that currently stands as to ignore completely unless court papers arrive. And in that case come back here for further advice.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It hasn't been banned (yet). You will have to wait for the freedom's Bill to come into force hopefully later this year for the ban to come into place.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • thetriggerhappypwner
    Options
    I got it mixed up with the UK, I was certain it was banned somewhere, but wasn't sure if it was a specific part of the UK or the entire country.

@ taffy056, there is no need to get aggressive because I made a simple mistake.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options

@ taffy056, there is no need to get aggressive because I made a simple mistake.

Aggressive ? Can you point me to where I have become aggressive? I politely asked you not to say clamping was banned in the UK when in fact its not, if you can't take being corrected when wrong, I feel sorry for you, guess your username is apt.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You did make a misleading statement that clamping had been banned, and you should check your facts before stating something so definite. Taffy thanks for the clarification - I didn't think your post agressive.
  • ThatBloke01
    Options
    can someone give me some advise on this subject that has a slightly different circumstance.
    I have an elderly Uncle who has all his marbles etc who has a problem with these !!!!!!!s.
    Recently he parked in a retail park to purchase windscreen wipers in Halfords. On getting out of the car he clocked one of these "little Hitlers" parading around the area. he asked "How long he had to park there". the reply from the !!!!-bag was "three hours".
    Now before going into halfords, my Uncle diverted into john lewis across the road for something. Not long after he headed towards Halfords and made his purchase.
    On returning to the car he spotted a "ticket" on the windscreen stating time the car was noticed (12:44) and time left (12:44) ..left meaning "Left the site"...yes my uncle is getting stung for leaving the site !
    Later by phone my Uncle queried this with UKPC who had some bint telling him they will look into the matter. A few days later he recieves a letter asking "If he could prove his visit to Halfords with a receipt they will look into it further" !!!!!! who keeps receipts for a windscreen wiper ???
    Ive told him not to pay it after reading this thread and sadly or more annoyinglyas i write this hes told me he's gone and wrote the cheque out. he doesnt wants to risk it or as he puts it "some bruised nosed thug" knocking at his door !
    Im so F***** angry about this. this Scumbag did not stipulate that you are not allowed to leave the site and you arent going to automatically think thiis because there are several retail parks and Malls next to each other.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Ignore them, and tell your uncle to ignore Halfords.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure