Real Life MMD: Should I still get him a secret Santa present?

Options

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I can see where your coming from, maybe he was trying to be the big "I am" infront of colleagues, as for regifting in all honestly its what a lot of us do now adays.
    As the old saying goes, one persons poision is anothers persons meat.

If your not really bothered about what your going to buy him, Peacocks have reduced their xmas range to half price, you could get him a blow up girlfriend for £4, booby mug, £2 or £3, and the worst pair of underpants with hole in the back for quick release when he pollutes the air.

Or you could look around and you'd pick up a lovely present for under £5.
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • purple.sarah
    Options
    Petaldust wrote: »
    Personally I'm just horrified by all the people saying "well you can't get anything nice for £5 anyway". £5 was the limit for our secret Santa and for that I bought a lovely tealight holder and candle from an independent shop in Edinburgh, plus another tealight in the shape of a butterfly from a xmas market, for a colleague who loves candles and butterflies.

Me too! £5 each was my limit for a lot of my friends and I got them nice things, a scented candle set, a lipgloss set, a computer game in the play.com sale, books, a Betty Boop pendant and poster for a friend who's a fan. It was fun! You can find nice presents for £5 it just takes a bit of creativity.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Are you in the workplace or the playground ? As you have chosen to get involved in this nonsensical scheme I would just fulfil your part in it and ignore any byplay.
  • Marco12452
    Options
    What you spend will say more about your integrity, not his. Spend the amount you are supposed to, he will get his integrity questioned when he is shown up for the tight !!! he is. It's only a fiver.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RichardGB wrote: »
    I'd spend a little time buying the best present I possibly could for £5.00. That would give me pleasure. Then, when he opens it, with luck he'll really enjoy it. Perhaps, then, next year he'll really enter into the spirit of the Secret Santa idea and get someone else as good a present as you got him. Now, wouldn't that be a far better outcome for everyone concerned? This is your chance to perhaps bring a real change of heart to this person. You might not love him, but you don't hate him and now you have the chance to turn him into a better person. And for only £5!

Wow - now that's a thought. Could you really get a secret santa that changed a person for the better???

What a great concept - now what could you buy if you raised the bar to £10 - World Peace???

(Not that he's probably that bad to begin with, just possibly a little bah humbug on the secret santa thing!)
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • Emperor_Nero
    Options
    Buy a decent present for him and don't tell your friend (She can just say how crap it is when she opens it LOL). It's Christmas so it's a time to be kind to each other, whether or not the guy is a peen.

If I was doing a Secret Santa, I'd buy the book: 'How to Poo at work', Amazon have it at £5. Perfect ;)
  • bluebird
    Options
    Buy the gift Yes, now think hard what to give... a packet of tampons? A thong?,boot polish, what about fresh breath spray? or some coal thats what santa gives naughty little boys.
  • Barryfan
    Options
    If you sign up to take part then you have to accept who you get! Just buy him the £5 gift and be a bigger person than he is. I have to agre that the whole thing does seem a little childish - surely you have more important things to worry about?
  • katyboo123
    Options
    at the end of the day when you join secret santa it's an unwritten rule that you have to take part, if you drop out, whoever is buying you will have to drop out and so on. you don't want people thinking bad of you for not joining in - after all some of your colleagues are friends. if i were you i would buy him this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VOCPHI/ref=asc_df_B003VOCPHI5781847?smid=A3RVZUFJTO5MR1&!!!!!googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B003VOCPHI

then when your friend opens her awful present give her a hug and take her for a little coffee break, or invite her for lunch or tea over Christmas. don't let the b******* grind you down - because there will ALWAYS be b******* X
  • BobbinAlong
    Options
    Just buy as if you hadn't heard the conversation.

For those who don't understand secret santa (as there seems to be a few): everyone's names go into a hat (or box or whatever) and each person draws one without showing anyone else and buys for that person. Only the giver knows who bought the gift and the original drawn "ticket" is stuck on as the gift tag so even handwriting can't be recognised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure