Real Life MMD: Should I still get him a secret Santa present?

Options

Comments

• tammytroot
    Options
    Of course buy him a prezzie don't get wound up but do the winding up, I sugest buying him a second hand Bible of the new testiment and you never know he may read it and turn out to be a Gentilman, any change left over give to a charity, Tammytroot.
  • Mardymadam
    Options
    I agree with the lady who advised to buy a gift for a family abroad in his name, alternatively a charity calendar or other charity gift - that way you are also helping someone in need.
  • Pembroke
    Pembroke Posts: 841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A little off topic - Strange way of doing secret Santa if you ask me. Surely the whole point of it being 'secret' is that you don't know who the present is from or who you are buying for. If your company just announced secret Santa presents to be bought by the Christmas party, with some sort of random draw on the day for the presents, then only the person buying the gift will be able to bask in the glow of a job well done when someone opens the present. The only pre-selection that may need to be done is boy or girl presents.
  • JamJar
    JamJar Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Get him a present .. whatever you think is appropriate.

I've suffered the ups and downs of Secret Santa's over the years. Last year I got some cupcake baking cases!?! This year I got a Mr Grumpy mug! Which I'm delighted with :)

Next year why not suggest a different approach - we call this a Kentucky Raffle, but I'm not sure what it's official name is.

1. Everyone buys a present for around £5.00.

2. They are secretly deposited in Santa's sack.

3. First participant drawn out of a hat. Selects and unwraps a present of their choice.

4. Next person does the same but can then choose to swap theirs with any of the previously drawn presents. And so on....

5. The winner is obviously the last person drawn out of the hat as they have the choice of all the previously drawn presents or the one they picked (was left with).

Just an idea for an alternative.

Merry Crimbo.

JJ
  • Lougelly
    Options
    Yes, Give him a Charity gift, he will look like a jerk if he complains about it.

Lou.
  • rags309
    Options
    Buy him something you think he'll like, otherwise you are as mean as he is.
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would buy "him" a gift for a family abroad through Oxfam or another charity :T helps others and he gets nothing :rotfl:

Fantastic idea, that's the best way to deal with this.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Tell your friend, she deserves to know what he's planning.

Get him something from the pound shop or a charity shop - that looks new!
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    JoannaS wrote: »
    Well the bottom of the barrel really has been scraped this week! This seems very childish to me! It's quite simple really, don't take part if you're not prepared to play the game properly! Regardless of your feelings, he is who you picked!

Whatever you "overheard" is none of your business and you shouldn't get your wooden spoon out and start stirring things that have nothing to do with you! Why would you want to upset your colleague anyway?!

Find your Chritmas spirit, be kind and buy him something for a fiver. How he chooses to treat your colleague is up to him but it should have no bearing on your behaviour or decision!

Merry Christmas! :xmastree:
    Well said, Joanna! All this kerfuffle is childish in the extreme. May I suggest that the simplest way to combine charity with spending no more than a fiver is to go to the nearest charity shop. It is surprising what you can find there! I'm glad I don't work in this establishment, the occupants seem to be singularly lacking in Christmas spirit.
  • brightonman123
    Options
    or 'donate' yourself some nice chocs, and give him a thank you note..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure