NCD Proof - Print out of pdf not acceptable

Options
I was with Tesco for my car insurance last year. They are in the 21st century and all correspondance was by email including policy documents.

This year, I moved to Direct Line because they were thruppence h'apenny cheaper and they asked me to send them proof of my NCD. I printed out the renewal letter with the NCD proof and mailed it to them.

They have just written (by post) to say it's not acceptable. When I called, I was told that they would not accept a "photocopy". I said it was an original laser print of the pdf letter sent by email from Tesco and they said "It's still not acceptable. As this is a legally binding document, we require an original"

I had to call Tesco and ask them to generate a letter for me.

Funny, I thought policy documents were legally binding and Tesco only ever sent me a pdf by email of those too.

Is this normal (to be asked to send originals)?

Would they have twigged if I had used a colour laser printer? We do have one at work.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    laser printer would be fine
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    laser printer would be fine

You'd think, wouldn't you? I asked that and was given short shrift.

Too dumb (of her) to realise you can't edit a pdf. I didn't really like the implication that I was lying.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    You'd think, wouldn't you? I asked that and was given short shrift.

Too dumb (of her) to realise you can't edit a pdf. I didn't really like the implication that I was lying.

The problem is that there's loads of software out there that will let you edit a PDF, so they have no way of knowing you haven't used some.

However, this is an issue that all industries that require documentary proof are going to have to address, if they insist on us going paperless to save them money then they have to come up with a way in which we can give them the proof that they need.
  • pimento
    Options
    Just an update. I still haven't managed to sort this out. Four calls to Tesco INsurance and they still haven't managed to get a paper letter out to me. I did receive another email version though... *sigh*

I have until Friday next week (according to Direct Line, who are still being spectacularly unhelpful) until I run out of time and either my premium goes up or they cancel my insurance.

It's a ridiculous situation.

Anyone have any advice for me?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you know anyone with a laser printer? The better the quality of the print, the less likely it will be rejected.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • pimento
    Options
    I printed it out originally on a laser printer (black and white). A good quality one, too (at work).

Thing is, even if I print it on the colour laser at work I'll be lying to them if I send it purporting it to be from Tesco, won't I? Wouldn't that give them a reason to void my insurance in case of a claim?

I'm too honest. :(
  • FOX_HOUND
    FOX_HOUND Posts: 2,480 Forumite
    Options
    I remember sending an original renewal for proof to Churchill.

Mysteriously no trace of it could be found.

I ended up cancelling and had to pay an admin fee.
    As surely as night follows day capitalism will come crumbling down. On a mission to secure a just and ethical society.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2011 at 6:04PM
    Options
    They can keep commonly searchable records of fraud and even applications for insurance, but the neglect to keep one of NCD, the reason is simple, they can screw more money out of us.
    it is about time these insurance crooks were reeled in, first thing to be abolished should be the financial ombudsman or whatever they call, themselves, they are either completely asleep at the wheel or in the pockets.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pimento
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    ... but the neglect to keep one of NCD, the reason is simple, they can screw more money out of us.

I'm starting to think this is indeed, the case.

I will have to cancel and go back to Tesco. I can't afford whatever the increase in premium will be from nine years NCD to nothing.
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    Can't you forward the email on to them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business