PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheapest meal

Options

Comments

• leeegglestone
    Options
    Wow as of this week Ive decided to try and start to Menu Plan & at the same time work out how much my Meals are costing to see what my Monthly Food Bill is. Havent been keep track recently

Today for Tea I had

1 Large Sliced Potato - boiled & paprikka sprinkled over.
    Brocolli
    Cauliflower
    1 Carrot Chopped up
    3 Sausages

I worked out how much each Item cost based on the overall Price divided by however many were in the Bags and this Meal cost me 31p

All of the Ingredients came from Lidl.

Thats very impressive & best of all it was quite Healthy. :j
    Good eh?

I should add, this was for one person, I live by myself

Edit : My Lunch all Week,Tea all week apart from Monday & breakfast all week - just Toast & Jam -2slices a day.

Total cost £7.30
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    I just remembered a nice cheap meal - Penne with courgette. This is quick, simple and punches above its ingredients list.

Ingredients
    ========

1 Onion
    1 Courgette
    Penne
    Olive Oil
    Pepper (optional)
    Cheese (optional)

Down to it
    ========

Just cook an onion in a generous quantity of olive oil (you need a little more than usual to keep the pasta moist once its cooked) for 5 minutes, add some sliced courgette and a little sprinkling of salt and cook for a 4 or 5 minutes more until the courgettes have softend. Combine with cooked penne (or whatever pasta you have), mix it around to get a coating of olive oil over the pasta, and voila!

A sprinkle of pepper would be nice with it, and a bit of cheese if you have some. If you used the value pasta I bet you could make this for less than 20p per portion. Not sure about it being nutritionally balanced, but it is cheap, tasty and very thrifty!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • LearningToSave.
    Options
    have a real tight month this month so will be trying lots of suggestions....keep them coming.
  • sticher
    sticher Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't read all the recipes so hope I don't repeat anything (was just over on the feed family for £29.99 thread and thought I would add my recipes).

Tonight we had my version of 'marrow bake'. I chopped up a marrow (cost about £1), and added it to a pan with a spoonfull of olive oil. I then found I didn't have any onions, so raided the fridge and found a small bit of celery and some old white wine, which I added. I then added some chopped garlic, mixed herbs and a tin of chopped value tomatoes. Cooked that until marrow was soft and mixed with some cooked pasta twists, topped with some value grated cheese and cooked in the oven until golden. Definitely enough to feed at least 3 - 4 healthy appetites and was delish. Another tin of tomatoes would make it go further without adding much cost.

I served this with some crusty bread.

Another very cheap dinner is bacon pudding. Make up a suet (I use vegetable suet) pastry mix and add 3 - 4 chopped rashers of bacon and some chopped onion. Put all in a pudding basin and pressure cook or steam. When ready serve with boiled/mashed potatoes, carrots, cabbage and parsley sauce. Or with baked beans, mash and peas. Again serves 4.

Another using suet pasty is to roll the pasty out and sprinkle bacon, baked beans or whatever you fancy on top and roll up and bake in the oven.

Something else I do to make myself a fast, cheap meal is to cook some pasta, add a couple of spoons of a pesto type sauce and have with some salad and sometimes with some cheese/fish/cooked meat, etc.

Hope someone finds these as tasty as I do, lol.
  • ticklepenny_2
    ticklepenny_2 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

Just wondered how you cook corn beef hash? I have had it once as a mates mum cooked it and loved it but I dont have a clue how to cook it.

Help?

Thank you

tickle*
    DS1 arrived 22/02/11! 8lb3oz
    DD1 arrived 20/05/09 10lb3oz
    *Post Baby Weight loss start 23st5lb [STRIKE]now 19st 13lbs[/STRIKE] Post pregnancy weight #2 22st3lbs now 20st12*
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    Hello,

Just wondered how you cook corn beef hash? I have had it once as a mates mum cooked it and loved it but I dont have a clue how to cook it.

Help?

Thank you

tickle*
    I've just made this for tonight's tea. There are a few ways to make it but I use mashed potato. I fry a chopped onion in a little oil until just starting to brown and then turn off the heat and add a whole tin of corned beef, chopped up, and about 3tbs of tomato ketchup. I then boil about 3lbs (pre peeling weight) potatoes and mash them with salt and pepper and stir this into the corned beef mixture. I put it in a large casserole or baking dish and bake in the oven until the top is all brown and crunchy. It makes LOADS and is relatively cheap to make too. We have it with baked beans and the above quanitites serve about 5 - 6 people.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My version is boiled pots & onions
    mash and mix with the corned beef,season
    place in an oven dish and sprinkle with grated cheese

some variations are with chopped / sliced pots and in a sort of gravy i think ??
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hate cheap sausages, value mince/beans anything like that.
    I normally buy the low fat/sugar version of everything.
    For chicken I buy happy chicken now & for roasts I buy taste the difference & for mince or meat I buy be good to yourself.

BUT I'm loving these meals these are old fashioned comfort meals.

I'm going to start copying & pasting these and I will swap for low fat & prganic versions of everything.

THANK YOU
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    I have a few cheapest meal recipes on my blog. They are cheap but the family love them.

I do a lot of pizzas as well as its pennies to make the bases and then the kids like toppings such as peppers, sweetcorn etc so a whole pizza costs under a quid!

I also make a really filling and tasty pasta bake that works out at about 30p per head. I took photos and put them on the blog too so you can see the finished article :-)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a change from pizza you can do calzone, with a sauce made from a tin of value tomatoes and some herbs, saves money as you need much less to fill a calzone than you do to top a pizza;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income