PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest meal

Options

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm starting this thread in the hope that people will come forth with the cheapest meal they can think of. I want suggestions on meals that are cheap and nutritious - so no suggesting that a bag of crisps is a meal. I'll start off with what my wife made for tea yesterday:

Corned Beef Ash:

2 Cans of corned beef £1 (50px2)
    2 Cans of beans 26p (13px2)
    3 potatotes 20p approx.

Plus a couple of pence for the gas in the cooker and we had a full family meal for less than £1.50.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

WOW! look how prices have gone up since this thread was started!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • jenster
    jenster Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    was gonna say exacly the same thing even potaoes and eggs were cheep and filling not anymore

but keep the recipes coming
  • shushca
    Options
    This thread is just fantastic!!!! I agree though, prices have gone up way too much recently and it's only in the past few weeks I've actually started to pay attention to it :(

Does anyone have any more rice recipes? My favourite low price and eating on my own meal is rice with some fried onion and mixed frozen veg and gravy :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shushca wrote: »
    Does anyone have any more rice recipes? My favourite low price and eating on my own meal is rice with some fried onion and mixed frozen veg and gravy :)

Hi shushca,

Welcome to MSE and in particular to the Old Style board :hello:

These earlier threads may give you some ideas for rice recipes:

Anyone got any rice recipes?

Recipes for using left over rice, please

Pink
  • shushca
    Options
    Thank you Pink Winged... That'll teach me to get to grips with a site before posting :embarasse

Your assistance is much apprecaited by a newbie!!
  • ZLS1984
    ZLS1984 Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Options
    Hi me and my 5 year old girl have just made a really tasty meal. We call it, cheese and ham potatoe bake lol. Sorry if this is on here already but wanted to share this nice dish with you.

You need some spuds depending on how many you need to feed depends on how many you will need. I think I used about 8 ish and that has fed 3, you need to thin slice the potatoes.

You will need 4oz grated cheese, I used Smart Price grated pizza cheese £1.95 for a huge bag.

150ml Double cream and 1 egg

Onion (if to your taste)

Ham, I used cook gammon from Netto £2.69 but you get loads and it is tasty.

Keep the slice potatoe in water until needed, if using the onions you will need to fry lightly to make them soft. Then lightly oil the dish you are using to stop anything sticking. Then layer of potatoe, layer of cheese ham and onion, keep going until you have the following, potatoe, cheese mix, potatoe.

The take the cream and the egg and beat togher, pour this on top and add more cheese. I also put extra ham on the last potatoe layer for extra taste.

It should take about 1 and a half hours but keep checking on it and cover with tin foil if the cheese goes too brown. The potatoes are cooked when a knife goes through them.
    :wave: Wins in 09 = A vodka cocktail kit thing lol, £150 Amazon voucher.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mmmm..yum

I do something very similar that I got off a French recipe site -only differences were smoked salmon instead of ham, creme fraiche instead of cream and grated gruyere instead of pizza cheese. Lush.

Why not try it with smoked mackerel instead of ham? or bacon, or leftover turkey....

:T
  • ZLS1984
    ZLS1984 Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Options
    I might try it with the creme fraiche as was not too sure with the cream and egg.

I am going to try it with different things although my little girl has said she does not like it. I think in the recipe book it says just normal grated cheese but I used the pizza cheese as it is really mild and my dd loves it.

I found it in an old childrens cook book that I got for my dd.
    :wave: Wins in 09 = A vodka cocktail kit thing lol, £150 Amazon voucher.
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds yummy, wonder if it's low cal.;)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'll add this to the cheapest meal thread ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family