Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!

Options

Comments

• Peartree
    Options
    I'm going to be cynical and put money on both kits having been put together in exactly the same food factory, to the same recipe, and stuck in different bags like so many of these products!
  • morsep
    morsep Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    In Mr T's Haverfordwest this morning, the christmas cake mix was down to £3 a bag from £5. Loads on the shelves.
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    morsep wrote: »
    In Mr T's Haverfordwest this morning, the christmas cake mix was down to £3 a bag from £5. Loads on the shelves.

ooooh interesting, shall keep my eyes peeled.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    ooh will key an eye out if they are down to 3.00 as Haverford not too far from us.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    I gave 6 cupcakes to a friend yesterday as a little pick me up for her, and she has just ordered 24 for christmas eve. Which has just made me a nice little profit. As she will be paying £1 a cupcake and the kits only cost me £1.50.

They are gorgeous but my local doesn't stock the cupcakes only the christmas cake. Otherwise I would by more cupcake kits.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • pearsoneys
    pearsoneys Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    mrs_lds wrote: »
    So wich is better sainsburys or Mary's?

I did the sainsburys one last week.
    This.morning I've gone to cut it up to .make into small presents.....I tested it - its horrid. Far to much fruit. So now about to make shortbread as giving them out at lunchtime ! I wouldn't feed it to a dog !!
    How's the Tesco one ??

I Do have my own recipe which I make as proper presents in October but I thought it was a bargain extra one for work. Turns out it was a waste
  • on-the-count-of-three
    Options
    pollsdolls wrote: »
    I made the cupcakes today but found the buttercream icing incredibly sweet. I have scraped it all off again, is it just me :think: or did anyone else find it way too sweet?

The cupcake itself was lovely. I am sending 8 of them up to my Grandchildren and have kept 4 for home (well only 3 now)

I made a second batch this weekend, & like you found the icing sweet & the brandy too strong, so didn't bother with it at all this time around....only to find the 'kids' complained...so back into the kitchen to make more icing.:rotfl: (I only used half the brandy the second time though. ;))

For those who are saying they can't find the mixes, have you tried looking right on the top of the shelves? There are no cupcake mixes in my store on the actual cake mix shelves...but there must be hundreds right at the top....those & the cake mix run down the length of both the sides of the aisle in my store.
  • mymerrywidow
    Options
    i was intending to put my oven on at 6am when i woke up. but woke up at 3am. so turned the oven on then. didnt sleep much after that as the smell was wafting up the stairs. bl00dy lovely cake though.
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
  • on-the-count-of-three
    Options
    pearsoneys wrote: »
    I did the sainsburys one last week.
    This.morning I've gone to cut it up to .make into small presents.....I tested it - its horrid. Far to much fruit. So now about to make shortbread as giving them out at lunchtime ! I wouldn't feed it to a dog !!
    How's the Tesco one ??

I Do have my own recipe which I make as proper presents in October but I thought it was a bargain extra one for work. Turns out it was a waste

The Tesco one is fine. I made a 'tester' a couple of weeks ago & must admit I was a little disappointed when I tried it after all the hype. Nothing wrong with it, I just felt my own in the past were better....Something 'Je ne sais quoi' missing. Also, a little lighter in colour than my usual..I think that's down to less black treacle. HOWEVER, it has now been in it's tin for a couple of weeks...dwindling in size of course...& smells & tastes so much better than the day it came out of the oven. Perhaps all that was missing was just a little maturity.:)
  • sandcrawler
    Options
    morsep wrote: »

Same in Helston so probably nationwide ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure