Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!

Options

Comments

• katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2011 at 3:01PM
    Options
    I finally caved and bought a christmas cake mix at £5 and got the president unsalted butter for £1.17 on price drop plus six free range eggs for 89p, but managed to get the chap to take two £3 coupons so cost me next to nothing. Result. Baking tomorrow!

It is in the oven now! Exciting!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • pollsdolls
    pollsdolls Posts: 2,960 Forumite
    Options
    I made the cupcakes today but found the buttercream icing incredibly sweet. I have scraped it all off again, is it just me :think: or did anyone else find it way too sweet?

The cupcake itself was lovely. I am sending 8 of them up to my Grandchildren and have kept 4 for home (well only 3 now)
    ~ What goes around comes around ~
  • Mazcabs
    Mazcabs Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cant seem to find the cupcakes in my local Tesco's. Has anyone seen them in Romford or Lakeside at all please?
    Mum to 2 lovely boys who keep me busy.
  • peaceandfreedom
    Options
    Pacha wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how deep a 20cm tin needs to be for one of these, i only one 1 deepish tin but not sure if its deep enough ?

The recipe booklet says at least 7cm. If the mixture fits in the tin nicely then that will be fine because they don't rise much.

I was a bit worried about how little mine rose but then I compared it to the picture on the front of the pack and it is pretty much the same. Smells divine ...... I LOVE Christmas Cake but I've never made one before so I'm quite pleased with myself. :)
  • mymerrywidow
    Options
    i am gonna get a mix ready tonight then pop it in the oven at 6am when i wake up, cheaper eletric then. will report back tomorrow on the results.

loads left in eastbourne extra. near the bread and in the seasonal Aisle
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plenty of both in Doncaster Town Centre branch. DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my, Just made some cupcakes, I tasted the icing and whooooooooah, that brandy hits you in the face with a big slap, lol, so I added a bit more icing sugar to take the edge of it.

I bought 8 packets, thought I could put 4 in a cupcake box as teachers presents. I also bought some mini gingerbread men (12) in a box for £1 from poundland and added them to the top, to make them a bit more christmassy.

Here's a few pic:
    dads_3_of_2.jpg
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • Pacha
    Pacha Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    The recipe booklet says at least 7cm. If the mixture fits in the tin nicely then that will be fine because they don't rise much.

I was a bit worried about how little mine rose but then I compared it to the picture on the front of the pack and it is pretty much the same. Smells divine ...... I LOVE Christmas Cake but I've never made one before so I'm quite pleased with myself. :)

Thank you peaceandfreedom, my tin should be fine then, my order came yesterday so i plan to make mine tomorrow, even the chucks laid 4 eggs today , the last time i made a christmas cake, i was a spring chuck myself lol
    :wave:

• sunshinestar101
    Options
    Tried making one of these before - total disaster - think i may have to purchase another and try again.
    Proud Mummy to a new little girl - Phoebe... born 11 days overdue on 3rd Jan 2012.
  • hollypinder
    Options
    The Sainsburys finest version of this is now £2. Semms a good deal to me!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure