Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw those but they are not evidence of the fees being illegal. They are an opinion of an individual and what they think you should write in a letter.

If I set up a blog and said the sky was orange and the sea is yellow, it doesn't mean it is.

The BBC link is making an assumption that has not been proven in court. Bank's penalty charges haven't been proven to be illegal or unlawful either but you see them referred to as such. The BBC are not a reliable source anyway. In the last few days they have mixed up sub-prime and self cert and their reporting on Northern Rock was full of inaccuracies and sensationalism. They no longer want to report the news but be part of it.
    The entire series on MEAFs on the Motley Fool site makes a case for the charges being unlawful.

They make a case for them being unlawful. However, the lenders will make a case for them being lawful. As it currently stands they have not been proven to be unlawful and the actions of the regulator have probably stopped that from ever occurring.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dayjolly
    Options
    I saw the reference to this in the weekly E-Mail.
    Immediately telephoned Cheltenhan & Gloucester Helpline, (0870 0100644).
    They very politely and quickly agreed to refund the full amount that I had paid, £225, last year when I closed the Mortgage.
    Many thanks to "MoneySavingExpert".
    Excellent advice.
  • caringdad
    Options
    I have just rung Chelternham & Gloucster about my morgage fees when I moved my motgage last year. Although I did not have any details the lady looked up my deatils on my address, told me how much I had overpaid and automatically added on the interest. The outcome is £137.83 for 5 minutes work. Fantastic.
  • margarita555
    Options
    Well done caringdad! I tried ringing Abbey about our overpayment and was told they don't agree anything over the 'phone, it all has to be in writing. I wrote to them on 23rd August saying we had paid £245 in redemption fees when the original contract stated £99. They replied saying the original contract stated £50 and sent a cheque for £49 being the difference. I sent the cheque back 2 weeks ago with the original receipt from Abbey asking them to reconsider but have heard nothing yet.
  • dawnebabe
    Options
    I made a quick call to Abbey 2 weeks ago to enquire whether I was entitled to any repayment. The only details I could find from the old mortgage was the account number. They were really helpful & told me right away that I was entitled to £126!

A form arrived for me to sign & return a few days later. I've just received the cheque this morning.

:j

Thank you so much Martin!
    :heartpuls dawnebabe :heartpuls
  • fedupwiththeworry
    Options
    Phoned the Halifax number listed in the article and told that my original fee from 1993 (with the Leeds) was £40.00, I'd been charged £175.00 so a cheque for the difference of £135.00 will be with me in 7 days :beer:

Had also been charged £50.00 deeds despatch fee but the lady said that was legal and wasn't in dispute with the FSA so wouldn't be refunded :confused:

Still £135.00 for a 5 min phone call :T

Thx Martin
  • gordonw
    gordonw Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks lornaburg will try it with the nationwide
  • linden_2
    linden_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you . I got a repayment from an A & L 1999 mortgage and from an Abbey National mortgage that I terminated November 2006 . As everyone has said , it was quite easy .
    Thank you,
    Linden
  • Jollygiantswife
    Options
    Hiya,

Following on from my success at reclaiming bank charges, I decided to follow Martin's advice again and try to reclaim mortgage exit fees......

I called the Abbey up about 3 weeks ago, they then sent me a simple form to complete.

I sent the form back last week, and on Saturday I received a cheque for £130!!! :T :beer: :j

Can't believe it was so simple! Plus my mortgage with them ended in 2005!

My advice is go for it!!!!
  • brown_eyes_2
    Options
    hi, just called cheltenham and gloucester - (lloyds tsb) had no idea if i was entitled to refund or not, didnt even have details except i knew i changed companyin november 2004.
    Anyway they gave me £90.84 -£80.00 overcharge plus £10.84 interest.
    It was so easy. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport