Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AYSHA wrote: »
    I have re mortgared (Completion is today)

redemtion charges £134.00
    Early repaymenyt charge £441.16
    Deeds access charge £57
    Can they charge this

Also
    my opening balance On Jan 2007 was £51,732.94
    Interest charged £3,865.04
    Admin Charge £56.00
    I am totaly confused, as i was not tied to any penalty charges
    Can you help me out

Why did you remortage whilst still in a tie in from your existing lender?

The redemption charge is low and likely to be correct. The early repayment charge is a contractual event known about when you signed your contract so you cannot avoid that and deeds access charge is about right for you what you expect.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • albo_3
    Options
    melorac wrote: »
    Wow... Cant believe that your received a full refund. I am awaiting a reply from A&L. I used the draft letter from this site for my initial complaint. I will wait to see their response from that and maybe follow your suggestion.
    Thanks

Definitely give it a try and phone them. They handle it as a complaint and take you through the complaints procedure. If they offer you so much, be prepared to ring again. I said that I would be happy to pay so much towards an admin fee, but not £195. You do have to respond to the letter within 7 days, so be aware and Good Luck!!
  • daveyh_3
    Options
    I phoned the Halifax on 3rd August and made a claim. They took details as the Mortgage was originally took out with The Leeds then taken over by Halifax. They said they cant check it at that time as it has to go to a different department.

I phoned them back today because I hadnt heard anything. Chap checked my old account straightaway. Stated that no previous claim has been made, was I sure I had phoned?!!!!!!!!! Anyway, he did a quick calculation, £40 rebate from 1997. Checked with another department, and said I would have it in 5-7 days. Small amount, but at least a success.
    :beer:
  • ilovemycar
    Options
    :j came on this site which i have in my favourites i might add on mon 17th 07 sept typed a letter to dunfermline building society on the tues and posted it first class asking for my admin fee back i paid 150.00 for in 2005 friday 21st recieved a check for 75.00 which im happy about as it was 75.00 in 2005 and not 150.00 what they charged me.basically took them 2 days to reply good for them and me. im now on a mission look out you bad companies out there.:mad:
  • yve5555
    Options
    Following your advice - and 2 phone calls to the number quoted - received a cheque from Cheltenham & Gloucester for £154.39 (£130.00 plus interest) this week!!
    Thank you:j
  • Swattie
    Swattie Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just received a letter advising me to expect a cheque for £160 (paid £235 in Feb this year)
    Thank you:beer:
  • gary_turner_2
    Options
    haifax refunded £125 of £175 exit fee :T
  • blush2783_2
    Options
    Hello, success! Having got our Mortgage redemption statement through from Abbey a couple of days ago I noticed a repayment fee of £225 included. We had been on a 5 year fixed rate and are switching to another provider at the end of the mortgage in October so no early repayment charges. My dad said he'd seen articles on your website and after reading through them I contacted Abbey this morning on the phone and asked them what this was and why we were having to pay it. I was told a 'mistake' had been made and they should have put it £95. Again I asked where this was on my original documentation and was told they couldn't tell me over the phone as it wasn't on screen however I can try to reclaim it after the mortgage has been paid off. Whatever happend in terms of the £95 I am still pleased that one phonecall has meant a saving of £130. Thanks!:T
  • canch
    Options
    :confused: hi there,
    iv tried this morn get a result out of a secured loan company, called marazul which i settled with in aug 2006, iv asked what the exit fee was i was charged as it is`nt stated on paperwork after a lot of avoiding to answer he said around £250.00??? then told me to write a letter as he could`nt deal with case as its closed and does not see charge as unreasonable:eek: have drawn up letter and will await response.
    Kensington mortgages however have said they will look into my exit fee with them

:mad:
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Well... I have been receiving your newsletters for several months now but so far never registered to post on forums. However I had to tell you of my MEAF reclaiming successes!
    We have changed mortgage twice in the past 7 years, so first I rang the Halifax to see what they could offer me. I was told that we'd paid £60 exit fee as opposed to the £50 they'd advertised, so I was sent a cheque for the £10 difference. Not much, but £10 better in my pocket than theirs!

Then I wrote to the A&L: I had absolutely no idea what we'd paid them nor what we'd been supposed to pay, but going by the chart on this site I bluffed it and said that we'd paid £150 as opposed to the advertised £90, and claimed the balance of £60 + interest using your template letter. Imagine my surprise and delight then when an envelope plopped onto the mat this morning containing a cheque for £220! No idea how they worked this out, but needless to say it is now in my bank account! Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure