Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Options

Comments

• juliebanana
    Options
    just left alliance & leicester and was charged £195, despite my mortgage offer stating £85. when i rang i was told that was reduced; it should have been £295. she just quoted the varying fees line when i said it should have been £85.

have printed the template letter with my details and plan to write in. not v hopeful though. boo alliance & leicester
  • molocash_2
    Options
    I have remortgaged 3 times, once from Woolwich to GMAC, then to Abbey and are now with Nationwide.
    A few weeks ago I called The Woolwich and spent the total of 4 minutes on phone and had a small amount of £46 refunded directly to my account there and then, Wonderfull. Then made a call to Abbey and again was on the phone for a max of 5 minutes and 3 days later received a cheque for £160 in the post. GMAC is another story, they have been taken over by Amber Home Loans so it is prooving a tad more complicated but today I made another call and the confirmed that all the mortgage details have been pulled from their head office and I should hear in the next 5 working days.
    Amazing for a few simple phone calls, I have not even had to write any letters. (Yet)
    thanks
  • ojoj_2
    Options
    I read the article about reclaiming mortgage exit fees,and thought,we changed our mortgage twice from halifax to abbey then back again.I must admit i nearly didnt ring either bank through nerves and the unknown,but i did and after a five min call to halifax the very nice lady on the phone told me we would be recieving a cheque for £35.The cheque landed on our doormat 3 days later.I had to fill a form out for the abbey but that came 2 days later,so am just waiting to hear back from the abbey to see.....:T thanks for the brilliant info martin this truley is a great site to save moneyicon14.gif i just recieved a cheque from abbey for £126 that they'd overcharged us when we left them last year.what a result,many thanks martin again,without your excellent knowledge and site, i would never have known we could get any monies back.i have told a lot of family and friends to check their meaf to see if they too are owed any money back. ;0)
  • hannahsmum_2
    Options
    DAF3600 wrote: »
    After receiving my money tips email letter, i rung my bank Lloyds TSB and told them I was putting a letter together, re charges for handing over my deeds when i paid up my mortgage. The lady was very polite and after getting my details asked me to hold on, five minutes later she came back to me telling me my rebate of between £150 to £190 would be paid into my account in 5 to 6 days. This is a top result and all thanks go to Martin for informing us of our right to claim this charge or part of it back.

My Lloyds TSB story is very similar to the above, but I used Martin's sample letter. I had a very prompt response informing me of the reimbursement I expected plus reasonable interest on the sum. Shortly thereafter a cheque for the confirmed amount came through the post. But for Martin's e-mail tips, I would never have known, never have spent the time putting the letter together, never thought it would work but HURRAH!! for Martin Lewis. We are not worthy .....
  • nickitson
    Options
    Hi,

Martin for King! I made a six minute phone call to a very helpful young lady at the number posted for C&G and bingo :j I was told I was due £195 refund plus £8.28p interest. Cheque will be in the post but lady apologies because the current level of reclaims meant that it was taking around 15 working days to deal with each claim. Thanks Martin :D
  • N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife took out a mortgage in 2000 with Standard Life, which she left before the end of the fixed term in 2004 and we were hit with an early redemption fee, however she has just called up and they have told her she is not entitled to anything as the MEAF in 2000 was £150 and was still £150 when she left in 2004, just wondered if it was the guy on the phone just fobbing her off - unfortunately she cannot find the paperwork.
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    N20Y1D wrote: »
    My wife took out a mortgage in 2000 with Standard Life, which she left before the end of the fixed term in 2004 and we were hit with an early redemption fee, however she has just called up and they have told her she is not entitled to anything as the MEAF in 2000 was £150 and was still £150 when she left in 2004, just wondered if it was the guy on the phone just fobbing her off - unfortunately she cannot find the paperwork.

She agreed a fee of £150 in 2000 and she paid a fee of £150 in 2004. Therefore there is nothing to complain about and no refund due.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dazjonno
    Options
    Hi, Just wanted to let all you ex-Bradford & Bingley customers know that I got my exit fees back and I wasn't even sure if I had paid any! They charged us £200 instead of £50 and we got back £150 in less than 2 weeks. Thanks for the tip off and the template letter.
    :beer:
  • indigo196969
    Options
    used draft letter to write to coventry building society
    had a cheque today for £100
    wow great
  • melorac
    Options
    Sent off my letter today to Alliance and Leicester... after a friend told me about this. She got a cheque back for £100..... so heres hoping I get the same
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure