PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    ahh its always the art department - having been on a couple of art department nights out even with students there....
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I went to a grammar school too.We had to wear berets in the winter and straw boaters in the summer. The uniform was navy-I've hated that colour since then.

We had to wear two pairs of knickers-white ones and navy on top.Never been quite sure why.

We did needlework for the first two years then cookery in the third year. Only the "C" stream were expected to carry on with them for "O"level. My friend in the "B" stream had to really fight to be allowed to carry on with needlework.

The needlework teacher had been at school with my mother. Mum was the school's star needlewoman. Appaprently they used to show samples of her hemming to all the classes so it was asumed that I would be good at needlework too.Actually I hated sewing-although I like it now-so was pleased that I was in the "B" stream and could drop it early.
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2012 at 6:26PM
    Options
    PIC- I seem to remember prune juice being excellent - my dad had a hernia op and was extraordinarily bunged up afterwards, neighbour passed him a bottle of prune juice and it was "highly effective" very quickly IYSWIM. :)

ETA - I attended an all girls church high school originally - it was hell, "bullying is part of normal life I suggest your daughter gets over it" said the head teacher to my mum, she walked me out the door and I never went back - but the stress of being there left its toll and where i had been a bright confident student when I arrived I left a withdrawn and introverted sickly child. I then attended the local comp - it had a really bad reputation, and was incredibly rough, however the teachers worked with the pupils who wanted to learn so I learnt, I remember teaching classes when I was in second year onwards (teachers strikes).
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2012 at 6:46PM
    Options
    I can't remember who mentioned the basket for cookery with the cover over. A number of girls at school had those, seemed like The majority of them to me. I really wanted one too but had to make do with trying to take my efforts home in my school bag. I too had a disaster when I dropped and broke my flask of tomato soup.

My mum made my school skirts and knitted my cardigans so I looked different to the other girls. Very Embarrasing.

One of the art teachers there was rumoured to be having an affair with one of the sixth formers. They were certainly together after she left as her sister was in my class.

I hated school with a passion. Only a comp. All girls though. I don't think it did my confidence any good at all.
    Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    We had those baskets at our school too - they were a very important fashion accessory! The girls used them for their books, not just for DS lessons.

I collected the Freecycle jam jars - about 30 lovely Bon Maman compot jars, I'm so pleased!

During our clearing today I found an unopend jar of apple and rose hip jelly, made by our local jam maker (now a big busness!) the label say she made it in Sept 1995! I've tried it and it's fine, so will enjoy using that. Also found a wee M&S Christmas pudding, circa 1998. I have opened it and had a good sniff, it smells wonderful, so will be having that with a bit of custard :rotfl:. Honestly, Mr Trebus was a lightweight compared to us!

More stuff on Freecycle this evening, just one no-show so far, and it's nice to that stuff we dont need is going to good homes.

I am pooped, it's amazing how tiring this process is, but got to do pancakes tonight, did not get round to them last night.

Have a good evening everyone, just going for a nice hot soak!
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options

Katieowl - thank you i'm now going to have to get a copy of that book!!

:o Sorry - that's the Chinese one? £2.81 from Amaz*n - Bargain. If you like Chinese it will save you from buying a takeaway :rotfl: bet you can't even get a dish of 'flied lice' for £2.81 these days.

The pork cooked OK in the slow cooker. Half of it was sticking out of the cooking liquid so the skin isn't as jellified as it is usually. I'll either have to cook it during the day so I can keep turning it, or make sure the juice is deep enough to cover. Taste nice, which is the main thing.

If you decide to buy, it's good because apart from the stuff like soy sauce etc that he uses, there are no long lists of esoteric ingredients, he uses cabbage, onions, celery, carrots, no baby corn, shitake and mangetout peas (although of course if you pick some up whoopsied it will take you meal to a new level.

Kate
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    EstherH wrote: »

I hated school with a passion.

Me too. I was overjoyed to leave and do my own thing!

Kate
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsLurcher thank you for the recipe may help OH with one of the problems associated with his meds :D

I remember those baskets, they were bloomin heavy when loaded and useless on the bus home. We got upto more mischeif with our English teacher (a nun) she took us to York miracle plays and we watched them through a haze of tequila :eek:

Have sausages cooking very slowly in fry pan - seems to get all the rubbish out of them and they actually taste of something. Went to Mr T and was astounded at the prices, they really have shot up again. No whoopsies really so just got the basics ...again... :(

My aunt/godmother died yesterday at the grand old age of 98, feel quite sad really that she spent so many years sat at home waiting for life to happen. She thought that moving to be near her daughter and grand kids would ensure her a busy life but it didnt work out for her as the kids got lives of their own and had little time for her. In the last 2 years my cousin has retired, lost her hubby, Mum in law ( a saint of a country woman) and her Mum - its going to be a sad retirement unless she motivates herself. I just wish my aunt had stayed local to me as we would have spent lots of time with her. Am really glad my Mum didnt copy her and has lots of friends and interests and is as fit as a flea at 82. You really do only get out of life what you go and drag out of it :)
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading your reminisces about cooking at school. I too had a lovely basket and cover and still do have it somewhere and very much enjoyed cookery or Home Economics - in fact I still vividly remember many of my lessons. I excelled at it and won the school prize several years running. Otherwise i struggled at school so it gave me confidence.

All my kids have done Food Technology GCSEs (so 4 times) so know the curriculum by heart. There is a lot of cooking involved but also tweaking of recipes so they develop the recipes. My second son in now doing Domestic Science A level and I am really enjoying helping him develop his skills. We practice a lot at home and it has jogged me into re-learning and practicing my skills alongside him. Most importantly we have fun together and I have enjoyed passing on my tips to him.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    grandma247 wrote: »
    PIC grapes,nuts, rice and coconut along with plenty of liquids are very helpful. You could have a handful of grapes and nuts, a curry with coconut and rice or some hobnobs made with oats and some coconut

Bl**dy Hell! I'd have to go after eating all that!:rotfl: Ah, you said or...:)
    I am a Prunes and Custard sort of gal when it comes to de-bunging! Oh the simple things in life that make you happy!:D
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure