PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• paidinchickens
    Options
    grandma247 wrote: »
    PIC grapes,nuts, rice and coconut along with plenty of liquids are very helpful. You could have a handful of grapes and nuts, a curry with coconut and rice or some hobnobs made with oats and some coconut

ummmm Hobnobs :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    PIC - Dont know if this will help but when my youngest was 8 she developed an anal fissure and we were told to up her fibre intake but she was a picky kiddy and had lots of allergies including dairy foods so we came up with a biscuit recipe that really helped 'High Fibre Crunchy Biscuits' - 4 oz Margarine, 4 oz Dark Soft Brown sugar, 1 tablespoon runny Honey, 1 egg, 2 oz 100% wholemeal flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 2 oz Porridge Oats, 2 oz Dessicated Coconut, 1 oz Chopped Nuts, 1 oz Bran and 1 teaspoon mixed spice or cocoa powder - mix all well together roll into walnut sized balls, put on grreased baking trays and flatten a little. Bake at 190 Deg C/ Fan Oven 170 Deg C/ Gas Mk 5 for 15 minutes - they certainly helped with bulk and she liked them very much. Hope this is some help Cheers Lyn.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All these reminiscences of school! It's amazing how many people on here are ex-grammar school. Is that a pre-requisite for being frugal in later life??? lol:)

And yes, I confess to having attended grammar school - wishing I had listened a bit more in Latin lessons, although really enjoyed French & German.

We did do cookery & needlework. fortunately both were fairly practical - I still have my cookery book, and after making bread then scones, we made "an economical bakewell tart". I have never made it since, but the economy was in using rice flour and almond flavouring rather than whatever the more expensive ingredient was. Also, I remember a chocolate cake recipe which I have made since, which used cooking oil rather than marg or butter, so was easy to mix. Obviously our teacher was rather a sensible soul!

I think these two were the only "non-academic" subjects taught. We were supposed to be high fliers & not go into any menial jobs. I let the side down by leaving part-way through the lower 6th and taking a job in an office, where we were sent to college for 3 years, I chose (horror of horrors as far as my school was concerned!:eek:) to do a secretarial course. I was not invited to school speech day to receive my O level certificates! To this day I don't know whether it was an oversight as I had left mid-term, or whether I was a bit of a disappointment!!!! :p

Oh well - it's all a long while ago, and overall I am grateful for the education I had there. I can't say that being in a single-sex school stopped any of us from meeting boys. As the school was in the Big Town, 10 miles away, we were given train passes. So we met not only the boys from the grammar school over the road, but also pupils from the catholic school, technical high (later comprehensive) and the Anglo European, and girls from the Ursuline school (who had to wear hats that looked like felt cake tins - we did feel sorry for them!) The great thing about train passes was that they could be used at weekends and evenings too! What fun!:D
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    grandma247 wrote: »
    PIC grapes,nuts, rice and coconut along with plenty of liquids are very helpful. You could have a handful of grapes and nuts, a curry with coconut and rice or some hobnobs made with oats and some coconut
    Blimey PIC., if that doesn't get you going I've got some fireworks left from November :rotfl:
    Normal people worry me.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Chipps I went to an Ursuline and we had to wear brown felt pillbox hats which were like, yes, cake tins. But that paled into insignificance beside the blazers - brown, royal blue and yellow stripes:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    My DD is bright and we investigated our closest grammar school - about 10 miles away. At the open evening the head stood up and said "we are the best, we only take the best and we only produce the best. We are a highly academic, high achieving school who sends many of our girls to Oxbridge". I could barely leave the place fast enough. Totally unsuitable for my daughter - what happened to developing rounded human beings? Yet colleagues are coaching their girls to get them in there. it does obviously depend on the child - my daughter could cope with the academic side (she is an A/A* student - at a local comp) but I think developmentally it could have wrecked her.

Sounds like my old school! We genuinely had teachers that would stand up at the front, Miss Jean Brody style, and declare that we were the creme de la creme!! Loathed the place. Not sure it damaged me developmentally (unlike the boys school down the road which turned out lads incapable of stringing a sentence together in front of a girl!) however it certainly damaged my education as it put me off so badly I've only just gone back to do a degree (with the Open University) last year.

As far as home ec went we did so little as the home ec teacher was so OCD about the cleaning in the kitchen that she didn't like us to use the cookers in case we made a mess! So in 3 half years (we did needlework the other half of the year) we made sandwiches, fairy cakes, one starter, one main course and one pudding! Good job my parents taught me to cook! I tired to get the school interested in doing some basic cooking skills for 6th formers (seeing as they expected us to all go on to uni) such as spag bol, soup, stew, hm pizza. Got shot down in flames as why would anyone be interested/need that - you're all academic and going to uni and to get 'proper jobs'!
  • Chipps
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Chipps I went to an Ursuline and we had to wear brown felt pillbox hats which were like, yes, cake tins. But that paled into insignificance beside the blazers - brown, royal blue and yellow stripes:eek::eek::eek::eek:

yep, those are the ones!

I was glad it wasn't me!:D
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My mother died when I was 16 so I boarded at the school after that. The boarders had a separate uniform that we had to change into after lessons. Grey skirt, grey cardigan and blue blouse. It was almost normal compared with the day uniform of brown skirt, orange striped blouse and brown cardigan with blue and orange stripes on the band.

What were they thinking of???

I had to go back to that part of the world recently and I saw a girl in the current uniform. Still brown but with a plain brown jumper and cream shirt. Do they still have the blazers?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Chipps
    Options
    I don't know about the blazers as I don't travel in that direction in the mornings as I did at school & when I first started work (which was more than a few years ago!) I'm glad the uniform has improved over the years!
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like my old school! We genuinely had teachers that would stand up at the front, Miss Jean Brody style, and declare that we were the creme de la creme!! Loathed the place. Not sure it damaged me developmentally (unlike the boys school down the road which turned out lads incapable of stringing a sentence together in front of a girl!) however it certainly damaged my education as it put me off so badly I've only just gone back to do a degree (with the Open University) last year.

As far as home ec went we did so little as the home ec teacher was so OCD about the cleaning in the kitchen that she didn't like us to use the cookers in case we made a mess! So in 3 half years (we did needlework the other half of the year) we made sandwiches, fairy cakes, one starter, one main course and one pudding! Good job my parents taught me to cook! I tired to get the school interested in doing some basic cooking skills for 6th formers (seeing as they expected us to all go on to uni) such as spag bol, soup, stew, hm pizza. Got shot down in flames as why would anyone be interested/need that - you're all academic and going to uni and to get 'proper jobs'!

LOL I was at a mixed sex comprehensive in Sarf London, twas grim while I was there, all sorts of 'stuff'* went on, I couldn't get out fast enough...I left just before my 16th birthday. Shortly thereafter they couldn't control the place, despite having security patrolling the corridors, and shut it down :eek: Mind you compared to some of what went on in DD's school more recently, it was pretty good, as the trouble makers never bothered to show up except at going home time to make their sales for the day. Now days the trouble makers turn up, stay and make trouble all day as far as I can see.

* we used to get served in the pub across the road in our school uniforms. We were often in there with the teachers from the art department. You couldn't make it up!!!

Kate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport