PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    jamanda wrote: »
    PS why when I quote somebody doesn't it come in a little box like everybody elses? I just get a scruffy bit of text.

I think it's because you have to make sure that [/QUOTE] is at the end of the text. I sometimes delete the [/QUOTE] at the end when I'm deleting some of the text to just quote the bit that is relevant.

Hope that's clearer than mud :cool: Hope to help anyway :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fuddle

If you can get to a Boyses shop (Whitby, York,Redcar area) they have bras that should have been £30 reduced to £4. I got a Slendour one that is also a minimiser one and was so pleased at the comfort and fit I went back for another one.

Have left over chicken pie so going to put a little of it into a small pottery dish so it looks posher and will make one helping - then add the chicken and mushroom extra filling to home made mushroom soup, make a few pancakes and fill them to make what looks like a new dish.

Every turns their nose up at what they had yesterday - but if I portion it out and freeze some then they will happily eat it. (Never tell them what you have done).;)

Might make apple crumble tonight and use left over twinks crumbled as a topping.

Going out to look at charity shop before it closes so see you later.

Hugs
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Tins do breed in captivity in optimum conditions. These conditions are !) that you dont really want the tins and 2) that you do really want the space they're in!
    Just reading all the doom & gloom and news and thinking Fuddle, your name for this thread is wrong. You shudda called it TS has HTF thread :D:D:D
  • fuddle
    Options
    Call it what you like, easily changed ;) although I divnee dare say shoite

I haven't hit the news all day. Ignorance is bliss when you feel quite happy in your own little world. I think we should call it TS has HTF.... and broke the fan!!
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elona - how on earth do you manage to have leftover twinks?:eek:
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2011 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Greyqueen - do your tomatoes want some pasta to play with? I may have a kilo or 12 hanging around in a back cupboard somewhere :rotfl: (re new things to store, chocolate and coffee if you see either cheap)
    Decluttered some for the kids for lunch today though, with last night's LO bolognese. Made first batch of bread dough in my new (very old!) Kenwood Chef, to go with soup I made yesterday (yet another container full that tastes funny got chucked today :mad: I blame the containers from Matalan, hope the batch in the Ice cream tub is ok for dinner...)
    Set up my savings account and a standing order (weekly). If we have money left over at the end of a month I will put that there too.
    I tend to not tell DH I am saving, he prefers the surprise. A few years ago he called me almost in tears to say his car had been broken into and his tools stolen. He's a gardener, self employed, so it was pretty bad for him, no insurance as we can't find any that covers that. He was completely amazed when he came home the following day to find I had ordered him second hand replacements on ebay, costing over £600 as I had been saving money for emergencies (if I had told him he would have found things to spend it on). He often proudly tells people that story... I am proud too, I was only 24 at the time, we had young children, I could have easily (like many friends) been spending all our money on Mcdonalds, DVDs, a big TV etc, but I chose to meal plan and save pennies where I could. No idea where I get this from, I am currently helping my parents with their debt problems so it's not from them!

ETA - I get it from reading posts on here of course!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keeping warm.
    Fleece is very good for keeping you warm. You could make vests for all by using an existing one as a pattern just cut out and sew together,no need to hem anything, Also you could make leg warmers 1980's style and even wrist warmers and hats.
    Years ago many of us could not heat our homes adequately either because of cost or because we did not have central heating etc. Our babies were put to bed in hats and gloves as well as sleeping bags or suits and many of us used cot quilts (not recommended in homes with the heating on all the time nowadays). During the day my ds as well as the girls had thick tights on under their trousers and I knitted pure wool vests for them. they are all still alive and very healthy grown ups with kids of their own.

Gq
    Reading about those rich kids made me sad too.

We married in '73 and our first four children never knew what it was like to have money until they were much older in the 90's when we moved south an dh got a better job. Mrs T saw to it that it did not last as we lost our home and income when the recession came. We survived and now have a mortgage that would be affordable even on the dole.

The girls do not seem to have been affected negatively but ds1 who was always picky about food will only eat what he wants now, but that is no longer my problem so that's ok. It was only recently after talking to ddil I realised how hard done to he felt. She understood perfectly how poor we were back then and has explained it to him. She was in the fortunate position of being comfortable since adulthood but had a childhood of being poor but loved.

DD1 says they had a tornado yesterday and she was so thankful it stopped before she had to collect dgd1 from school.

ginnyknit your childhood sounds amazing, its the sort of thing I would love for my kids. I have been teaching my twelve year old son to use my sewing machine and the other day he made me 24 dish cloths out of an old roller towel that I had for years. He was practising straight sewing and he is very good. I found an ebook on the internet called sewing for boys so that will be bought soon. It has stuff like a holdall and a bicycle bag in it.

Hawthorn I used to bath my kids in the baby bath in the living room in front of the fire because it was so expensive to heat the water with the immersion. I had a huge kettle that was put on the gas stove and the baby bath was also large so even the biggest kid could sit in it. He had to have it behind the sofa though so we couldn't see him :)

Fuddle I cut my own hair and have done the last three or so years. I just stand with my feet apart and turn my head upside down and cut across in a smile shape. It gives me layers in my shoulder length hair. My hair is naturally curly but is heavy so goes a bit straight when it is longer.

Taurus good to see you posting and I hope all goes to plan for your op.

I have finally caught up,can you tell?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Nah I'm just bein evil. (But I enjoy it so much) :D
    However its a bloody good job we have this thread innit!
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    GQ - TS has HTF = the brown stuff has clobbered the air freshener, sort of :D
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • fuddle
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) OK, I know I can be a bit slow sometimes but what does that mean, please?

TS has HTF = the 'something' has hit the fan ;)

Mardatha I need for this thread to be here because I feel better going through this with you all. It maybe doom and gloom but it's reality and it sheer beats dealing with it in your own head.

I'm on tenterhooks in case it kicks off again and we lose it again. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport